Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling and altitude?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling and altitude?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 10:53 AM
Chuckie
I'm that guy

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling and altitude?

A recent thread on here got me thinking about comparisons between cyclists who train and race at altitude vs those who are at sea level. I've done a search to find the answer, but I must be doing it wrong because I didn't find anything on here.

Given identical courses, racers, and conditions, are speeds and performance generally higher or lower at altitude? There is less wind resistance due to the elevation, but there is also less oxygen available for the "engine" to operate.

Opinions? Data?
Old 03-03-09, 11:28 AM
Naterider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little attitude is required to pull off the silly clothes we wear.

I almost left it alone, but I am not a troll. Training in high altitude is harder/better.
Old 03-03-09, 11:31 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lets put it this way. It is WAY harder to cycle up and down hill with changing air pressures than it is to do at ANY flat. Basically training in the hardest terrains will make the easier things to do even easier.

Same application for climbing, hiking, and skiing. The more ups and downs take more of a toll on your respiratory system to acclimate itself to the changes back and forth. As this builds tolerance and strength, it will appear more normal and make the flats and sea level rides seem almost boringly easy.
Old 03-03-09, 11:38 AM
Chuckie
I'm that guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that training at altitude is better, but is performance and output different at altitude vs. sea level? For instance, I know that in the automotive world, cars have significantly less horsepower when they are up at altitude compared to at sea level. Moving over to cycling, do racers have less wattage when the elevation goes up? I know that the physics/physiology behind cars vs. humans are completely different, but I was just wondering if there is some type of performance disadvantage vs. advantage to being at a higher elevation.

As for hills vs. flats, I'm not talking about that at all. Let's assume the terrain is identical, to remove that from the equation.
Old 03-03-09, 11:46 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out where the hour record is always attempted. that should give you a clue
Old 03-03-09, 11:47 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Higher altitude = shorter breathers. That makes it less efficient in the long run.
Old 03-03-09, 11:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckie
A recent thread on here got me thinking about comparisons between cyclists who train and race at altitude vs those who are at sea level. I've done a search to find the answer, but I must be doing it wrong because I didn't find anything on here.

Given identical courses, racers, and conditions, are speeds and performance generally higher or lower at altitude? There is less wind resistance due to the elevation, but there is also less oxygen available for the "engine" to operate.

Opinions? Data?

Flat ride, Speeds will be faster at altitude. Hence World record attempts being done at Altitude.

As for training, Conventional wisdom is sleep high, train low. You get the adaptive effect living at elevation, and you can train at higher pwoer with more oxygen by training low.

Hence the rationale behind sleeping in a tent.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-03-09, 11:48 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckie
I know that training at altitude is better, but is performance and output different at altitude vs. sea level? For instance, I know that in the automotive world, cars have significantly less horsepower when they are up at altitude compared to at sea level. Moving over to cycling, do racers have less wattage when the elevation goes up? I know that the physics/physiology behind cars vs. humans are completely different, but I was just wondering if there is some type of performance disadvantage vs. advantage to being at a higher elevation.

As for hills vs. flats, I'm not talking about that at all. Let's assume the terrain is identical, to remove that from the equation.
just so I can post twice in a row....

The reason for the cars is because air is less dense at altitude. Therefore, a 3.0L engine effectively becomes a 2.XX L engine due to the less air mass it pulls in with each cycle. Less air, less gas, less HP. It doesn't work the same way for humans. After aclimating, your body has effectively increased it's red blood count and you're 'back to where you were at sea level', except now there is less air resistance.
Old 03-03-09, 11:53 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice, I should have just waited for the answer from the pros, instead of throwing in my .02. But same goes for boxing and such. Sleep high train low.
Old 03-03-09, 12:22 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
After aclimating, your body has effectively increased it's red blood count and you're 'back to where you were at sea level', except now there is less air resistance.
No. Even after aclimating, there is a decrease in performance at altitude. The literature is filled with data showing this. https://www.midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm#Q17
Old 03-03-09, 12:33 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
No. Even after aclimating, there is a decrease in performance at altitude. The literature is filled with data showing this. https://www.midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm#Q17
fine. you win.
Old 03-03-09, 12:36 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Flat ride, Speeds will be faster at altitude. Hence World record attempts being done at Altitude.

As for training, Conventional wisdom is sleep high, train low. You get the adaptive effect living at elevation, and you can train at higher pwoer with more oxygen by training low.

