Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Bibs Necessary?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Bibs Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 08:45 PM
zerocool33
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are Bibs Necessary?

Just curious as I will be buying some new road gear coming up pretty quick. I tried on some Pearl Izumi Attack shorts on Sat, and they fit great and were very comfortable. Would I be better off going with bibs? I am a clyde if it matters. The only real benefit I see is that bibs won't slide down like shorts could. Am I missing anything else? I would probably be looking at Pearl Izumi Attack bibs.
Old 04-15-09, 09:00 PM
heads up!
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, once you've tried them you'll certainly think they're necessary. More than not having them slide down, bibs are all about not having something constricting your waist and your digestive tract while riding.

Clydes tend to be more prone to muffin top and plumber's crack. Why not use bibs to solve both those problems?
Old 04-15-09, 09:02 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes on the bibs, no on the PI
Old 04-15-09, 09:02 PM
slacker_express

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8, 2022 Specialized Sirrus 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are *many* posts here about bibs. Short story - if you search the site, you will find many people praising bibs. I rode for years with bike shorts. I bought bibs after seeing all the posts and I don't think I've used anything else since then. For me (and for many people), they are much more comfortable, especially since they don't typically have a waist band. So you don't have the band digging into your stomach. Another benefit is that you don't have to worry about the shorts slipping down during a ride, although I never had that problem.

All in all, bibs are not necessary. But if you can ignore how silly they look, you may find them much more comfortable than shorts.
Old 04-15-09, 09:05 PM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need bibs because without the straps, when you get out of saddle your pants fall down and you indecently expose yourself.
Old 04-15-09, 09:06 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not necessary, but way more comfy. Once you try out bibs, you'll be hooked. The lack of a waistband is the kicker.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 04-15-09, 09:06 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Once you go bib, you never go back. I started wearing bibs about 4 years ago, never wore my shorts again.
Old 04-15-09, 09:11 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just to reiterate what's been said, I would at least try a pair of bibs. I'm a newbie who, like most, bought shorts first. A couple months later I bought a pair of bibs and have used the shorts once since then.
Old 04-15-09, 09:12 PM
Thunder Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Once you go bib, you never go back. I started wearing bibs about 4 years ago, never wore my shorts again.
Holy Chr1st only four years ago?!?! I am soooo glad I was introduced to them earlier.
Old 04-15-09, 09:13 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick29
just to reiterate what's been said, I would at least try a pair of bibs. I'm a newbie who, like most, bought shorts first. A couple months later I bought a pair of bibs and have used the shorts once since then.
I started out with shorts then tried bibs and loved them. Are they necessary? No. Are they much better? Yes.
Old 04-15-09, 09:15 PM
Thunder Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick29;8739918[COLOR="Silver"
]just to reiterate what's been said, I would at least try a pair of bibs. I'm a newbie who, like most, bought shorts first.[/COLOR] A couple months later I bought a pair of bibs and have used the shorts once since then.
Oh my goodness, where do you put your nethers?
Old 04-15-09, 09:47 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan
Oh my goodness, where do you put your nethers?
wut?
Old 04-15-09, 09:52 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on the other side of bibs, I thought they were truly terrible. Wasn't a fan of wearing two 'shirts' on a ride.
Old 04-15-09, 10:07 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zerocool33
Just curious as I will be buying some new road gear coming up pretty quick. I tried on some Pearl Izumi Attack shorts on Sat, and they fit great and were very comfortable. Would I be better off going with bibs? I am a clyde if it matters. The only real benefit I see is that bibs won't slide down like shorts could. Am I missing anything else? I would probably be looking at Pearl Izumi Attack bibs.
If you are going to spend money anyway go for the bibs. You'll never look back.
Old 04-15-09, 10:17 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 74 Times in 19 Posts
>The only real benefit I see is that bibs won't slide down like shorts could.<

I'm in the minority camp - I've never been especially enamored of bibs. I like them, but I like shorts, too. Maybe it's because I don't have a gut - the waistband cutting into my flesh isn't an issue for me. The top of the bibs, at least in sunny S. California, just mean another layer of material holding in the heat from my body that I would like to dissipate.

Finally, it's a lot easier to go to the euphemism with shorts than bibs.
Old 04-15-09, 10:38 PM
nbac23
I carry one spare tire.

Bikes: 96 Gary Fisher Montare, 07 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bibs!
Old 04-15-09, 10:38 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't find that shorts cut into my waist at all, but I don't have a gut, either. For me the biggest benefits of bibs are the way they stay up and hold everything together. Shorts can do that, too, but as they get older the lycra tends to stretch and get baggy, so bibs have the edge there.

Bib downsides are the "extra shirt" like icyclist said. But if you live in a colder part of the world you probably won't mind that. Bathroom issues are not that big a deal.
Old 04-15-09, 10:45 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
Yes on the bibs, no on the PI
+1 on both accounts

Old 04-16-09, 04:46 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Bibs. Without question.
Old 04-16-09, 04:49 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Clyde here also, the lack of a waistband/muffin top is the best part for our physique.
Old 04-16-09, 05:09 AM
Supe
Road nubulon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a clyde if it matters. The only real benefit I see is that bibs won't slide down like shorts could. Am I missing anything else?
When you drop weight, you'll find those shorts end up being loose at the waist. While bibs may cost a bit more, you'll be able to hang on to them/use them longer. Bib straps = win. Your jersey covers the 'unitard' look. Knicks with draw strings solve loosening at the waist but then you end up with shorts that feel too constrictive.

Pay attention to fit. Take your time trying bibs on. Too tight, and you'll get a mangina (and testicle ache), possibly bust the seams and have mega difficulty getting them on and if they're loose, they won't keep your gear in place, it will feel uncomfortable and be of a lesser utility in wicking the sweat away. Straps shouldn't feel loose when standing up but snug. You'll know what's comfortable and what's not. One brand does not rule them all (thread wars have been fought over this idea) . So try on different brands. Stay away from cheap unless it's a run out on a previous season and they've received good feedback.
Old 04-16-09, 05:57 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wore bibs for the first time last week. They were OK. My main issue was trying to do the surreptitious side-of-the-road activity. I had to get pretty hunched over to get everything clear. When I use shorts, if a car comes up I can just let go of the elastic and you can't really tell what I'm doing. With the bibs it was pretty obvious from a mile away...
Old 04-16-09, 06:02 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by heads up!
Basically, once you've tried them you'll certainly think they're necessary. More than not having them slide down, bibs are all about not having something constricting your waist and your digestive tract while riding.
Clydes tend to be more prone to muffin top and plumber's crack. Why not use bibs to solve both those problems?
In 30 years of riding & racing, I never noticed the waistband. Bibs solve the crack problem, but are a pain at bio-break time. In the old days, jerseys were long enough to overlap the top of the shorts, but now they're not.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 04-16-09 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 06:19 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's pretty much it. On the whole, bib shorts usually have better quality chamois, but you can find that in a good pair of shorts. The Attack shorts are one of those.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 04-16-09, 06:20 AM
chrys9989
Feeling Lucky

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Ventura-Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I bought my first pair after I accidentally mooned two old ladies. Threw the shorts out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.