Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank or bottom bracket noise?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 09:37 AM
speks22
amatuer... everything.

Bikes: '05 Fuji Team SL, '07 Iro Mark V ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I tried a search, but i just came up with an internal error. Basically my problem is I've had an Iro SS for about 6-7 months now and almost everytime I ride it, which unfortunately isn't often enough, there is a tick type noise that happens with relative frequence during the ride. Ya know, with every revolution of the cranks there is a "tick/creak". Its always done this, but i have been lazy in figuring out why?

possible reason? solution to problem?
Old 11-07-08, 01:24 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sound like your bb is lose and need to be rethighten. need more info before i can give more help. like what kind of bb you have ?
Old 11-07-08, 03:21 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman715
sound like your bb is lose and need to be rethighten. need more info before i can give more help. like what kind of bb you have ?
Could also be a pedal that has an issue.......
Old 11-07-08, 03:36 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauerwald
Could also be a pedal that has an issue.......
That's what I'm thinking too. ticks sounds are like pedal noises and creak sounds sound like loose chainring bolts.
Old 11-07-08, 03:50 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ticks

Ticks can be all kinds of things, and some are much easier to deal with than others so check them first.

Do you have shoelaces with hard plastic tips? Those can cause ticks once a crank revolution.

is your front derailer cable too long (I know yours isn't, you don't have one, but in general), it can snag on your cuff and tick.

You can tear your bike down and rebuild it, and still not catch some of those causes.
Old 11-07-08, 05:18 PM
ogbigbird

Bikes: like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out sheldon browns artical on creaks and other noises.
Old 11-07-08, 05:45 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
And, as I recently found out on a new(!) Trek - it could be a stretched chain. First off, make sure all the bolts are tight on the chainrings. Then tighten the pedals onto the cranks - tight! Then move on to the bottom-bracket if the noise/feel persists.
Old 11-07-08, 06:19 PM
speks22
amatuer... everything.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 11-07-08, 06:26 PM
b1g bleu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like any wierd noise, try a little wd-40. Also flex the pedals and cranks by hand.
Old 11-07-08, 06:44 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html
Old 11-07-08, 06:50 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by b1g bleu
like any wierd noise, try a little wd-40. Also flex the pedals and cranks by hand.
WD-40 will dissolve and wash-out the grease it contacts. This is not a good idea with bottom-brackets and/or pedals. As a general lube, WD-40 only leaves behind a trace of oil after the carrier has evaporated. Bottom-brackets, pedals, hubs, etc. require a nice, thickish grease that will stay put. For bicycles it is best suited to cleaning tasks - not lubrication.
Old 11-07-08, 07:29 PM
AnthonyG

Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
SOO many things it could be and as a fan of steel bikes I'm going to put the boot into aluminium and say that aluminium bikes are SOO much worse when it comes to clicking noises. The aluminium frame just amplifies the noise. There, I feel better already

Anyway something else to look at is the spoke protector on the rear wheel. I was having a similar problem with a bike. I pulled it apart and basically built another bike altogether with parts I had lying around and some from a junk yard and when I put it back together I was getting this major noise from the rear wheel when just spinning it around. It turns out the spoke protector wasn't on tight enough and was making an awfully big sound for such a tiny part until I put it on correctly.

Anthony
Old 11-09-08, 09:10 AM
b1g bleu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I should've stated to re-grease any dissolved grease
Old 11-09-08, 12:47 PM
speks22
amatuer... everything.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok everyone I tried the tightening of the pedals and cranks, no dice still making the noise. And after riding it yesterday noticed the noise was more of a constant "crinkata crinkata crinkata" then a single tick with each revolution. Since I have a freewheel on the bike I can't tell if its making the noise when I am just coasting cause I can only hear the freewheel.

bikeman715 sound like your bb is lose and need to be rethighten. need more info before i can give more help. like what kind of bb you have ?
I think its just a stock IRO bottom bracket? I don't remember there being a choice when I ordered the bike and nothing is stated on my reciept about the type.

Does this help with anyones deductions? I know I have a bottom bracket wrench but I dont think i have those tong like things (not even sure if this is needed, watched a how-to video and the guy had them)

As is obvious, i dont know much about bicycle mechanicals!
Old 11-09-08, 12:49 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you can also get a creak if the crank is loose on the spindle.

I once had a broken/crushed ball bearing in my BB. That could also be it.

Take it apart. Clean the parts. Inspect, relube, reassemble and properly adjust.