Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

columbus to baltimore-ish

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 12:10 AM
thesvb

Bikes: trek 520,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,
i'm planning on cycling from columbus, oh or canton, oh to the coast in late march. have any of you ever taken this route (ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf...state_mapv.pdf) through Pennsylvania. What did you think of it, were there camping areas on route?

thanks for the help
Old 02-03-09, 01:06 AM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where does Baltimore fit into all that?
Old 02-03-09, 07:27 PM
thesvb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good point. i'll be on spring break for a week and wanted to try and make the ocean from columbus, oh. baltimore looked like the most direct path to the ocean from columbus.

that bike path takes me well north of baltimore, but still close to the ocean. if i was going to baltimore i was thinking of taking 'maryland 140' to the city. do you have any experience with that road?

thanks again!
Old 02-03-09, 07:56 PM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your ultimate goal is the eastern shore -- Delaware or Ocean City, MD -- i'd skip baltimore. I really enjoyed riding on the PA route system while traveling through PA with the cross-country trip I worked for over the summer. From what I've seen, the routes are well signed, and maps are readily available.

Route S could take you to the GAP trail, which would eventually lead you to the C&O canal and eventually to downtown DC. Or you could stay on S until you get towards the Delaware corner of PA, and then continue south to your ultimate destination.

I'd suggest picking an ultimate goal (ocean city, MD for instance) and then go about requesting state DOT bike maps. MD, PA, VA, and DE have them.
Old 02-04-09, 08:06 AM
Neil_B

As stated, the PA S route runs into and uses the Great Allegheny Passage for about 60 miles, from near West Newton to near Rockwood. There are free or low-coast campsites along the GAP and C & O Canal Towpath. What's more, the local towns are extremely bike-friendly. And you get over the mountains with no more than a 2 per cent grade. Spinnaker is leading a group of posters on a Pittsburgh to DC trip June 13; perhaps you could join us?

Following the S route across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a fun trip, but it's very hilly and there are no free campsites. PM me if you come through - I live on the S route and might be able to offer you a place to stay.

Old 02-04-09, 08:09 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by thesvb
hi,
i'm planning on cycling from columbus, oh or canton, oh to the coast in late march. have any of you ever taken this route (ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf...state_mapv.pdf) through Pennsylvania. What did you think of it, were there camping areas on route?

thanks for the help
Oh, I didn't realize this trip was in March! Some, and perhaps many, campgrounds in PA will be closed for the winter at that time. And while the GAP/C & O is open, there may be some detours - Big Savage Tunnel is closed for the winter, for instance.

Old 02-17-09, 02:42 PM
Mallory

Bikes: (98?) Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want some company?

thesvb:

I'm from the Baltimore area and go to school in Columbus (OSU), so when I saw the this thread I had to look! I'm in the process of planning/training/saving for a coast-to-coast trip this summer.

Would you be interested in someone going with you part of the way? I was planning on driving home for a few days over break, but I just bought a Trek 520 and am dying to try it out on a shorter tour before June. Of course, this would depend on what day you're leaving and whether you'd just rather go solo, but I'm not opposed to camping (obviously), and down for whatever mileage you're going for if you wanted some company. I'm no wuss!

Let me know,
Mallory
Old 02-17-09, 06:18 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good point. i'll be on spring break for a week and wanted to try and make the ocean from Columbus, oh. Baltimore looked like the most direct path to the ocean from columbus.

that bike path takes me well north of Baltimore, but still close to the ocean. if i was going to Baltimore i was thinking of taking 'Maryland 140' to the city. do you have any experience with that road?
Up toward Westminster the road has adequate shoulders but it becomes a death trap closer to Baltimore (along with most of the other roads). One major issue with your Baltimore route is that bikes are not allowed on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (last I checked). They are allowed on the Delaware river bridge and through the Chesapeake Bay tunnel (at the mouth of the bay). I would investigate travel through the Lancaster, PA area and around the north end of the bay (have to find a way around Philly) or the southern route down into VA and across to the ocean. C&O down to Washington, DC and then through the tidewater area would also work. Definitely ensure that the bridges / tunnels that you plan on using are bikable!
Old 02-17-09, 06:19 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Sean,

First tour since cross country? I was thinking about a week or two this summer if you're looking for any other trips.
Old 02-17-09, 06:30 PM
thesvb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
matt,
what's up buddy, long time no see. we need to kick back and get some beers before we graduate. yeah, i think it'll be my first tour since the northern tier, i am waaay out of shape, but we'll see how it goes.