Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 01:34 AM
Rothaí

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Strong headwind this morning and a sleet shower for the last few kms...but just as that cold rain started I said 'Bring it on !' because I got (after searching in bike shops in San Francisco, London and Dublin) a proper pair of waterproof over-shoes. I wear orthopaedic insoles and when my shoes get wet, these insoles get soggy and it's a pain transferring them to dry shoes...so, the over-shoes worked great ! Plus, a new Gore helmet cover (almost) completes the waterproofing. 10m ins late with that headwind though.

Lorcán.
Old 11-11-08, 04:42 AM
miedmonds
Riding 50 years

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24F in Madison, too

"Coldest ride of the season for me. When I left the house it was 24F but the sun was out and not much wind so it wasn't all that bad. Rest of the week should be a bit warmer than today. The chill seemed to keep my speed down a bit. I usually average around 15.8 - 16.0 but today was only at a 15.4. Didn't see any other riders and only saw a handful of joggers this morning. People at the office thought I was nuts. Whatever!! "

I'm 100 miles west of you and had my coldest morning yet, too. It seemed as if the cold kept the lubricating fluids in my aging knees and ankles from flowing properly for quite some time. :-) Worst part was coming home in the dark and cold, unable to see the road surface clearly. I stuck to larger roads, which then put me in the path of careless neighbors in their cars. I hope to ride at least until Xmas.
Old 11-11-08, 06:04 AM
JoeSoMD
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A beautiful ride in today. Clear and crisp. Cold but no headwind, which was a pleasant change from last evening when I rode in a headwind the whole 18m home! The weather stations are reporting anywhere from 28F to 36F in the area this morning. My toes got really cold and it was painful in the hot shower at work. I've got to get those shoe cover thingies. My ride times are definitely slower in cold weather. I don't know why because all I want to do is get to the office or home and get warm!
Old 11-11-08, 06:13 AM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dark as always. I leave the house at 0525. It had been raining all night long and seemed to stop as I was heading out. Halfway through my commute the skies open up and just pour rain all over me. I think it was even raining sideways! I had on the jacket of my new raingear from walmart. the pants was rolled up in my backpack. I get to work fairly dry (surprisingly). My shirt was moist mostly from sweat and my pants were alittle wet. I switch out to dry clothes anyways so now I'm good as new.
Ernest
Old 11-11-08, 07:04 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started out too cold, ended up too hot. I'm still in the process of figuring out how many layers to wear and when.

Other than that, it was a pretty good ride. Uneventful in the good way.
Old 11-11-08, 07:28 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Wife keeps telling me she wishes I would not ride so much, she thinks that I am going to get sick...
Actually there's a theory that winter commuters get sick less often, and if we do get sick, we don't get as sick for as long. I don't know if there's any merit to it, but I certainly don't get sick as often as my co-workers, or even my own wife.

Low 30sF for me today. Overcast. Tailwind pushing me along. Spotted some dude in a duck blind in the lake. Saw a couple of cyclists and some peds on the MUP.
Old 11-11-08, 07:45 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Too much rain and lightning again today in DFW. Maybe it will clear up soon.
Old 11-11-08, 08:01 AM
savethekudzu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
37 F in North Carolina - my first cold commute of the season. Windy, which made a big difference.
Light base layer, long sleeved T-shirt, and windbreaker; synthetic skullcap; warm windproof gloves. Hardly enough when I started, but just about right by the time I got in to work. (Had to strip the windbreaker and gloves for the last half-mile or so.)
Old 11-11-08, 08:12 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of traffic today, but my legs felt great. I also had my feet slip off the pedals for a moment, and it took me a while to recover since I was moving pretty fast. I give it a B.
Old 11-11-08, 08:15 AM
timothyday
rehabilitating

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, BMC Streetfire, Bob Jackson Vigroelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Philly at 7AM was cool but comfortable. It's nice to be out before all the school buses!
Old 11-11-08, 08:27 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hope you start feeling better soon, DataJunkie.

