Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 09:23 AM
cstamper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like EvanWCbus, from Columbus, OH, and also trying to find various paths to ride around the city. My son and I like to ride as often as possible. We've ridden the Olentangy path from Worthington to downtown and back and the Alum Creek path from Westerville/Lewis Center to Sunbury Rd. and back. I'm not sure what else there is yet. We're both just starting back into it and just getting our two-wheel legs back. We both eventually want to head out on the roads proper. I live on the NE side and work in Dublin and would like to find a way to commute but the most direct way is SR 161 and seems much to dangerous to ride even during non rush hour times.
Old 08-22-08, 08:44 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Ypsilanti, MI. Mostly a commuter, though a local bike group meets on sunday afternoons, and I usually take part in their rides. Have been considering looking up the "Ann Arbor Touring Society" But I fear my Bull Horned bike might not fit the Roadie Drop Scene...
Old 08-27-08, 12:54 PM
MIH-Dave

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2, 2001 Schwinn Sierra GS, 1989 Raliegh Technium 420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Dearborn Heights, MI. Mostly a rec & family rider. Used to do tours with my parents, but since starting my own family I've only rode in an annual charity ride (https://www.bikeprogram.org). I only do their 12 mile loop and end up working the rest of the day.
Old 08-27-08, 07:33 PM
Kimbercop

Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
North Aurora, IL - 40 miles straight west of Chicago - my daily loop takes me from home to north of St Charles (on both sides of the river) and back south to the south side of Downtown Aurora, and back home. MUP all the way, except for the one mile from my house. It's a 30 mile loop.
JTADDEI "hah i've probably seen you too. I live in aurora right next to fermilab. The batavia spur is literally less than a mile from my doorstep. I've probably seen you as I like to ride up to 64 (north ave) on the east side of the river... mainly on saturday mornings/afternoons.

I'll wave if I ever see you."

If you both ride thru St. Charles during daylight hours then I'm sure to have seen you. I work dayshift and eye every bike carefully as it rolls thru town. Wave at the cop staring at you next time and I'll wave back.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 08-29-08, 12:07 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BassClef
I'm in Hoffman Estates, NW suburb of Chicago. Most recently, I ride a few of the forest preserve paths around here, the Illinois Prairie Path, local streets, and the Fox River path strictly for fun. I've also been known to seek out single track paths when I can (Deer Grove, Busse Woods, and a few others areas).
I ride the Fox River path a fair amount. It's about 6 blocks from my house in St. Charles. Ride through HE once in awhile when I commute to work in Palatine. Also sometimes stop if driving home, unload the bike, and ride some of the forest preserve paths.
Check out the BFNIC Invitaitional for a no-drop non-competitive (for most of us) informal group ride (yeah, that "invitational" title makes it sound pretty impressive/competitive, but it's just a bunch of good people who like to ride getting together). Usually some slower/some faster riders. Find your niche and meet some new people!
Old 08-30-08, 08:21 PM
noodlenoggin

Bikes: 1988-ish Cannondale mountain bike; mid 1970's Vista Workhorse (cruiser project); 1970's Schwinn StingRay L'il Chik (project for my oldest daughter); We also have an old, purple Schwinn StingRay L'il Tiger around here somewhere; Various kids' bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traverse City, MI area here. I mostly ride on the country roads around here, or to the hardware store that's 1/2 mile from my house. I'm on again-off again restoring a couple of bicycles.
Old 08-31-08, 07:41 AM
Kimbercop

Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice area you have up there. Spent some of my summer there and rode out to the old mission point. Wish that was my normal ride..Awesome area for riding I'm quite jealous.

Originally Posted by noodlenoggin
Traverse City, MI area here. I mostly ride on the country roads around here, or to the hardware store that's 1/2 mile from my house. I'm on again-off again restoring a couple of bicycles.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 08-31-08, 07:52 AM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodlenoggin
I am in Boyne city an hour north, Welcome. Next Sunday I am doing a VERY HILLY Century if you want to do it. We will start in Bellaire about 1/2 hour north of you.
Old 08-31-08, 08:01 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've expanded my loop to include Oswego. So it's home, to the boy Scout office and Potowatamie in St Charles, to Oswego, then back to North Aurora. I ride both sides of the river, as far as I can. I'm the old guy on a big black Specialized Crosstrail.
Old 09-07-08, 01:19 PM
djweaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm seventeen and a senior in high school, my buddies and i usually ride the metroparks to berea on the weekends. also if there is anyone interested in the area, we are looking to start a youth cycling club.
Old 09-15-08, 08:25 PM
Rodjs
longhaulwannabe

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820 Hard Tail, 1984 Schwinn World, 1980 Schwinn Voyeguer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mishawaka here! The county roads south of here are great, I commute 13 miles to work on a Paver east of Elkhart whenever the weather allows, I'm a machinist, so getting wet in the morning would make for a crappy day.
Old 09-15-08, 08:33 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodjs
Mishawaka here! The county roads south of here are great, I commute 13 miles to work on a Paver east of Elkhart whenever the weather allows, I'm a machinist, so getting wet in the morning would make for a crappy day.
I had a lot of fraternity brothers form there. Penn High School football players. Never let anyone forget it either.

