Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

B17 on a Carbon bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

B17 on a Carbon bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 09:46 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
B17 on a Carbon bike

I just put a B17 on my Specialized Roubaix.and I have mixed feelings about how it looks. I just ordered some tan handlebar tape to take some of the focus off the tan saddle on a blue and white bike and to give it a more balanced look. I had a very narrow saddle on the bike until yesterday and I was wondering if this will effect my cadence or getting low into the drops. I would try it out now, but I just had foot surgery, so all I can do is look right now. I always thought the Brooks saddle would look like snow tires on a sports car, but it doesn't look to bad. If I knew I was going to put a Brooks on the Roubaix I probably would have gone with the black, but I have the tan one and it really stands out. Anyhow, what do you touring riders think. I do have a touring bike setup with a Brooks as well and I wonder if I just shouldn't keep the Roubaix for my road/sports bike.
Old 01-26-09, 09:51 AM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I threw a black Swallow on my (blue/black) Tarmac. I have a tan B17 that I tried for a bit, but the color got to me and I wanted a bit narrower of a saddle anyway.
Old 01-26-09, 09:59 AM
George

Originally Posted by mkauffman
I threw a black Swallow on my (blue/black) Tarmac. I have a tan B17 that I tried for a bit, but the color got to me and I wanted a bit narrower of a saddle anyway.
My older tan B17 got pretty dark from sweat, so I know this one will as well. I have to say though, it is comfortable. I think that tan tape may help.
Old 01-26-09, 10:15 AM
roadfix
hello

Liked 133 Times in 59 Posts
You can dye your saddle if you're not happy with its color. I've used dark brown permanent hair dye to change colors of honey colored saddles. Dye is permanent and will not rub off.
Old 01-26-09, 10:22 AM
NeezyDeezy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
function > aesthetic
Old 01-26-09, 10:29 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
function > aesthetic
Does not compute....

I personally prefer: function = aesthetic + comfort
Old 01-26-09, 10:43 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I now I'm going to get flamed for this, but I think Brooks saddles look horrible on modern-looking road bikes. If you need it for comfort, fine, but don't fool yourself that it looks ok. I certainly have some stuff on my road bike that I don't like the way it looks, but that I don't want to give up the functionality.
Old 01-26-09, 11:11 AM
George

Originally Posted by valygrl
I now I'm going to get flamed for this, but I think Brooks saddles look horrible on modern-looking road bikes. If you need it for comfort, fine, but don't fool yourself that it looks ok. I certainly have some stuff on my road bike that I don't like the way it looks, but that I don't want to give up the functionality.
I hope you don't, because this is the kind of honest replies that I'm looking for
Old 01-26-09, 11:11 AM
roadfix
hello

You do have a point. I've seen some horrible combinations.
Old 01-26-09, 11:15 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you're concerned about looks, and want a similar ride, you might try a Selle Anatomica. It's leather; rides like a softened-up Brooks, and has more of a "modern" look.

A Brooks Swift also is an interesting looking saddle - might look ok on the Roubaix. I bought a lightly used on eBay UK for a lot less than the (outrageous) MSRP.
Old 01-26-09, 12:43 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode my new Specialized Roubaix 40 miles the first day (Jan 2). After 30 miles I hated the bike, the seat hurt so much. Put my 29-year-old Ideale 90 leather saddle on it when I got home. Rode 89 miles the next day with no problems. A couple of centuries since then along with 935 miles so far this month. Wouldn't have been possible without my leather saddle. When your butt is screaming, who cares what the saddle looks like?
Old 01-26-09, 02:04 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
If you're concerned about looks, and want a similar ride, you might try a Selle Anatomica. It's leather; rides like a softened-up Brooks, and has more of a "modern" look.

