Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Whining about the wind

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Whining about the wind

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 07:45 AM
ShooterK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whining about the wind

I normally pride myself in not letting the weather dictate whether I ride to work or not, but today's forecast calls for 68 degrees with 25-35 mph winds with GUSTS TO OVER 55 MPH!! That's high, even for western Oklahoma. I'll take 25 degrees and calm over this any day.................and part of my commute is on a busy divided 4 lane with traffic whizzing by at 50 mph. That kind of wind makes it absolutely dangerous: hard to stay on the shoulder without weaving into the lane of traffic. I guess I'm taking the car....
I'm a fairly new commuter (been riding to work for about six months), but I have to say, honestly, that this is the first time I've let the WEATHER stop me from riding. I can deal with cold, rain, even a little snow (we don't usually get a lot here), and usually even the wind. But this is just too much.
Old 12-13-08, 09:39 AM
Ricekilla

Bikes: 2008 Specialized HRXC Disc, IRO Mark V(soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonder what that feels like, must be a PITA. Had some strong headwind today, in the direction that I commute in for 90 percent of the time. I yelled out, " Please somebody stop the wing!!!".
Yeah yeah, but I do understand it's making me stronger, especially on a fixed.
Old 12-13-08, 09:54 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The other night I was going downhill and the wind almost knocked me over because I was moving too fast. I don't know if it was 25 to 35 mph, but I guess, you gotta go slow to increase your chances of staying on the bike with a tight grip. I'd rather be in the rain then high winds.
Old 12-13-08, 10:06 AM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have trouble riding in wind. I don't know if it's because I'm smallish (about 115 lbs) but I get blown around considerably in the wind. I had a wipe out once that was caused by a wind gust. Ever since then, I avoid bike commuting in really high winds. Gusts over 55mph is WAY too much for me to handle. Maybe I should tie some bricks to my bike or something?
Old 12-13-08, 10:07 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A massive tailwind on the way to work is often a buy-now-pay-later deal.
Old 12-13-08, 10:33 AM
Jtgyk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not fun when you have to pedal on the downhills!

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 12-13-08, 11:04 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
Here in NM, we get massive winds. I just try to think of them as a substitute for long climbs, which we don't have. There's a limit, though... once on a MTB ride, I topped a ridge to be greeted by 50+ mph winds, which not only blew me over, but also picked up my bike like a kite! I had to lay down, holding the bike on top of me until the wind lulled just enough to be able to walk across the ridge. (we call the spot wind ridge)
Old 12-13-08, 11:17 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yup!

Funny story remotely related: I grew up in Boulder, CO and we'd get these massive wind storms in the winter called "Chinooks" ("snow-eater" in some Indian language). The wind would fall down the mountain, compress and get faster. So they'd be very strong but very warm as well. Go from 10deg and snowing one day to 50+ deg the next day. Gusts commonly over 100mph. I went out one morning and wore a jacket and opened it up, spread it out with my arms and "sailed" for miles down wind. Turned around and tried to ride. Made it a little way but really couldn't. Started pushing. After awhile came to a pay phone. Called home - "MOM! Come and get me!!!!". LOL
Old 12-13-08, 11:36 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Here in NM, we get massive winds. I just try to think of them as a substitute for long climbs, which we don't have. There's a limit, though... once on a MTB ride, I topped a ridge to be greeted by 50+ mph winds, which not only blew me over, but also picked up my bike like a kite! I had to lay down, holding the bike on top of me until the wind lulled just enough to be able to walk across the ridge. (we call the spot wind ridge)

Hills are an excersise in willpower, but winds build character.
Old 12-13-08, 01:02 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GV27
Yup!

Funny story remotely related: I grew up in Boulder, CO and we'd get these massive wind storms in the winter called "Chinooks" ("snow-eater" in some Indian language). The wind would fall down the mountain, compress and get faster. So they'd be very strong but very warm as well. Go from 10deg and snowing one day to 50+ deg the next day.
Yup, here too, big time. No word of a lie, I have seen the temperature go up 15C in under 2 minutes.

One morning started out with about 6 inches of snow, packed down well on the yard we were working, by lunch, there was a river running through, by home time, the yard was close to bare. When it's really blowing a Chinook, it can be really freaky at times, the snow pretty much evaporates rather than melting, the air is so dry, it just sucks it up.
Old 12-13-08, 01:45 PM
ShooterK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can handle the OCCASIONAL gust of wind, but days like this with just nothing BUT high wind all day, these days stink. I feel like I didn't do something right if I go all day without riding, but I just don't see how to make it happen today. Maybe I should invest in one of those fancy-schmancy trainer thingys so I can pedal indoors...........
Old 12-13-08, 02:16 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We get some pretty decent winds in central Minnesota as well (along with snow and cold, =).

I can pretty vividly remember cussing out the wind several times during extra windy days. I wonder what cagers think when they pass a cyclist screaming,

"#$&# you wind! JUST GO AWAY!"
Old 12-13-08, 02:54 PM
yrrej

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Maybe my memory has started to go but i thought coming in to Albuquerque there where
pretty good 'hills' (Sandia?)

