Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Petition Campy?....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Petition Campy?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 08:33 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasz
From handling my levers (not yet mounted), it seems like the softer shifting only occurs when shifting to bigger cogs/rings (the paddle not the thumb). The thumb shifter still gives a nice audible click and takes some force to push. Is this just because they're not yet on the bike?
Right.
Old 02-11-09, 08:39 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Hi Bob,
We are all highly adaptive creatures...well...excepting the BF dog Ralphie boy. (I am Pavlov)
No doubt I will acclimate to the shifting over time. Your comments about the internals across the product line of shifters is accurate of course. The shifting disparity is considerable and can be traced to a major difference in index detent shape between 10 and 11s for '09. Tactile feel is qualitative and a judgement made by Campy.
One could interprete this as you say...an impetus to purchase Record. I just don't have a need for 11s.
Well, it would be an incentive for you, a long time Campagnolo user. My real point was that from 2006 to 2008 there was a distinct difference in the line and that the Escape mech was a better transition group for riders switching to Campagnolo for the first time where as Chorus and Record would more likely to be embraced by racers and long term users.

Now? Whole new ballgame.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 02-11-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 09:27 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
From handling my levers (not yet mounted), it seems like the softer shifting only occurs when shifting to bigger cogs/rings (the paddle not the thumb). The thumb shifter still gives a nice audible click and takes some force to push. Is this just because they're not yet on the bike?
The tactile thumb push click will be about the same. Climbing up the cassette in back is very different. Hard to even feel the shift now. I would say most don't like the feel of the new softer shift with the RH lever.
Old 02-11-09, 09:33 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much that I like my '06 Chorus, I think Shimano is simply out running them in engineering, marketing, and distribution. I'll vote with my feet with my next bike purchase.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 02-11-09, 09:36 AM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The tactile thumb push click will be about the same. Climbing up the cassette in back is very different. Hard to even feel the shift now. I would say most don't like the feel of the new softer shift with the RH lever.
Spot on.
Old 02-11-09, 09:42 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what you guys are talking about with the RH lever downshifts. Maybe you need to turn your ipods down; I have no problem feeling the clicks and have yet to overshift.

Maybe it's because I came from the QS veloce levers which had a similar feel.
Old 02-11-09, 09:42 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like it but as long as I don't miss shifts it isn't the end of the world. I don't often rapidly shift up the cassette - and my climbing wussiness will now be silent. I see the thumb button has a different shape too. I enjoyed the shape of the older one.

Wonder if anyone will make hoods with the Campy logo and the grain that fit over these levers. I don't like the new ones aesthetically at all.
Old 02-11-09, 09:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 448 Posts
I've already voted: two bikes running 2009 Record/Chorus 11 speed and a third with the 2009 Centaur 10 speed shifters.

I can't see where Shimano is out running Campy with regard to engineering. Campy has introduced more new products for 2009 than Shimano will in the next several years. Campy has new shifters at all 5 levels. It will take years for the new Shimano shifter design to trickle down to 105. The new DA 7900 shifters are still heavier, not repairable, far more expensive and they have lost function with only a 2-cog shift available to larger cogs (if reports are correct). Somebody correct me if they have 7900 and know that the levers can still execute a 3-cog larger shift.

As for distribution, there is no comparison. Shimano domintates the OEM market, and Campy has all but pulled out of it. Until they get their US wholesale prices down, sales will be bleak at US based stores. I've bought all my parts from Germany or the UK at prices below US wholesale. Campy has their niche among higher end buyers who shop outside their LBS.
Old 02-11-09, 09:54 AM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Dave, what's a good German site from which to order? I've only dealt with the UK sites.
Old 02-11-09, 10:01 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UK is probably a much better bet for the near future considering the Euro is killing the pound and the dollar, while the dollar is remaining pretty strong versus the pound. Plus German sites often require bank transfer payment, which is a huge PITA from the US.
Old 02-11-09, 10:18 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I've already voted: two bikes running 2009 Record/Chorus 11 speed and a third with the 2009 Centaur 10 speed shifters.

