Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another PBK credit card fraud incident...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Another PBK credit card fraud incident...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 11:51 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've never bought from PBK, and I've been hit.

There are certain credit card processors that are being hit pretty regularly, so whether you use your cards online or in brick & mortar stores, keep an eye on them.

I have been hit on cards from 2 different banks, plus my credit union's debit card within the past 3 or 4 months. At least one that I hadn't used online in over a year.
Old 04-23-09, 11:57 AM
Brian_1
bike fandango

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
you are one of many with a similar MO - my CC number got sniped too, with random small purchases. chase took care of it.
I'm one of 'em. Never had a problem, and then bam! Fraudulent iTunes charge followed by several thousand dollar charges to a large dot com retailer. Thank goodness my credit card company was all over it and contacted me ASAP. It still cost me a week of calls and frustration changing accounts around. It's so easy for dishonest people to misuse your personal information. Our society strongly encourages the use of credit. Wherever you've used your credit cards is a source of potential fraud, even https "secure" online transactions. Believe it or not at your own risk.
Old 04-23-09, 12:01 PM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From what i've read previously, CC fraud happens far more often that we would expect it to. Most banks would prefer to keep security breaches quiet rather than have people get worried.
Old 04-23-09, 12:04 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scr660
****. Is it guaranteed that I'll get a fraudulent charge if I order from PBK?

I bought with my Citi Debit card. Does that make a difference?
Don't order online with a debit card, it's harder to get the monewy back.

I ohnly shop online now if I can use paypal.
Old 04-23-09, 12:08 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
hmm I used a mastercard and it has that protection thing where you have to enter a password to authenticate your payment. I hope this helps! I might ring up my bank and warn them I don't use itunes!
This has nothing to do with that authentication password.. Its their backend database thats compromised.
Old 04-23-09, 12:11 PM
mocella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik B
The iTunes charge seems to be a pretty standard ploy. Had that happen when we went though the same thing a couple months ago.
+1 - exactly how it started with my card, but I think there was also a $1 Napster charge on there as well.
Old 04-23-09, 12:14 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a point when we can just say this issue isn't road biking, and these can get moved to general or something?
Old 04-23-09, 12:18 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsellinger
Is there a point when we can just say this issue isn't road biking, and these can get moved to general or something?
Why would you want to hide this? Isn't it something people in road, the most used forum, need to know about?

There are constantly threads about buying on line. This is a thread about the inherent perils of this.
Old 04-23-09, 12:34 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank for posting this.
I was just about to place an order when i saw this.
So because of this thread, i found and used the paypal Secure Card feature which gave me a one-time use credit card number. Worked like a charm. Woot!
Old 04-23-09, 12:36 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
Why would you want to hide this? Isn't it something people in road, the most used forum, need to know about?

There are constantly threads about buying on line. This is a thread about the inherent perils of this.
I agree. I wouldn't have heard about this otherwise, and now I'm being careful to check my account every day to make sure there are no small fraudulent charges.

I am also going to use a one-time CC number in the future, so I'm glad this keeps getting posted!
Old 04-23-09, 12:38 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I buy a lot online with my CC. A month ago I got a nice new shiny card because someone charged three or four hundred dollars worth of stuff on my old account. I can't lay the blame on PBK for it though.

Perhaps I'll pick up another CC and buy something from them on it and see if it gets stolen. Then I'd be sure.
Old 04-23-09, 12:41 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but there are also inherent perils in driving, or eating food, or carrying cash. All of which could maybe be linked to some aspect of road biking.
Do you want someone to post every time they get in a fender bender driving to their LBS, or when they eat a gross sandwich on a ride?
At this point we are just beating a dead horse. My grandma knows about credit card fraud and at that point we are FAR FAR from "Road Biking".
Old 04-23-09, 12:48 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsellinger
Yes, but there are also inherent perils in driving, or eating food, or carrying cash. All of which could maybe be linked to some aspect of road biking.
Do you want someone to post every time they get in a fender bender driving to their LBS, or when they eat a gross sandwich on a ride?
At this point we are just beating a dead horse. My grandma knows about credit card fraud and at that point we are FAR FAR from "Road Biking".
We constantly talk about the perils of drivers and what foods we eat.
Old 04-23-09, 12:49 PM
darkhand
random idiot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Citibank lets your generate "Virtual" credit card numbers for 1 time purchases online. Haven't used that card much but might be something I/you guys check out.
Old 04-23-09, 12:50 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Ordered from PBK a month ago, got fraudulent Euro charges on my debit card last week, had to close it down and get a new one. But that's the first time, I ordered from them over the past 18 months without prior incident. I do suspect it was them because the charges were for Skype in Europe.