Jerry
Old 12-13-08, 03:00 PM
Bat22
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once upon a time, I did an 80 mile trip. The 40 mile return was into a 45 mph headwind.
It felt like every muscle in my body was sore for a week.
Ever since, heavy wind rides don't really bother me as much as other
riders. I learned how to deal with it I guess.
Old 12-13-08, 03:08 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
But a massive headwind on the way out is a sweet payout on the way home. Unless of course the storm arrives and the wind switches direction at the turn around point!
Old 12-13-08, 03:45 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yrrej
Maybe my memory has started to go but i thought coming in to Albuquerque there where
pretty good 'hills' (Sandia?)

Jerry

Yup

Santa Fe ski area is worse ... or better
Old 12-13-08, 05:12 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShooterK2
I normally pride myself in not letting the weather dictate whether I ride to work or not, but today's forecast calls for 68 degrees with 25-35 mph winds with GUSTS TO OVER 55 MPH!! That's high, even for western Oklahoma. I'll take 25 degrees and calm over this any day.................and part of my commute is on a busy divided 4 lane with traffic whizzing by at 50 mph. That kind of wind makes it absolutely dangerous: hard to stay on the shoulder without weaving into the lane of traffic. I guess I'm taking the car....
I'm a fairly new commuter (been riding to work for about six months), but I have to say, honestly, that this is the first time I've let the WEATHER stop me from riding. I can deal with cold, rain, even a little snow (we don't usually get a lot here), and usually even the wind. But this is just too much.
I just finished a 22 mile ride in 25mph winds with 35mph gusts. The first half was straight into the wind and uphill (which cuts the wind) on open highways. It was finally over 50 degrees here in Nebraska .

The second half was a blast. It's a little disconcerting to hear your bearings so clearly.

It's rough, you go slow, and it's a little depressing. It's workable though. 55mph gusts I think I dealt with once but I was in the city (so they're maybe half as bad). If I had to ride highways I'd be tempted to call a taxi or find a ride on a day like that. I'm not sure if I could keep the bike up with a 55mph cross gust!
Old 12-13-08, 08:12 PM
iflyskyhawks

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my commute home this past Tuesday, I was traveling into a direct headwind with gusts between 25-30mph. It was brutal. Every once in awhile I'd get hit by a gust that knocked me off balance. The blowing sand/dust didn't help, either. My eyes were watery and irritated and my legs burning.

BUT, I made it. And I always remind myself that no one said bicycle commuting was EASY. It is what it is and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Winds are not always evil. I did a ride the weekend before and after 6-9mph headwind pain we zoomed back to the start with a tailwind that got me up to 40mph. Weee!
Old 12-13-08, 08:16 PM
ShooterK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean about hearing your bearings with a good tailwind. It happens to me on a regular basis either on my way to work, or on my way home. I guess I need to take a long ride like that on a really windy (45+ mph) day to get more acclimated to the wind. Like I said, today was the first time I have let weather decide whether I ride or not, and safety in traffic was the main issue. I have a friend in the hospital here and needed to be flown to Amarillo, TX to a bigger medical center today, but Air-Evac refused to fly him, citing the wind as being to high. They had to drive him.
Old 12-13-08, 08:28 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
But a massive headwind on the way out is a sweet payout on the way home. Unless of course the storm arrives and the wind switches direction at the turn around point!
There have been a few rides I've thought about the subway or GO Train on the return trip into a gale.

Kind of a road riding equivalent of lift-access mountain biking.
Old 12-13-08, 09:31 PM
dclaryjr
Gray Haired Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Roger that! My worst case ever was riding some 45 miles into a headwind from Las Vegas to Indian Springs, only to have the wind reverse shortly after starting back. I ended up bonking with with about five miles to go, and spent 30 minutes sitting outside a 7-11 stuffing Twinkies in my mouth and washing 'em down with Coke. What a gawd-awful experience!
Old 12-13-08, 10:14 PM
krater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it's blowing in my face on the morning commute, the thing I say to myself is, "I want winds just as strong on the way home tonight, okay?"
Old 12-13-08, 11:01 PM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 mph is a tough one.

We get these every fall, it's called the Santa Ana winds, and it's a hot, dry wind that predictably blows from the north east. They are usually between 25-35, and gust up to 70 in the canyons around here.

So my ride into work is an ABSOLUTE MONSTER, while my ride home is usually record breaking.
Old 12-14-08, 07:23 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What? No HTFU comment yet?
Old 12-14-08, 07:59 AM
Jtgyk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
< What? No HTFU comment yet? >

"Waaah! It's blowing TOOO HAaaaard! I wanna stay home and be comfy & waaarm!"

Well Boo Eff'in Hoo! Everyone here should quitcher' bichin' an get out there!
Buncha' Pansys!

(...of course you know this excludes me....I've got this condition....an...and...um...STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!..........I really need to drink hot liquids while surfing the web with the cat on my lap......really....no really!.....um...................................oh poopy...)

There is that better?

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.