Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a route or group

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 05:17 PM
ibike120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am looking for a bike route/trip notes or a group to bike with this summer. In the past, I have biked from Seattle to San Francisco, and from Savannah to Santa Monica. In the past, I went with a group called Overland, but seeing that I have completed their hardest trip, I'm not sure where to go from here. So if anyone knows of any good groups, or good routes that would be greatly appreciated.

Basically what I'm looking for is anything that is 100 or more miles per day, more than 3000 miles in total, and has a couple bike shops along the way.

Thanks
Old 03-16-09, 09:41 AM
John Nelson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you want supported, or unsupported (self-supported)? Do you want low budget or deluxe? Do you want U.S. or abroad?

There are quite a number of good touring companies. This web site lists and compared about 20 European ones.

https://www.biketour-reviews.com/

For routes, maps, and tours of all kinds, in the U.S., check out Adventure Cycling:

https://www.adventurecycling.org

Here's a site that lists about 100 touring companies:

https://www.bikeleague.org/links/touring.php

I certainly see a lot of activity from America by Bicycle, and PAC Tour.

https://www.pactour.com/

If you want challenge, try PAC Tour's Elite Tour. It goes across the U.S. in 17 days, doing 175 to 210 miles a day.

Here's another list of touring companies:

https://bicyclingworld.com/templates/suppliers.aspx

Try googling "bicycle touring companies" and you'll have enough reading for a long time. There is no shortage of options.

If you want specific recommendations, then provide more details about your preferences. What you've said so far doesn't narrow it down much.

Last edited by John Nelson; 03-16-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 11:32 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ibike,
If you want a challenge, try America by Bicycle and do one of their fast across trips.
https://www.americabybicycle.com/Fast/

Good luck on your ride.
Old 03-17-09, 04:00 PM
bicycletouring

Bikes: touring, mountain, folding, and a unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but if I were you I would get out of the United States. The US has some good riding, but it sounds like you've covered a lot of that already. Why not go somewhere else? Why not cycle across Canada? Or go from north to south in Mexico? Or maybe hit up Europe? Europe has some incredible bike paths... and they have tour groups to join there as well if that is what you are looking to do.

If I were you, I would start looking outside the US. Good luck!
Old 03-18-09, 07:34 AM
blueshrimp
Scatterbrain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some challenging cycling, try the Alps. Switzerland is a good place to start. .
Old 03-18-09, 06:56 PM
ibike120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pac

this all sounds awesome. the tour that stood out to me is the PAC 17 day cross country tour, but it was in 2007 and the website didn't seem to have any information on a ride this year... is there perhaps a different group that is taking the same route? or is there a small group doing it? if anyone has any information that would be awesome. thanks
Old 03-18-09, 07:00 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did that same Overland tour a few years back. Last summer I did a ACA northern route across the country and found that to be even better. If you don't need the whole guided tour aspect, I'd really suggest putting it together yourself and go for it.
Old 03-18-09, 07:12 PM
ibike120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I was PCA and ACA (Southern Route). I don't need the guided tour thing, but I can't go alone... not my choice... (my mom would freak...) I want to do something like the PAC Elite trip but I'm not sure if there are many people out there willing to do something like that.