Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mu SL vs. low end BF Pocket Rocket

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 10:23 PM
kamtsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I a looking for decent folding bikes for casual workouts in the local trails (asphalt paved, 10-15miles at a time) and narrowed down the selection to two models:

* Dahon Mu SL $1200 MSRP (https://www.dahon.com/us/musl.htm)

* Low end Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16 speeds, flat handle bar, $1200 MSRP (example 1 here https://www.bikefriday.com/pocketrocket)

Both Dahon and Friday Bike have dealers here (South SF Bay Area).

Having bikes that roles well and feel as close as possible to standard bikes is a big plus for me.

Any suggestion which one to choose?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-15-08, 10:55 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're even considering a Pocket Rocket, it means you're not really interested in folding speed or compactness. In that case, the choice is clear: the pocket rocket is the far superior bike, no contest. Try 'em both, you'll find that out fast. The mu has a stunted top tube, has an upright riding position, and will feel like a noodle compared to the rocket. And will squeak. In this case, you might examine a Swift if you can find one.

But if you care about really being able to fold the bike regularly, the SL is definitely worth a look. At that price, I would also look at a Tikit hyperfold and model-T (to which I am partial as a fellow casual workout-er). As with the Pocket Rocket, make sure that you're testing on the right length Tikit for you.

I personally do not believe the SL competes well in its price range. If you're considering Dahons, you should look more where they tend to have higher value -- in the $700 range, like a Mu P8.

Last edited by feijai; 12-15-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 11:04 PM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by feijai
If you're even considering a Pocket Rocket, it means you're not really interested in folding speed or compactness.
Can you elaborate? I have not see the Pocket Rocket yet so have no clue what it takes to fold them.

Do you they require tools to fold? How difficult is it to fold them? (all I need is to put them in the trunk of my car, 32" max dimension. I don't plan to air travel with them).

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-16-08, 12:11 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mu SL is a very sexy bike - light, and very cool looking. Have played with one a bit at our local Dahon dealer. However, Dahons are not always easy to upgrade components on. (Note we own both brands and previously has two Boardwalk D7s).

The BF can be sized to fit you, whether the stock Sm, Med & Lge, or total custom build. The Mu is "one size fits all." Things you can't upgrade with standard parts on Most Dahons are headsets, handle bar styles, drive trains. Also, the BF has 16-speeds (could be more) while the Dahon has 9.

The Dahon does fold quickly and easily, period. The BF folds easily enough and should fit into your car. We easily get two of them into the back of our Toyota Yaris liftback.To see how easy it is to fold one, see the BF website. (FYI: There are two types of seat masts. The lower cost one (Easy Pack) is simply removed vs. their folding model.

Bottom line: The geometry on the BF is more like a normal bike (particularly a Pocket Rocket equipped with drops).

You could also visit the BF factory in Eugene, as we have done twice - that's not possible with Dahon.

There is also the matter of resale value. Fridays are easy to sell for a good price because of their quality and reputation. We love ours.

Lou
Old 12-16-08, 01:25 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Can you elaborate?
See this video (starting at 4:08). BTW, that video also shows how to fold a Swift, a Brompton, and a Tikit (all of which you should consider).

(all I need is to put them in the trunk of my car, 32" max dimension. I don't plan to air travel with them).
32" max dimensions is pretty tight. You're looking at a Dahon, a Downtube, or a Brompton most likely. I'm not sure if a pocket rocket or a tikit can be squeezed down into that space in their normal folds. Definitely bring your car to test when you try out these bikes.
Old 12-16-08, 04:36 AM
EdYago

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
The Mu SL is a very sexy bike - light, and very cool looking. Have played with one a bit at our local Dahon dealer. However, Dahons are not always easy to upgrade components on. (Note we own both brands and previously has two Boardwalk D7s).

