Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter jacket help for a not small guy

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 09:45 AM
allrounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I've been trying to get a winter cycling jacket that doesn't squeeze me to death, but can breath and not leave me chilled. I'm 6', 195 lbs, trim with muscles, not Andy Hampsten thin, and all of the expensive cycling jackets I've tried do not fit comfortably. Giordana Forma Body Clone was real nice, but arms and arm pits way too tight; Assos Fugujack same thing - body fit was OK but could barely get sleeves on over 1 layer of polypro on in their largest size, and it left red compression marks on arms. I went to another store to look at Castelli, but salesperson told me they sent all of their winter clothing back because it just did not fit people around here (Boston area). I guess they are made for real professional cyclists, and not wannabees like me.
I've read invaluable posts and comments on BikeForums by wogomax, Jarery, VRKelly. My old Bellweather jacket finally wore out, was great to layer with, and now I've been falling back on my barely breathable PI Attack windbreaker and layers (1-3) of polypro, but am trying to do without the sweat buildup. Am about to go wogomax's route of ordering Beyond's ColdFusion and deal with milder temps (30's and up) another way. Felt chilled during recent ride with too light a jacket that breathed too well at 32 degrees and caught a cold that has kept me off the bike. So, any thoughts on what to wear? I will probably have to give up looking for a cycling-specific piece. Thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 10:04 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Foxwear guy (one-man company) makes clothing at competative prices, custom clothing at that. Call him. toll-free 877-756-3699 also 208-756-3699 www.foxwear.net net first please

Last edited by ken cummings; 12-03-08 at 10:07 AM. Reason: to add contact info
Old 12-03-08, 10:22 AM
alfie43

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Jacket

I am 6'- 185-190lbs. As a former runner and new to cycling, I had to rethink sizing when shopping for gear. Cycle clothing is intended to be form fitting....aerodynamics. With conventional clothing, a men’s XL is usually loose on me, but an XL in a cycle item is very tight. You did not state what kind of conditions you are riding in; nor did you say what sizes you are trying on.

With Michigan temps now in the 20s and wind chills in the upper teens, I am currently wearing an XL Pearl Izumi jacket (slice?) with 2 thin base layers (see pics); it is a very snug fit, especially around my lower arms. The PI jacket is very wind proof, has no lining and is also water proof. With the two thin layers, it more than adequate for the current conditions, but it is so snug fitting that there is no room for additional layering. This February, when we get more serious winter conditions, I may have to get a XXL jacket if I need a heavier mid-layer.

As a Michigan outdoor winter enthusiast for 40 years, I have ran, skied and biked in the worst of conditions, but I am wary of offering specific clothing suggestions to others. What works for me may not, work for you. We have different tolerances to cold weather, different metabolisms, and most importantly, we ride at different levels of exertion.
Alfie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008 first snow siz.jpg (76.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
2008 me cycle 4 siz.jpg (101.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by alfie43; 12-03-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 12:35 PM
allrounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies and pm. I will give Lou at Foxwear a call, have read good things about him. I will be looking in a few more stores meanwhile.
My location is north of Boston, so conditions for rides are from 0-35 degrees in winter. I used to wear a down vest on top of everything else just to get out when it was 0 degrees cold, but not planning on that now. Really trying for the 1-2 base layers and shell to get me through it all, and not too confident about high-tech stuff - I prefer to layer under than over them, hence problem with tight fit. Thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 12:49 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Try www.velowear.com I'm 5' 10" and weigh 190 and yes it's also alot of upper body muscle. There XL,s in shorts and jersey's have fit me fine with the jersey's having a little extra room. I just ordered a new XL winter jacket from them but it has not come in yet. Will give a review when I get it. https://www.velowear.com/products/1010783PRTSML.aspx It does com in 2XL also.
Old 12-03-08, 12:52 PM
Bennypie83

Bikes: 2009 Novara Safari, Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a 6' - 200lb commuter from Chicago. I have been riding in a XL Novara Statos Jacket. I love it. Warm, vents well, keeps me dry in all of the nastyness that chi-town weather can throw.
Old 12-03-08, 01:03 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allrounder
Hello All,

I've been trying to get a winter cycling jacket that doesn't squeeze me to death, but can breath and not leave me chilled. I'm 6', 195 lbs, trim with muscles, not Andy Hampsten thin, and all of the expensive cycling jackets I've tried do not fit comfortably. Giordana Forma Body Clone was real nice, but arms and arm pits way too tight; Assos Fugujack same thing - body fit was OK but could barely get sleeves on over 1 layer of polypro on in their largest size, and it left red compression marks on arms. I went to another store to look at Castelli, but salesperson told me they sent all of their winter clothing back because it just did not fit people around here (Boston area). I guess they are made for real professional cyclists, and not wannabees like me.
I've read invaluable posts and comments on BikeForums by wogomax, Jarery, VRKelly. My old Bellweather jacket finally wore out, was great to layer with, and now I've been falling back on my barely breathable PI Attack windbreaker and layers (1-3) of polypro, but am trying to do without the sweat buildup. Am about to go wogomax's route of ordering Beyond's ColdFusion and deal with milder temps (30's and up) another way. Felt chilled during recent ride with too light a jacket that breathed too well at 32 degrees and caught a cold that has kept me off the bike. So, any thoughts on what to wear? I will probably have to give up looking for a cycling-specific piece. Thanks.
Basically if you are trim with above average upper body muscularity or are overweight with a gut the usual approach with cycling wear is to go up a size. Since this is the only way to get stuff to fit. Of course if you are already at XL this does not often work as many of the companies don't make XXL sizes.

I agree that having a custom made jacket from Foxwear is a good approach. Lou can make the jacket with any type of fit you desire. Loose, form fitting or in between. Also, some of the big brands make some looser fitting styles but they are often hard to find at the LBS. Try Endura which makes cycling clothing for commuters. They may work better. Also REI carries some looser fitting cycling jersey's. Perhaps jackets also.
Old 12-03-08, 10:35 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The UPS man dropped off my Voler Wear jacket this evening. The XL fits me perfect with room inside for added layers. The color is a bit more orange than the pic but it will offer some great visibility.

Old 12-04-08, 01:55 PM
allrounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with the Assos Fugujack, and try their layering system. I have many layers of polypro already, but they are not cut for use with the jacket, I now understand. So, I'll give the system a try, and hope that I did not buy an expensive layering piece. As long as I can get from 10 degrees on up with inner layers that fit, I'll be satisfied with the purchase. I can squeeze-on a silk-weight long sleeve layer, and have room for a light sleeveless core layer, so I think I'll be able to keep warm. I will post what I find out after using the jacket for a while. Thanks for the help. John.