Also got to call on a lot of shops in the area with my last job.

Old 09-16-08, 08:52 PM
Rodjs
longhaulwannabe

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820 Hard Tail, 1984 Schwinn World, 1980 Schwinn Voyeguer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife was a Penn High Grad, 90'. I was raised in south Fla, been movin around quite a bit last ten yrs, figure its about time to settle down here in her home town. Lookin forward to making good friends on here. Planning on a very long ride some day, maybe Alaska.
Old 09-16-08, 09:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodjs
My wife was a Penn High Grad, 90'. I was raised in south Fla, been movin around quite a bit last ten yrs, figure its about time to settle down here in her home town. Lookin forward to making good friends on here. Planning on a very long ride some day, maybe Alaska.
She was just a tad bit too old to know these guys. I might know one or two people that she may have known but it would be a stretch. These guys wer younger than me and graduated most likely in 94.

Old 09-17-08, 07:18 PM
noisy.ant

Bikes: 97 Schwinn Moab 1, 06 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Pake' C'mute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from the northwest side of Chicago. Just getting back into biking as a hobby. I picked up my first ever road bike on Ebay recently - a 96 Fugi Newest 1.0 - and have started riding the North Branch trail and others. My goal is to do a century next summer. I've got a little blog going about my trials and tribulations of reaching this goal. (https://noisyant.blogspot.com) I've also got a "vintage" '97 Schwinn Moab 1 MTB that I also brought down from the rafters that I've been using for some runs to the grocery store, and some rides along the lake front. Finally, I've got a groovy little Mongoose BMX bike that I rescued from a trash can and restored that I use for tooling around the driveway on with my daughter who just got up on two wheels this summer.

So far this site has been a tremendous source of information. I look forward to hanging around this joint.

-T.
Old 09-18-08, 07:59 PM
Specialized Kid
Eh....

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc..... 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently living in Monroe, WI. which is about 45 minutes south of Madison. I do most of my riding around here and northern IL. Went to Blue Mounds for the first time a few weeks ago, and I plan on going back very soon.
Old 09-20-08, 07:04 AM
Taz

Bikes: Schwinn, Trek, Gary Fisher & Strida

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Chicago. NW Side

I ride almost everyday to and from the train and my office. And on weekends around the NW Side.

I also repair and sell bikes from my garage.

GO GUBS!
Old 09-24-08, 01:00 PM
Skylar
Full Clout Y'all

Bikes: Right now, 8-10 various steeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ann Arbor here. Desperately looking for local contacts, I want a bike to ride, and friends to ride with. I have neither.
Old 09-24-08, 02:44 PM
William53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride to my office in Algoma, WI (northeast Wisconsin on Lake Michigan) from my home in the boonies. 15 miles round-trip.
Old 09-24-08, 06:53 PM
Beccaree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone ride in Carol Stream, IL? I ride down the Lies road MUP through the forest preserve at the end several times a week. I always see other people out and wonder if any of them post here.
Old 09-30-08, 09:21 PM
alfie43

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Shelby Township, Michigan, an oak and maple "burb" in N/E Metro-Detroit. A "recovering runner" who is now a daily fitness cyclist and soon-to-be-Icebiker (https://www.icebike.org/). I don't commute, I ride everyday and try to maintain a target heart rate for 12-15 miles.

Last edited by alfie43; 11-26-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 07:09 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by alfie43
Shelby Township, Michigan, an oak and maple "burb" in N/E Metro-Detroit. A "recovering runner" who is now a daily fitness cyclist and soon-to-be-Icebiker (https://www.icebike.org/).
I must have seen you at some time along the Macomb Orchard Trail. I ride out that way sometimes for breakfast in Romeo, or on the way to Stony Creek to do a couple of laps. We do have some good places to ride around here, whether you're looking to do a destination ride or a fitness ride!
Old 10-04-08, 09:41 PM
alfie43

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Doug,
I haven't cycled the Macomb Orchard yet. Interesting comment you made that we have nice places to ride. I haven't found that to be true. You must be talking about those great trails in Oakland County; Paint Creek, Clinton River, etc.

I am located a few miles east of your Roch Hills location. I am near the ShelbyTwp / Macomb Twp border (25 Mile Rd and Schoenherr, nothing but dangerous "Mile Roads" for me.

Where do you most frequently ride...I'll watch for you. I am retired, so I ride during the day...every day.

Last edited by alfie43; 11-26-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 07:19 AM
ogedn

Bikes: Not sure, found it at a yard sale. it is old and the guy at the bike store was able to put new rubber and tubes on it and new grears. When I asked him what brand it was he asked which part was I asking about. He did say it was the right size for me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greeting from Springport, Mi. I have just started riding as my Doc said not to run any more. I have no clue what I am doing, if I am doing it right or wrong all I know is that I am enjoying it.
Jeff
Old 10-06-08, 08:18 AM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ogedn
Greeting from Springport, Mi. I have just started riding as my Doc said not to run any more. I have no clue what I am doing, if I am doing it right or wrong all I know is that I am enjoying it. Jeff

Sounds like you are doing it right.

Is springport between Lansing and Jackson? It sounds familiar and we moved to Northern Michigan from south of Lansing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.