The BF can be sized to fit you, whether the stock Sm, Med & Lge, or total custom build. The Mu is "one size fits all." Things you can't upgrade with standard parts on Most Dahons are headsets, handle bar styles, drive trains. Also, the BF has 16-speeds (could be more) while the Dahon has 9.
Lou

Ultegra brifters, Dura-Ace FD/RD, 48/38 front, 12-25 back, etc.

So, uh... Changed handlebar style, entire drive train, brakes, and shifters.
Old 12-16-08, 06:09 AM
joseff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@EdYago: nice to see your bike finished. Can we see a folded pic? Also, do you have heel clearance issues with the cantis? I'm considering them so I can run "normal" levers.

@kamtsa: BF PR and Dahon Mu SL are very different in riding style and foldability. I'd go with feijai and and FT and compare thusly:
- Mu SL vs BF Tikit
- Swift+upgrades vs BF PR
Old 12-16-08, 06:40 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Remove the seatpost and you just might get it down to 32" in height.
Photo credit: forum member noteon.

Last edited by timo888; 12-16-08 at 07:00 AM. Reason: pic credit
Old 12-16-08, 07:15 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.bikefriday.com/2009

In terms of configurability, Bike Fridays leave the competition in the dust.

Here's a good BF page with honest opinions (e.g. "the Rohloff ... has a small proprietary cable that likes to break with Bike Fridays because it's put under too much strain by the long and tortuous path of the cables") on their gearing options:

https://www.bikefriday.com/gearing?time=current

Regards
T

Last edited by timo888; 12-16-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:40 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're even considering a Pocket Rocket, it means you're not really interested in folding speed or compactness. In that case, the choice is clear: the pocket rocket is the far superior bike, no contest. Try 'em both, you'll find that out fast. The mu has a stunted top tube, has an upright riding position, and will feel like a noodle compared to the rocket. And will squeak. In this case, you might examine a Swift if you can find one.

But if you care about really being able to fold the bike regularly, the SL is definitely worth a look. At that price, I would also look at a Tikit hyperfold and model-T (to which I am partial as a fellow casual workout-er). As with the Pocket Rocket, make sure that you're testing on the right length Tikit for you.

I personally do not believe the SL competes well in its price range. If you're considering Dahons, you should look more where they tend to have higher value -- in the $700 range, like a Mu P8.
Have you ridden the SL? It's way way stiffer than the P8 due to the completely different stem design. And it's only upright if you are too big (its a small bike).

IMO the Mu SL is comparable to the Swift, differences being:
-the Mu SL is smaller bike, both folded and unfolded.
-the stock Mu SL is more expensive with better proprietary components while the stock Swift is cheaper with poorer standard components.

The tikit is a completely different animal which has few advantages for sticking in a car trunk for 10 mile rides and I'm very surprised to see people comparing it to the Mu SL.

32" max dimensions is pretty tight. You're looking at a Dahon, a Downtube, or a Brompton most likely. I'm not sure if a pocket rocket or a tikit can be squeezed down into that space in their normal folds. Definitely bring your car to test when you try out these bikes.
If it's going in the car then there's no reason everything needs to stay attached. If OP takes the wheels off just about any folder should fit.

I recommend the OP tries the Mu SL if he is smaller, the Swift if he is larger, and the PR only if none of the others fit. If you don't need the customization (usually fit) then BFs are a waste of money. They're heavy and have poor components unless you buy a model which costs more than a car.

Hate to say it, but I think Bike Friday fans are mostly people with fitting problems and old folks who don't appreciate modern light bikes. The Mu SL is clearly a better value than the PR; The question is whether or not it fits.

Last edited by makeinu; 12-16-08 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 09:07 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is good informaition here but also quite a bit of nonsense .....
Easy to upgrade Dahons, very few Dahon propierty items, lots of custom stuff available.( I think I carry 8 different seatposts in 34 mm dia)
Whoever said its not possible to visit the Dahon factory ? As far as I know visitors are welcome in all the factories.
They dont feel like noodles ( unless you are overweight and pull on the handlebar like a dualslalom bike, sit down and spin and they are not a noodle) In fact there are quite a few people upgrading to thicker tires as they feel the frame being to stiff. ( older bikes froim years back indeed where much more flexible....

