Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

rear disk brake on fixed gear?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 10:35 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts

(Search function is down. I promise to look again later.)

Any hubs out there that are fixed on one side and have a disk mount on the other side?

Seems like I remember you can get an Eno hub set up this way, but I don't want an Eno hub.

jim
Old 11-06-08, 10:40 AM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about brands but as you probably already know you could do a suicide covert to get a disc/fixed hub. Lots of disc compatible hubs out there with proper spacing for mtb (which I assuming you are doing). I would probably go disc/suicide for convenience/price and since you will be using the brake to be slowing down I don't think you would be putting a lot of stress on the fixed cog so I wouldn't worry about the suicide convert.
Old 11-06-08, 10:45 AM
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil Wood makes one with mountain bike rear spacing (135 mm). The MSRP is $279.

MTB Single Speed Hub Specifications & Web Prices
Old 11-06-08, 10:46 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Originally Posted by jhaber
Not sure about brands but as you probably already know you could do a suicide covert to get a disc/fixed hub. Lots of disc compatible hubs out there with proper spacing for mtb (which I assuming you are doing). I would probably go disc/suicide for convenience/price and since you will be using the brake to be slowing down I don't think you would be putting a lot of stress on the fixed cog so I wouldn't worry about the suicide convert.
Yeah, I can find at least three hubs like this: Surly, Dimension, and Paul. But, I really want to do this one right. Would like to have a counter-threaded lockring on there.

What about a disk/disk hub and I could Tomicog on it? That would be totally cool.

jim
Old 11-06-08, 11:07 AM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be very very shocked if anyone made a disk/disk hub. If you didn't do something like a tomicog the hub would be useless except as a truly free-wheel wheel, one that could not even be pedaled.

For what its worth I am pretty happy with my tomicog fixed convert with v-brake on my 29er. I am equally happy with my track hub setup and my suicide setup. As long as they are all setup properly they get the job done equally well I feel.

Last edited by jhaber; 11-06-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-06-08, 11:42 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly is introducing a disc fixed hub, and phil wood will make you one.
Old 11-06-08, 12:26 PM
fivehoursfree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran into this over at MTBR:
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=464614
Old 11-06-08, 12:47 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Hmm. That thread is from 2005. It mentions that Surly is coming out with the disk/fixed hub in Spring of 2006. I do not see it on their website however.

jim
Old 11-06-08, 01:17 PM
vbwstripes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long did it take to get your tomicog? I feel like I've been waiting forever.
Old 11-06-08, 01:31 PM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vbwstripes
How long did it take to get your tomicog? I feel like I've been waiting forever.
2-3 weeks.
Old 11-06-08, 02:36 PM
lollerskatez
indestructible

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-06-08, 03:50 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

I ordered two tomicogs this summer. I got them within a couple of days. It was like magic. I have also found that they (or maybe he) answered a handful of email questions promptly also.

jim
Old 11-06-08, 03:53 PM
Kol.klink
my bike Owns me+my wallet

Bikes: Px-10 singeld, 2007 KHS filte 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed+ rear brake=pointless and annoying
Old 11-06-08, 04:17 PM
alheim
ride

Bikes: iro / bianchi / soma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even more pointless is that picture above of the guy with only a disc in the back, and no brake in the front. why?
Old 11-06-08, 04:43 PM
sneaky viking
bum style

Bikes: Poprad, Fuji conversion, Quattro Assi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use this

https://www.bikeman.com/HU9020.html?u...ign=GoogleBase

and any Shimano disk hub.

Also, whoever suggested suicide conversion: good luck finding a disk hub with a thread-on freewheel.

AND you will have to worry about chain tension and aligning the disks in the caliper. This is why the ENO comes in disk; you set up the disks and get your chain length and everything it's easy to pull the wheel because you still have vertical dropouts. Or you'll see some frames with vertical dropouts and disks, and they'll have an eccentric BB up front. I'm not explaining this well, but horizontal dropouts + disk brakes doesn't work well.

It would be WAY easier to just get a custom disk fork up front.

Last edited by sneaky viking; 11-06-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 04:55 PM
yahnming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without sounding like a dickhead, I think this is generally a pointless idea. The beauty of a fixed gear ride is the connection of your legs to the drivetrain. If one wants to put a brake on for safety, that's one thing, but there's really no point to spending the cash/energy on putting a DISK brake on your rear wheel if you're riding fixed.

Now, if you wanted to rig up a SINGLE SPEED with a pair of disk brakes, I'm all for this. Disk brakes are beautiful on freewheel/geared bikes. I think it's kind of counter-intuitive to put one on a fixie.
Old 11-06-08, 05:18 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yahnming
Without sounding like a dickhead, I think this is generally a pointless idea. The beauty of a fixed gear ride is the connection of your legs to the drivetrain. If one wants to put a brake on for safety, that's one thing, but there's really no point to spending the cash/energy on putting a DISK brake on your rear wheel if you're riding fixed.

Now, if you wanted to rig up a SINGLE SPEED with a pair of disk brakes, I'm all for this. Disk brakes are beautiful on freewheel/geared bikes. I think it's kind of counter-intuitive to put one on a fixie.
^ absolute hogwash. Although a front disk brake would be better than a rear..but you also never said if you were going to do a front or not.
Old 11-06-08, 05:19 PM
militantmuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yahnming

I hate when people say stuff like this. Everyone has different needs, mate. It's not counterproductive for everyone.
Old 11-06-08, 05:20 PM
croscoe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.surlybikes.com/surlyblog.html

Scroll down a bit and there it is.
Old 11-06-08, 05:47 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

-I found at least 3 companies that make a disk/freewheel hub. This is a fairly popular ss set up.

-track ends and disk does present an extra degree of complexity, but the frame I am using (Karate Monkey) has slotted disk tabs, so it is not so hard to adjust them if needed.

-Why do it? Not sure I need to defend the use of a complete brake set-up. And in this case, there is an additional reason: I want to set this bike up for switching back and forth between geared and fixed. Admittedly, it will be somewhat delicate to make it all work out right so that I can do that without redoing the brake set-up every time. And I am certainly considering setting it up with v-brakes on the rear (and disk up front) to save some grief. Need to get the components in hand to see how feasible it is.

jim

Last edited by jgedwa; 11-06-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 05:50 PM
sneaky viking
bum style

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 complete bikes in your sig and 6 in progress with no mention of the Karate Monkey. And you want to be able to switch it back and forth between fixed and geared?!

Dude, you have 16 other bikes!
Old 11-06-08, 06:07 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Originally Posted by sneaky viking
10 complete bikes in your sig and 6 in progress with no mention of the Karate Monkey. And you want to be able to switch it back and forth between fixed and geared?!

Dude, you have 16 other bikes!
And those are just the ones I bothered to list. Could be worse; its better than doing crack for a hobby.

jim
Old 11-06-08, 06:11 PM
sneaky viking
bum style

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just saying, just because the KM can do it all, doesn't mean it has to all-at-once, at-the-same-time.
Old 11-06-08, 06:12 PM
yahnming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very well. i can only speak for myself and i believe there's no need to go out of one's way to rig something like this up.
Old 11-06-08, 06:12 PM
yahnming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah, nevermind, you're going with a flip flop i see. well that's totally logical then. disks are far superior to rim brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.