Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

A rack that attaches to the seapost and the chainstays?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 07:12 PM
pannierpacker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do they make any racks that attach not to the frame but to the seatpost and then the normal mounts by the chainstays?
My friend has a weird pike that sorta has a seatpost hanging in midair and we are trying to think of a solution.
Old 09-24-08, 08:06 PM
Fredmertz51

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used a Cateye reflector clamp and ran a single brace from a standard rack to the seatpost. Actually have the setup now on my Trek SU100. Trouble free.
Old 09-25-08, 01:59 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I`we seen them attached to the seatpost. I`we attached to the chainstay myself. Maybe also axel is possible?

Try to find out if this bike is a "full suspension" or if the strange shape gives it a bit of shock absorbing effect in witch case a totally rigid rack could be a problem
Old 09-29-08, 09:10 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pannierpacker
Do they make any racks that attach not to the frame but to the seatpost and then the normal mounts by the chainstays? ...
Yes. Axiom's Odyssée Seatpost clamps to the seatpost and the chainstay braze ons; its rated to take up to 25 Kg. I have one of their non-seatpost models and like it. They also have a variety of models for difficult fits including several road bike models, one of which mounts to the rear caliper brake mount and the rear wheel's skewer, and heavy-duty models, one rated to 150 Kg (more than most of us weigh).
Old 09-30-08, 03:10 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Red rock racks attach near the axle and to the brake bosses; they'll work on a suspended bike or an odd frame.
Old 10-12-08, 04:09 PM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay. I bought a cheap pannier rack from the MSU Bike Project, thinking I could fit it from the braze-ons on the seat stays and also onto the braze-ons near the rear axle. It had one of those "universal" sets of hardware. It didn't fit because I couldn't stretch the hardware that was supposed to connect the front of the rack to the seat stays. If I attached the hardware to the braze-ons, the rack wasn't horizontal.

My solution: I attached the hardware, instead, to the spindle for the quick-release on the seat tube. It works perfectly. It's plenty strong. I was able to adapt and overcome. That's my two cents.
Old 10-13-08, 08:08 AM
Esteban32696

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can add support to that rear rack that hangs by itself & only attaches to seatpost, by getting some metal rails & bolt these to the inner flanges of the rack, & attach the other end to the hole for the fender brace .
Old 10-14-08, 03:25 AM
Fred Mertz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am Fred and I joined this forum a short time ago. I would like to suggest to Pannierpacker that Old Man Mountain has a rack that would suit your friends needs. Go to oldmanmountain.com. Just my 2 cents.