Makeinu has it pretty clear down .....

And another point.... Dahon buys components for 400000 bikes from the same supplier all over bike companies are buying their stuff... guess who is getting a MUCH better deal on that derrailleur, the little better rim, the saddle , everything ..no folding bike company can compete against that, That is partially the reason most Dahons are real bargains as long as you compare apples with apples ....

Thor
Old 12-16-08, 09:30 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Hi all,

I a looking for decent folding bikes for casual workouts in the local trails (asphalt paved, 10-15miles at a time) and narrowed down the selection to two models:

* Dahon Mu SL $1200 MSRP (https://www.dahon.com/us/musl.htm)

* Low end Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16 speeds, flat handle bar, $1200 MSRP (example 1 here https://www.bikefriday.com/pocketrocket)

Both Dahon and Friday Bike have dealers here (South SF Bay Area).

Having bikes that roles well and feel as close as possible to standard bikes is a big plus for me.

Any suggestion which one to choose?

Thanks,

Kam
Another flat bar bike to compare with would be a Pacific Reach Trekking .. terrific ride qualities with active suspension and riding on larger 451mm wheels.. this bike is one of the most stable, confidence inspiring small wheeled bikes I have ever ridden... and right now, is on special for considerably less money .. I have two here in the SF Northbay .. PM me if interested..

Old 12-16-08, 09:33 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you ridden the SL? It's way way stiffer than the P8 due to the completely different stem design. And it's only upright if you are too big (its a small bike).
I wasn't comparing the SL to the P8. I was comparing it to the Pocket Rocket, which is much stiffer.

I believe the SL has the same one-size-fits-all-sort-of geometry as other folding Dahons, which IMHO is a bit funky for any male of even moderate height. The top tube is the same length or shorter, I believe, than the one on the size *small* Tikit. And if I'm not mistaken, it's also much less stable than the rocket.

The pocket rocket and SL are different classes of bike. One is a real performance bike, the other is a decent ride but aimed more at "real" folding. I'd put the pocket rocket and the Swift in one category; and the SL its brethren (P8 and XL), and the Tikit, in the other category. The Brompton goes somewhere entirely elsewhere.

Hate to say it, but I think Bike Friday fans are mostly people with fitting problems and old folks who don't appreciate modern light bikes.
Wow. I think... that's precisely the opposite of me. I'm not old, I have totally average build, and I own a very light bike in addition to my tikit, which is decked out and weighty. And two ultralight Dahons.

My opinion of BF owners, except for the tikit people, is that they tend to be the "performance bike" aficionados of the folding world. They're the ones most likely to own $5000 carbon fiber bikes. (note: that's not me).

Last edited by feijai; 12-16-08 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 09:50 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Hate to say it, but I think Bike Friday fans are mostly people with fitting problems and old folks who don't appreciate modern light bikes.
Originally Posted by brakemeister
Makeinu has it pretty clear down .....
Nonsense.

https://www.bikefriday.com/roundup08

Regards
T

P.S. Sub 17-pound Pocket Rocket video

https://www.bikefriday.com/tikit/robspinkone

Last edited by timo888; 12-18-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 10:20 AM
somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... The top tube is the same length or shorter, I believe, than the one on the size *small* Tikit. ...
what is the top tube length of a size small Tikit? (and from where to where it is taken?) THX
Somna
Old 12-16-08, 10:44 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is the top tube length of a size small Tikit?
Wikipedia says it's 50cm.

