Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fork Rake

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fork Rake

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 04:59 PM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Rake

I am looking to replace my Bontrager Race fork. I am looking to not go back with ButtRanger, and I'm liking the look of the Reynolds. The problem is that my current rake is 45mm and that's kind of hard to find. Oval and Alpha Q have a 44mm which I may actually like better. Reynolds only makes 40 and 43mm. I can see 44 as not being a big deal but less than that has me worried that it could be a bad thing. What issues could I run into here?
Old 10-20-08, 05:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
The more rake you have the less trail you have, and vice versa. Plugging some numbers in shows that going from a 45mm fork to a 40mm fork (assuming a headtube angle of 74.5*, I took this number from the CAAD9), your trail will go from 40 mm to 45 mm.

This will make your bike more stable, but less precise. If you want better handling, go with more rake. If you want more stable, go with less rake.

What does this mean in the real world? I have no clue.
Old 10-20-08, 05:22 PM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 73° head tube.
Old 10-20-08, 05:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Cdy291
I have a 73° head tube.
Then it will change your trail from 48mm to 53mm if you go from 45 mm rake to 40 mm. So you already have a lot more trail than a CAAD9 (everyone's favorite bike around here, hence my example bike), which is going to make your bike more stable. If you want to make it a little more sporty feeling I can't think of any reason not to go with a 40mm rake fork.

I'm pretty sure that you can't change rake enough (without a weird fork) to get clearance issues between the wheel and downtube, but I could be wrong.

This is the site I'm using BTW: https://www.kogswell.com/geo.php
Old 10-20-08, 09:48 PM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So contradicting what I said earlier if I could get a Bontrager Race X Lite fork brand new in box for $49, with a 40mm rake that would work ok. If I understand what you are say Flat to give my bike the same rake as a CAAD9 I would need ~43mm rake? 40mm to me sounds like its just to short.

Last edited by Cdy291; 10-20-08 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 07:31 AM
rmwkokomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Then it will change your trail from 48mm to 53mm if you go from 45 mm rake to 40 mm. So you already have a lot more trail than a CAAD9 (everyone's favorite bike around here, hence my example bike), which is going to make your bike more stable. If you want to make it a little more sporty feeling I can't think of any reason not to go with a 40mm rake fork.

I'm pretty sure that you can't change rake enough (without a weird fork) to get clearance issues between the wheel and downtube, but I could be wrong.

This is the site I'm using BTW: https://www.kogswell.com/geo.php
Not sure what you are entering in the calculator to get those results. My CAAD9 has 56mm of trail. If I put a 40mm rake fork on it would go to 60mm trail.
Old 10-21-08, 07:40 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by rmwkokomo
Not sure what you are entering in the calculator to get those results. My CAAD9 has 56mm of trail. If I put a 40mm rake fork on it would go to 60mm trail.
I dunno. I just put it in again and got those numbers. My tire diameter might have been off.