I can't see where Shimano is out running Campy with regard to engineering. Campy has introduced more new products for 2009 than Shimano will in the next several years. Campy has new shifters at all 5 levels. It will take years for the new Shimano shifter design to trickle down to 105. The new DA 7900 shifters are still heavier, not repairable, far more expensive and they have lost function with only a 2-cog shift available to larger cogs (if reports are correct). Somebody correct me if they have 7900 and know that the levers can still execute a 3-cog larger shift.

As for distribution, there is no comparison. Shimano domintates the OEM market, and Campy has all but pulled out of it. Until they get their US wholesale prices down, sales will be bleak at US based stores. I've bought all my parts from Germany or the UK at prices below US wholesale. Campy has their niche among higher end buyers who shop outside their LBS.
Oh i agree,I don't see how that "s" company stays in business. It's just gurrrrrossss! I won't even get into the aesthetics with the cables hanging out all over the place. 10 speed is so last year.
Old 02-11-09, 10:22 AM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All of it's good.
None of it sucks.

Old 02-11-09, 10:44 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 448 Posts
UK is probably a much better bet for the near future considering the Euro is killing the pound and the dollar, while the dollar is remaining pretty strong versus the pound. Plus German sites often require bank transfer payment, which is a huge PITA from the US.
I agree. I got some parts from bike 24, around the time the Euro was at it's lowest, but prices have gone up since then. I would not order from bike 24 again. I had a lost package problem (USPS was at fault), but correcting it was a huge pain. Communications was terrible.

I'd stick with UK sources.
Old 02-11-09, 11:47 AM
SilentShifter
Let's Go!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Dura Ace 7800 doesn't have those problems....
Old 02-11-09, 12:37 PM
cuski
Chunky Programmer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only beef I have with the new 11s is the extensive use of Torx bolts. I don't know whether prior years Chorus/Record had them, but I know for sure my '07 Centaur mostly has hex bolts.
Old 02-11-09, 01:00 PM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentShifter
My Dura Ace 7800 doesn't have those problems....
Speaking of; DA 7800 shifters were on BonkTown earlier for $199.
People should keep an eye out for em!
Old 02-11-09, 05:58 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are still aspects that separate them.
I'm aware of this. Did you read the post to which you are replying?

At the end of the day, all the gruppos work so personal preference is what separates them. I posted this thread to gain opinion from others that have purchased the new Centaur levers to replace their earlier Campy levers. I didn't think a softer shift would be a big deal having read about it prior to buying but my initial reaction is, I prefer the more tactile feel of the earlier shifters.
Thanks for the reiteration, but I read the OP.

Yes Campy stumbles occasionally as do all manufacturers...you mention their escape mechanism which btw was another blunder to differentiate their product as an inducement to buy Chorus and Record...the same thing they have done here if you think about it.
That's what I said, only with fewer words.

As to your last comment about finding parts. Umm..Campy levers are rebuildable and Shimano levers aren't unless that changed for '09. One major benefit of '09 Campy is the purported bullet proof nature of their new shifters which are far simpler than earlier Campy levers in the remote event they need rebuilding.
Rebuildable shifters and parts availability are two separate issues and I can't imagine why you responded with the former to the latter. If a derailleur detonates far from home, I'm far more likely to find a compatible replacement if I run Shimano than if I run Campy. The point is that there are costs to using Campy and if the benefits are minimized, then costs become a greater part of the differences.
Old 02-11-09, 08:14 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope campy stiffens up the centaur before cross season. I'm putting on Centaur on my cross rigs this year (no way I'm using 11s for cross) and the soft shifting worries me a little. I like to know when I have shifted.

I could stick to my pre-09 stuff but braking from the hoods with cantilevers really sucks. Not too much leverage.
Old 02-12-09, 08:24 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I'm aware of this. Did you read the post to which you are replying?

Thanks for the reiteration, but I read the OP.

That's what I said, only with fewer words.