I have compared standard Dahons (Helios, Speed) and a Large and a Medium Tikit in my lab. Fitted for an average height male (me), the distance from the top of the seatpost to the handlebars on the Dahons is slightly less than 2 inches shorter than on the medium Tikit. The small Tikit's top tube is 5cm shorter than the medium, likely putting it very slightly shorter than the Dahon length.
Old 12-16-08, 01:00 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fit is the big difference between the two. The further you are away from the average of Dahon's target audience the greater the advantage of a Bike Friday.

BTW, I would go with a low-end NWT before a Pocket Rocket given the brief description of your rides. Long story short, it has a more popular tire size -- in particular, a larger range of tire widths -- and a more hybrid-esque geometry.
Old 12-16-08, 01:49 PM
Foldable Two

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, BF owners likely tend to be taller, heavier, shorter, older and better-off financially (indicated by the high price and users exotic travel adventures) than the average folding bike rider. I fit the profile: 66 next month, 6'3" with long arms and legs and was willing to spend the $ - hey, you can't take it with you!

Obviously, the Mu SL can be modified as pictured above. The lower range bikes (such as our Boardwalks) are not as upgrade friendly.

Nice to know we could visit the Dahon Factory if we wished, Thor, but a bit more costly than the one-day drive the OP could make from SF to BF in Eugene, OR.

FYI: There is a new 2009 stock model known as the Pocket Sport for $995. It has drops and 406 wheels. https://www.bikefriday.com/node/7598

Also, removing the front wheel on my XL NWT takes the Max dimension (length) from 36" to just 28".

Yes, the Mu SL and the tikit are not comparable, and really, even a Speed 7 would handle a 10 mile ride if the terrain was relatively flat.
Old 12-16-08, 02:03 PM
EdYago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joseff
@EdYago: nice to see your bike finished. Can we see a folded pic? Also, do you have heel clearance issues with the cantis? I'm considering them so I can run "normal" levers.

@kamtsa: BF PR and Dahon Mu SL are very different in riding style and foldability. I'd go with feijai and and FT and compare thusly:
- Mu SL vs BF Tikit
- Swift+upgrades vs BF PR

I've had no issues with heel clearance because of the brakes.
Old 12-16-08, 02:23 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woohooo I like I like .... double front sprocket ...
:-)
Old 12-16-08, 03:59 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
woohooo I like I like .... double front sprocket ...
:-)
+1

Very nifty tuck-away of the drop bars!

Just a word on fitment of Dahon bikes. Take a look at my Yeah:

Note the handlebars aren't way forwards. Nevertheless, I like a fairly stretched-out position on my bikes. To give an idea, with a 55cm top tube (most folders have this, eg the Swift), I have a 130mm stem. The Birdy with the sports stempost is just right.

Surprisingly, so is the Yeah. I think Dahons in general have a longer top tube to compensate for the stempost which is just plain upright.

Even more surprsingly, a while ago I saw a little old lady (70yo?) on the identical bike, riding with upright stance, and she was comfortable! I chatted with her for a few moments. So Dahon have got the recipe right. (Of course if you are very far away from average then you may be out of luck.) With some of the other bikes with stempost which angles forwards a bit, I see why this would result in a wider demographic fitment.
Old 12-16-08, 04:24 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SL comes with the adjustable Syntace stem but for all others I now have the aber Hallo Stem in my program as well .... works with all bikes ( 25.4 dia MTB type handlebar)
https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/handlebar.htm

thor
Old 12-16-08, 06:57 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Go for the Mu if you need a small and fast fold.

Go for the Pocket Rocket if you want more fit options, more saddle options, or plan to fly with the bike.

How's that for simple?
Old 12-16-08, 07:17 PM
Foldable Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Go for the Mu if you need a small and fast fold.

Go for the Pocket Rocket if you want more fit options, more saddle options, or plan to fly with the bike.

How's that for simple?

GOOD SUMMARY! and check-out the Pocket Sport.
Old 12-16-08, 08:28 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is cool ... the way that Mu with the drop bars fold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.