Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD 9_5, how much discount from LBS can be expected?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 06:03 AM
vince321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a new Cannondale 9 5 from a LBS. My assumption is that one of the local shops in my area would offer a discount on the purchase. How much should be expected or asked for?

BTW - I live in Houston, TX. If anyone can give a recommendation, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-09, 06:11 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Why would you get a discount?

https://websterbicycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=49895

Old 03-19-09, 06:20 AM
vince321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's not possible to get a discount. Not sure, I haven't purchased a bike in over a decade. However, it would seem reasonable that bike shops, like most other high dollar purchases would be willing to negotiate somewhat.

If this is not the case, then that's cool and I won't expect anything but full MSRP.

Just trying to educate myself prior to making a purchase.
Old 03-19-09, 06:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Let me know how you do.
Thanks

Old 03-19-09, 06:55 AM
Shipht
Freezing Member

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt you would get any sort of discount to be honest. Unless you have some sort of long term relationship with the LBS I can't see them giving a stranger any sort of discount.

The CAAD 9 is a great bike, but by no means a 'big sale' compared to a lot of the higher-end bikes that this LBS may be dealing with.
Old 03-19-09, 07:09 AM
yamura

Bikes: '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've browsed the forums you probably have noticed the CAAD9 is a fairly popular bike, or at least the frame is. Not sure how that translates over into demand for it in the retail market but you might expect a little less budge on the dealer's part as a result.

If the dealer advertises on line and carries ads like "Spring Clearance" on selected models and that bike is one of them, you might have some bargaining power, especially if it's a last year's model, or if you ride a less common size and they need to move it.

If they don't budge might want to think about maybe getting them to throw in a set of pedals, or helmet or other equipment.
Old 03-19-09, 08:04 AM
rOOster14
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you go to Best Buy and purchase a 1000 dollar digital camera do you ask them how much of a discount you can get? Or do you find what you are looking for, hope the person is helpful enough to answer your questions and then walk out of the store, having shelled out the 1000+ dollars for said camera.

When you walk into a bike shop, are you not greeted much more enthusiastically, afforded a much more knowledgeable sales person and offered various services, discounts and help that will be available after the sale? yet you might still ask for a discount on the purchase.

My advice is to place the value of your dollar on the fulfilling side of purchases, and ask the big box stores for deals instead.
Old 03-19-09, 08:21 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rOOster14
When you go to Best Buy and purchase a 1000 dollar digital camera do you ask them how much of a discount you can get? Or do you find what you are looking for, hope the person is helpful enough to answer your questions and then walk out of the store, having shelled out the 1000+ dollars for said camera.

When you walk into a bike shop, are you not greeted much more enthusiastically, afforded a much more knowledgeable sales person and offered various services, discounts and help that will be available after the sale? yet you might still ask for a discount on the purchase.

My advice is to place the value of your dollar on the fulfilling side of purchases, and ask the big box stores for deals instead.
Best Buy is not like an independent bicycle dealer. I'm not saying an LBS should discount but for someone unsure why is it wrong to ask such a question?

Many independent stores like jewelry stores discount their products. Why is it wrong to wonder if an LBS would do the same?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 03-19-09, 08:25 AM
rOOster14
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i dont think it is wrong, i just think it is wrong when it is expected.
Old 03-19-09, 08:30 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rOOster14
i dont think it is wrong, i just think it is wrong when it is expected.
Thanks. Good point.
Old 03-19-09, 08:41 AM
vince321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If in fact it was common for bike dealerships to offer discounts, why would it be wrong to expect one? I expect a negotiation when purchasing many items. As previously mentioned, I haven't purchased a bike for many years and was looking for input from the folks on this forum who are much more familiar with the process then me.

If it is considered i'll mannered or unethical or if this is something that is not offered by LBS, then it would be best to pay fulll retail. I'm OK with this, but just wanted to clarify.
Old 03-19-09, 08:48 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
With the economy in the crapper and bike shops hemorrhaging cash, if I were buying a bike from a shop that I really liked/frequented I would just pay whatever they were asking and let the karma come back when I need a quick wrench job or something.
Old 03-19-09, 08:50 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is usually always a little wiggle room - at least up until the current financial woes. If they can't come down on price (and you'll never know unless you ask - politely), then maybe they can throw in some other crap to sweeten the pot.

On my last purchase I got the price lowered a little by joining some local club (duration of membership - about 10 minutes) and they threw in some water bottles as well. And I have a pretty good relationship with them now so when I pop by its "HEY", not "hey". Just be cool and go have a chat with them.
Old 03-19-09, 09:25 AM
bonggoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
discounts

I went to 4 Cannondale bike shops in the area (South East PA). One shop offered 10% discounts, 2 MSRP and 1 above MSRP. This was for CAAD9 5.
Old 03-19-09, 10:26 AM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since when was a price tag a suggestion?
Old 03-19-09, 10:41 AM
nikoncmk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were doing the 2009 caad9 6 for $900 out the door to strangers at my lbs (haggled price of course)
Old 03-19-09, 10:45 AM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure you can ask for a discount, but if the bike is selling well, which I believe it is, then why should the shop give you a significant discount vs. selling it to someone else at full price? The CAAD9 5 is probably one of the better deals out there right now. If they have one in stock on the floor, you could haggle a bit. In reality what are the shop's services + warranty worth to you? If the other Cannondale dealers in the area aren't discounting, then why should any of them break the trend? The only other way to get one is to buy it online, no warranty and no fitting service, and no recourse if anything goes wrong.
Old 03-19-09, 10:49 AM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't understand why folks are giving the OP a hard time about the discounting.