Rebuildable shifters and parts availability are two separate issues and I can't imagine why you responded with the former to the latter. If a derailleur detonates far from home, I'm far more likely to find a compatible replacement if I run Shimano than if I run Campy. The point is that there are costs to using Campy and if the benefits are minimized, then costs become a greater part of the differences.
Besides Ralphie the BF neighborhood junkyard dog, your half wit equal btw, you are the only contentious poster in my thread. I have to admit laughing when I read your posts because you are so glum. You are like a verbose version of operator who use to haunt this place...lol. Please stay away from all my posts in the future as I have never found any value to your posts other than derision. This will make for a better community here and keep us from engaging. You may even disagree with that...lol. I will abide and sit on my hands and not respond to your feeble attempt at lucidity. Please stay away unless it is your desire to sully this board as in the case of Ralphie boy who per usual had nothing to contribute other than to troll which the moderators here strangely permit...perhaps for their perverse entertainment.
By comparison other contributors get it and their responses were spot on.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-12-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 08:34 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
I hope campy stiffens up the centaur before cross season. I'm putting on Centaur on my cross rigs this year (no way I'm using 11s for cross) and the soft shifting worries me a little. I like to know when I have shifted.

I could stick to my pre-09 stuff but braking from the hoods with cantilevers really sucks. Not too much leverage.
If you really want to get creative you can likely install a Record 11s index wheel in your RH Centaur lever and calculate the cable pull reduction and install a Shiftmate to compensate. I wouldn't wait on Campy for this change but believe it will occur due to the almost universal disdain for the softer shift. Some know that Record for '08 was made even firmer compared to lesser incantations as most like the feedback of knowing when a cog change has been made. The noticeable disconnect now is a very distinct detented shift down the cassette (up shift) with a thumb push/click...nice and distinct, compared to an almost invisible friction like shift assending back up the cassette. This is incongruous if you think about it...distinct click down and virtually no feedback climbing back up the cassette.
Old 02-12-09, 08:36 AM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the 09 Centaur on my CX rigs this past year. The shifting was a little weird feeling at first, but you get used to it. Braking from the hoods is so much better on the 09 stuff it isn't even funny.

Yea, it shifts a bit different, but don't let that turn you away. The pluses of the shifters far outweigh the different shift feel.

I'm thinking about going Chorus 11 on my CX bikes for this season... haven't decided yet. I'm not too worried about the 11 speed being a problem there though. The cog thickness is essentially the same as Shimano 10 now.
Old 02-12-09, 08:39 AM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by briscoelab
I used the 09 Centaur on my CX rigs this past year. The shifting was a little weird feeling at first, but you get used to it. Braking from the hoods is so much better on the 09 stuff it isn't even funny.

Yea, it shifts a bit different, but don't let that turn you away. The pluses of the shifters far outweigh the different shift feel.

I'm thinking about going Chorus 11 on my CX bikes for this season... haven't decided yet. I'm not too worried about the 11 speed being a problem there though. The cog thickness is essentially the same as Shimano 10 now.
Totally agree.
Old 02-12-09, 09:16 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by briscoelab

I believe you and Joe are right in that the benefits of the new Centaur shifters outweigh the negative and they are still worthwhile. Also, there isn't a better value in the marketplace...200 bux for CF Centaur shifters out of the UK with the current US exchange rate. I was hoping to hear from those that have used these shifters for a while now which you have, concede the issue and have adapted which sounds like you have validated. I hope to adjust to the shifting over time as well and will certainly enjoy the improved ergos and braking from the hoods (and even drops) as you say. Thanks for your input. I too wouldn't worry about the cog thickness diff which is modest...even with the rough and tumble treatment in cross racing.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-12-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 09:18 AM
SushiJoe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got my Centaur levers [carbon] last month from Ribble Cycles for $160.
That's a HUGE bang for the buck purchase, IMHO.
I was coming from 08 Record shifters (which I sold for $230). I do miss the positive shift feel, but I like everything else so much more.
Old 02-12-09, 10:07 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 163 Posts
Let the Kool-aid flow freely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.