Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

do campy derailleurs work with newer Ergo brifters?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 11:25 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering doing a rebuild on my old ride with some older classic nuovo stuff and was wondering if it would work with Ergos? I know with shimano, you can pretty much use any derailleur and it is really about the chain width/cassette/STI. Is this the case with campy products?
Old 10-04-08, 02:01 AM
5vforest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they're all for the same amount of speeds, probably yes. I doubt that's true though.
Old 10-04-08, 02:02 AM
rmwkokomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are talking about using derailleurs designed for 5-6 speeds with current 10 or 11 speed indexed shifters? Not likely that would be workable with any manufacturer's components.

The keys are how far the derailleur moves laterally for any given cable movement and total possible travel. It might be an interesting experiment but modern derailleurs are so much better than the old ones I can't see the attraction of preserving them other than on a friction shifting bike.
Old 10-04-08, 12:15 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could run Nuovo Record with Centaur hubs/cassette/shifter and rear mech. Friction derailleurs and index shifters don't work together, and Campagnolo has changed the derailleur geometry a couple of times too.
Old 10-04-08, 12:28 PM
well biked

Liked 167 Times in 92 Posts
With Nuovo Record, you're talking '60's/'70's parts, they won't work with Campy indexing. For that matter, Shimano parts from that time won't work with modern Shimano shifters either. You've got to at least get Shimano (excluding 8 speed and earlier Dura Ace, that's another story) from the indexed shifting era ('80's and later)-
Old 10-04-08, 02:29 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies..
what year did ergo shifters come out? Are they compatible with say.. a c-record made for synchro shifters?
Old 10-04-08, 10:17 PM
rmwkokomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenote157
thanks for all the replies..
what year did ergo shifters come out? Are they compatible with say.. a c-record made for synchro shifters?
They came out about 92 (8 speed). Even then the cable pull distance was slightly different than the Synchros. Current ergos are much different.