A Brooks Swift also is an interesting looking saddle - might look ok on the Roubaix. I bought a lightly used on eBay UK for a lot less than the (outrageous) MSRP.
I have a Swift on my Tricross and I think it looks good. While it's no Roubaix, it's still a modern looking bike. I got mine from Nashbar off their returns site for $120.
Old 01-26-09, 02:58 PM
George

I really don't care to buy another saddle. I had the Fizik Arione on my bike until yesterday and it's a pretty nice saddle. I bought a new B17 and put it on my Jamis. I worked on the B17 that broke and got it fixed, so I thought I would keep the new B17 on the Roubaix and put the one I fixed back on the Jamis. After all is said and done it will probably be the Arione that goes back on the Roubaix and the new B17 on the Jamis. I guess I'll have a back up B17. Thanks for all the replies everybody.
Old 01-26-09, 04:04 PM
bullwinkle
Which bike should I ride?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a B-17 on my all-Record Moots, and I think it looks fine. No one can see it when you're sitting on it anyway.
Old 01-26-09, 04:07 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
No one can see it when you're sitting on it anyway.
+1

(especially with my Clydesdale cheeks)

:-)
Old 01-26-09, 04:08 PM
fghhunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid
Rode my new Specialized Roubaix 40 miles the first day (Jan 2). After 30 miles I hated the bike, the seat hurt so much. Put my 29-year-old Ideale 90 leather saddle on it when I got home. Rode 89 miles the next day with no problems. A couple of centuries since then along with 935 miles so far this month. Wouldn't have been possible without my leather saddle. When your butt is screaming, who cares what the saddle looks like?
Great reply akansaskid, my very thoughts, it's your butt you should be worried about NOT how the darn thing looks!
Old 01-26-09, 05:27 PM
George

I have a B-17 on my all-Record Moots, and I think it looks fine. No one can see it when you're sitting on it anyway.
Now you really got me thinking. I have this Arione, that's actually a racing saddle and I'm 68 years old and know I wont be racing. I can see myself riding distances exceeding 50 miles with no problem with the B17. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-09, 05:28 PM
George

Oh, by the way that Moots is a great looking bike, but it was out of my price range
Old 01-26-09, 08:43 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my '06 Specialized Sequioa Elite. A Roubaix it ain't. Has all the grace of a bridge girder, but I think it's alright with a black 17 on it. The twig-like susp seat post has been replaced with a Thompson Elite MTB post, cause I'm huge. If the saddle were honey, I wouldn't care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sequioa Elite with bar bag.jpg (108.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-26-09, 08:52 PM
4000Miles
for affordable housing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, I'd agree with that statement. That said, most "modern looking" road bikes are meant to look like (or be) racing bikes, and Brooks saddles are not meant for racing. Racing bikes have little tiny 3 gram things that look like one's bum might absorb them, if you take my meaning. Put a Brooks on an older level-top-tube road bike and you'll likely have quite the winner.
Old 01-26-09, 11:43 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"...and Brooks saddles are not meant for racing."

Au contrair,
The Swift and Swallow are designed from the get-go for racing. You might see more of them on "modern" bikes but for the cost. However, as a purely aesthetic statement, I agree that the whippy looking new style roadies might look like a Daytona car with chrome bumpers with a Brooks on there.

BTW, I can't recall his name, but there is rather well known RAMROD racer who lives around a town near here called Salmon le Sac or maybe it's Cle Elum. A group of us waved him down for directions, not knowing who he was at the time. He pulled over and one of us recognised him as this racer. He was riding an ultra high end bike - with a Brooks Team Pro on it. Said he had about 30,000 miles on the thing.

They work.
Old 01-28-09, 05:26 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Liked 64 Times in 50 Posts
G'day

I am looking to get a Swift or a Swallow on Ti preferably for my Look 555 when I can find one at reasonable price. To me comfort overrides looks and I don't care what others think about the look anyway. They are not riding it!

Andrew
Old 01-28-09, 06:35 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why did you buy a carbon frame? If it was for ride quality go ahead and use whatever you want. If it was to reduce weight and have a lighter bike .........well, you know!
hockey
Old 01-28-09, 06:44 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Liked 64 Times in 50 Posts
G'day

Maybe this is the Brooks to get for a bit of bling on one's carbon roadie

Andrew
Old 01-28-09, 08:34 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hockey
Why did you buy a carbon frame? If it was for ride quality go ahead and use whatever you want. If it was to reduce weight and have a lighter bike .........well, you know!
hockey
My guess would be:

Since a carbon bike rides nicely, a Brooks saddle of proper design would only make it better. At least, that was the feeling I got from talking to that RAMROD racer I mentioned earlier. To me, it makes sense to have a lighter bike, then be able add a few ounces in comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.