Hence the rationale behind sleeping in a tent.
The correct answer.
Old 03-03-09, 12:37 PM
Chuckie
I'm that guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks everyone! (especially for the link)
Old 03-03-09, 12:42 PM
asgelle

fine. you win.
By putting an end to your false information, I'd say the readers win.
Old 03-03-09, 01:01 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
So the performanced lost (decreased oxygen) from the altitude is less then the performance gained (decreased air density) from the altitude? Meaning faster times at altitude even though reduced "performance output".

Buy your bike parts here
Old 03-03-09, 09:41 PM
dark13star
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All mountaineers know to plan for slower performance at higher altitude, no matter how well acclimatized we are. Come ride Mt. Evans and climb out of the saddle through the upper switchbacks (approaching 14,000'), and you will know what I mean.
Old 03-03-09, 10:09 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't Landis sleep in a (home-made) chamber?
Old 03-03-09, 10:26 PM
sgrundy
I am the cheese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out where the hour record is always attempted. that should give you a clue
Moscow, Manchester, Bordeaux...I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Old 03-03-09, 10:43 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Does the bulge in my underwear when Mr. Happy gets excited qualify as an Altitude Tent?
Old 03-03-09, 11:28 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You got it. The rules for the hour record had to be cooked to keep low altitude players in the game. Now there are two records one down low and the fast one. Back in the day Rory O'Rielly went to La Paz to break the Kilometer track record. Something like 11,000 feet up there.
Old 03-03-09, 11:39 PM
Nbob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the world record times for all distances in speed skating now and since the late 80's /early 90's have been set either in Calgary ( 3,438 ft ) or Salt Lake ( 4, 226 ft ) - prior to that most world records had been set at Davos ( 5, 118 ft ) ( Davos would still be #1 if it's oval was indoors like Calgary/Salt Lake - but their natural ice is too iffy to plan to peak on as the oval may be slush the day of the big race. The ISU no longer allows World Championships there because of that)

Just about all of the world's elite skaters train year round in Calgary ( mostly ) or Salt Lake.

At sea level they will have trouble reaching a PB let alone a record so don't expect much come next year at the winter olympics in Vancouver.
Old 03-04-09, 02:55 AM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BustaQuad
Doesn't Landis sleep in a (home-made) chamber?
he does. I think he may just nap in it as it is located in his backyard
Old 03-04-09, 08:10 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by ken cummings
The rules for the hour record had to be cooked to keep low altitude players in the game. Now there are two records one down low and the fast one.
I have no idea what you're talking about. There is nothing in the UCI rule book concerning altitude in section 3.6 of the UCI rules for velodrome homologation. Section 3.5 doesn't have anything either. You couldn't possibly be thinking of the hour record and best hour performance, could you?
Old 03-04-09, 09:00 AM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Does the bulge in my underwear when Mr. Happy gets excited qualify as an Altitude Tent?
"A Pup Tent is a small version of a ridge tent"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent
Old 03-04-09, 09:10 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrundy
Moscow, Manchester, Bordeaux...I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Bingo. That's a bit of a controversy. Yes - for awhile Mexico City was THE place to set records but ti's not so clear now. Especially for the longer distances where you need oxygen. A shorter record at altitude (e.g. Chris Hoy's KM attempt in Bolivia) makes a lot of sense since you're anaerobic across those distances anyhow. I don't know if anyone really knows for sure what the best way to go is. But those that contrast flat vs. climbing are absolutely right. The advantage at altitude is aerodynamic. When you're going slow it doesn't matter and the fact you can't breath holds you back. On flat, it does count and then it's a balancing act. Maybe that's why it's more clear-cut in speed skating - Salt Lake and Calgary are decidedly middle-of-the road altitude wise and perhaps that's where the balancing point is. In places like Bordeaux and Manchester you get plenty of oxygen but the air is thick. In Mexico City (~7,500 ft) and especially La Paz (~12k ft) the air is thin but it's really tough to breath. Extremes either way. An hour attempt in La Paz would be really difficult. I can't think of a famous velodrome that's at a middle altitude. Colorado Springs is but it's old and bumpy.

I know from first hand experience that sleeping at altitude makes a big difference. Especially when you want to perform at altitude. I grew up in Boulder, Colorado (~5,500 ft) and had a few friends up in Ward (10k ft). One year I decided I'd get an early jump on training, taking advantage of the nice weather down in town. While I was training hard, they were snowed in up in Ward, sitting on the couch drinking beer and smoking pot and getting cabin fever. Once spring broke up there I was talking trash about how I'd been training and how they were in for some hurt. I got my butt kicked anyway. D'oh! That's why places like Boulder are so popular for endurance athletes. Get a place up in the mountains, ride down in the morning and train "low" (relatively) then ride home getting good climbing training and then sleep high in your own bed with no tent.

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 03-04-09 at 09:17 AM.