I had a really late start this morning; didn't start riding until 6:30, which is my cut off time (any later and I might as well drive). It was a bit chilly this morning (of course, I've always been a bit sensitive to the cold; and this coming from a Michigan native ), so I donned my windbreaker over my long-sleeve jersey. I'm also glad I borrowed my wife's Smartwool socks. The ride itself wasn't too bad. They (either the city or CSX) laid fresh asphalt at the railroad crossing on Texas Ave. Took me about 45 mintues to get to work and I felt pretty good. I think my legs are getting stronger.
Old 11-11-08, 09:35 AM
cyclaw
hammer hammer hammer!

Bikes: '99 Brodie Energy mtb, old Bianchi roadie, crappy old utility bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday after work: ice pellets and dark - man I hate turning the clocks back in the fall...
This morning: windy and freakin cold - I think it's time to get some leg warmers
Old 11-11-08, 09:50 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traffic was substantially reduced today, due to the Rememberance Day holiday. I'm at work, and it is quiet. I'm wearing my poppy.
Old 11-11-08, 09:59 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I heard on the news 5th Ave. was closed for the parade. Express lane to work thinks I. Well traffic was insane on 5th because it wasn't closed yet. Followed a couple guys, one on a Dutch commuter and one on a Schwinn Varsity type bike through the tight confines of traffic. Oh well. Happy Veteran's day to all vets out there. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 11-11-08, 11:08 AM
5440orfight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfectly on cue for Veteran's Day, as I was crossing a bridge over the Missouri River, a bald eagle flew about 10 feet over my head...
Old 11-11-08, 11:14 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode in the 40 degree rainy weather to go get new glasses, had a few people roll down their windows to tell me I was crazy. ) It was a really nice ride and I saw one other commuter out...unusual.
Old 11-11-08, 01:26 PM
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cold, but otherwise aiight. Pretty cranky mood all day today. Don't quite know why !
Old 11-11-08, 01:28 PM
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey metalchef, congratulations on your weight loss ! Feels great isn't it !
Old 11-11-08, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Quiet. Most offices are closed today.
Old 11-11-08, 04:28 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Called the wife to pick me up at work. %$!@!# bowels.
Old 11-11-08, 08:12 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was one of those days. Everything was just weird. I'm convinced that there is a cosmic switch somewhere labeled "Weird / Not Weird." Someone had flipped it to Weird.

That made me frazzled, so I spent the first half of my ride dropping the hammer and the second half of my ride recovering from the first half. It was like really long intervals.

I got a long, puzzled stare from a woman with Texas plates. It was amusing. I also saw a moon that was almost full, but not quite; it was full enough for me to see the man in the moon smiling down at me. He was probably taunting me.

Last edited by girljen; 11-11-08 at 08:12 PM. Reason: removing a bad word that got filterpwnd, sorry!
Old 11-11-08, 09:37 PM
martybucs

Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold in the morning. Not much traffic, then a traffic jam at a fender bender. It felt good passing all those stuck cars. Of course about 5 minutes later they were all zooming past me like their butts were on fire!

I didn't have to rush home to beat my son's school bus today, so it was very nice and relaxing and even the dog that runs along his fence line barking at me everyday only barked a little.
Old 11-12-08, 01:34 AM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful Winter Weather at Zero Celsius
it was very flesh and nice ride, no strong head wind.

the bike rides helped replenish my drained spiritual energy, however it depleted my muscular energy even more
Old 11-12-08, 03:06 AM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With madness at work and personal life stresses, my commute to work is keeping me sane at the moment.

And there's been virtually no wind for the past few days, so it's been super easy to blitz along. And I'm loving the fixed gear. It makes hill climbing much easier, I reckon. A roadie told me I should race, after he caught up with me at some lights after I burned him on a hill. I just said it was my magic bike!

Also we have a new cycle commuter at work - our new CFO rides. I need to ask him about it; he has a (lilac) Bianchi hard-tail MTB with road wheels and tyres (must be 25 or 28mm slicks). Plus someone else wants to ask me about getting a bike, as they are keen to start riding in.

That's around 8 or 9 people that now ride who didn't previously. I'm not an in your face advocate for cycle commuting, but I think they just see me do it every single day, and realise that it must be possible!
Old 11-12-08, 06:16 AM
JoeSoMD
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I wore shoe covers this morning for the first time. What a difference! No more frozen feet! No more pain in the shower during the "defrost" cycle. Yippie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.