For sure, small stores are more amenable to price negotiations than big-box retailers, who simply deal with volume. Folks buying racing bikes constitute a very small segment of society, and thus will likely be paying a big premium on the manufacture price for a racing bike like the CAAD9 at the LBS. This allows the LBS to be a bit more flexible in price negotations. (Stating the obvious, I know.)

I'm all for supporting the LBS, particularly if they're good, but it's also no fun to talk to friends from other LBSs and realize you paid hundreds more for the same or inferior bike - this sort of situation intrinsically destroys the trust you have in your LBS, like it or not.

I think it's more than reasonable to ask about sales or discounts at your LBS. They are often happy to give you a "deal" to help encourage your purchase - particularly of higher end bikes. I just asked a few weeks ago about any $1400 road bikes on sale just out of interest, and my LBS showed me a few but was also more than happy to give me a steeply discounted quote on a 2008 CF Madone Ultegra/105 mix at $1650, which I gave serious consideration only because of the sale price.

Go ahead and ask about the discount. It's to your own mutual benefit. (But please be reasonable about your expectations and negotations.)

PS - My Cervelo P2C 2008 was one of, and most likely THE most desired tribike in 2008. I didn't expect to get any sort of deal because it is such an in-demand bike that is not produced in huge quantities for bulk, but my LBS automatically upgraded me from the Ultegra to DA as "goodwill." It was a good move - I'm sure they still made a pretty penny, and also got a loyal customer who has spend hundreds on other gear in the store as a result. The pricier the bike, the more flexibility in pricing - even for the hottest bikes, because the profit margin is so much higher on them.

Last edited by agarose2000; 03-19-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-19-09, 11:00 AM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just remember it doesn't hurt to ask. It also may help if you speak to the owner/manager rather than someone in sales who may or may not have the authority to issue a discount.
Old 03-19-09, 11:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
It can't hurt to ask. Some shops will sell at MSRP while others list the bike a little below.

When I bought a bike a few years ago, I told the LBS to throw in pedals and bottles and cages, and they had a deal. He said he could do the bottles and cages and would give me pedals at his cost, plus 15 percent off anything else I bought.

And to respond to the comment about Best Buy, I think that comparison would be better against buying a bike at Wal-Mart or Dicks. I think it is more common to negotiate prices in independent high-end shops, such as stereo shops, jewelry stores, camera stores or bike shops, where the owner has the ability to adjust prices. Best Buy (and yes, I have negotiated prices at there in the past) does not give most of its employees the authority to negotiate prices.
Old 03-19-09, 11:11 AM
alancw3

Bikes: c'dale six13, bobjackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
suggested retail price less 10%. that is what i was quoted from my lbs on a new super six. seems reasonable to me based on the economy.
Old 03-19-09, 11:32 AM
vince321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
Sure you can ask for a discount, but if the bike is selling well, which I believe it is, then why should the shop give you a significant discount vs. selling it to someone else at full price? The CAAD9 5 is probably one of the better deals out there right now. If they have one in stock on the floor, you could haggle a bit. In reality what are the shop's services + warranty worth to you? If the other Cannondale dealers in the area aren't discounting, then why should any of them break the trend? The only other way to get one is to buy it online, no warranty and no fitting service, and no recourse if anything goes wrong.
I feel this thread is getting a bit off topic. I never indicated a significant discount and was only curious about what others are getting, if any. In addition, it was also indicated that if no discount was available, it would be accaptable to pay full retail. Never was it mentioned that I would purchase online.

On past purchases, discounts from local deals have been passed on to me. A previous poster mentioned a "camera" purchase. Not to long ago I purchased a nice DSLR with lens and the store was willing to discount. I've purcased a higher end watch and the local jeweler passed on a significant discount. Hell, even my Ping golf clubs were discounted.

Why would a store pass on a discount? Because if I stop by a store and they offer 10% off of my purchase, they will sell me the bike, pedals, helmet, computer and gain a customer. Seems like a good deal to me, but then I'm not a LBS.

The post was started because if in fact discounts are common, then getting an idea from others of what to "expect" would be beneficial.
Old 03-19-09, 12:12 PM
rOOster14
anything but last

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i dont want you to feel like i had a negative take on your question, i was just kind of stating my opinion.

i wholeheartedly feel that providing any kind of discount is in the best psychological interest of the customer not to mention the few dollars that you will save. I think that if you have a great attitude, are friendly and politely ask for some sort of discount that you should be given one, so in short yes, i think when you go to the shop if you have this attitude that you should be able to attain some sort of discount, but be sure to provide that you are going to support the shop more than just purchasing the bike.
Old 03-19-09, 12:20 PM
jazz567
Chicken legs forever

Bikes: 2007 Caad9 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haggle away and see how you do.. I've bought plently of audio, video, music instruments, etc. over the years and have never paid the "tag" price. I'm not in the bike store business, but I would have to think that there is enough margin in higher end bikes for an LBS to be able to agree on a discounted price with you.

I would also let them know that one of the reasons you're buying from them is that you plan to come back and be a repeat customer and spend more money.
Old 03-19-09, 12:39 PM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just looked at one for my wife on Wednesday and they were going to take $100 off. So there is play room. Nice bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.