This wouldn't stop me from ordering from them again. The fraudulent charges (about $70) will eventually be refunded by my bank. But if you do order from them, watch your account like a hawk.
Old 04-23-09, 12:51 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Ordered from PBK a month ago, got fraudulent Euro charges on my debit card last week, had to close it down and get a new one. But that's the first time, I ordered from them over the past 18 months without prior incident. I do suspect it was them because the charges were for Skype in Europe.

This wouldn't stop me from ordering from them again. The fraudulent charges (about $70) will eventually be refunded by my bank. But if you do order from them, watch your account like a hawk.
Yep, that was my other one. iTunes, SonyStyle, and Skype.
Old 04-23-09, 12:58 PM
pilam99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Where the OP...He/she started the post and yet return to explain further..
I'm the OP and I'm back...jeez, don't you people have work to do (other than read BF)?

Anyway, I certainly don't KNOW it was PBK. And I should say, I'm not pointing the finger at any employee of PBK, they're probably great people. However, I'm very confident it is a result of the PBK transaction. I've had this # for years and almost all of the transactions on it are from routine vendors that I've used every month, mostly utility bill payment. I have not travelled since January so my charging has been consistent. PBK is the variable in recent months. It would be WAY too coincidental considering all these posts on here for it NOT to involve PBK. The iTunes charge went through at 6:46 AM and before 5:00 same day, Chase had shut my acct down so right away, they knew something was up. I don't think if I had bought a song from iTunes they would have shut it down, there must be something else they know. Likewise if the guy at the Mobil station across the street saw my cc# on teh secuirity cam and opened up an iTunes acct, I doubt that would have been flagged. There must be something in the transaction that sent up a red flag and I bet there is something known about the processor that PBK uses.

I saw the posts on here about PBK and cc fraud a couple days after I placed my order. Just want to get the word out so people are cautious and pay close attention after placing an order.
Old 04-23-09, 01:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,639 Posts
First time PBK charge last month and got the notice a few weeks later, Chase called me before the charges even showed up on-line. No little charges to iTunes but two relatively big charges went through and then the agent said a third charge requested additional information that resulted in the fraud alert. I'm sure it's not PBK's fault exactly but ordering from PBK is cause for extra security.

The interesting thing was the crooks ordered a TV from an on-line retailer for local pick-up in Wisconsin (I'm in California), I got the invoice in the mail with all the details. The other charge was for something from SkyMall.
Old 04-23-09, 01:12 PM
Crast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered from PBK in January and had my card replaced in February because someone in Spain tried to buy plane tickets, then expensive rail tickets, and then some electronics within 24 hours. Luckily none of those charges went through, else I'd have been out several hundred bucks.

I'd still order from PBK again, only I'll probably use my secondary card with a lower limit this time, not my main card where I charge all my utilities on it. Then again, seeing as how cool Capital One was with this, me not even being out a penny, maybe I should just keep using my main card.
Old 04-23-09, 01:21 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28793 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,338 Posts
Uh oh. I just placed a PBK order today . . .
Old 04-23-09, 01:36 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crast
I ordered from PBK in January and had my card replaced in February because someone in Spain tried to buy plane tickets, then expensive rail tickets, and then some electronics within 24 hours. Luckily none of those charges went through, else I'd have been out several hundred bucks.

I'd still order from PBK again, only I'll probably use my secondary card with a lower limit this time, not my main card where I charge all my utilities on it. Then again, seeing as how cool Capital One was with this, me not even being out a penny, maybe I should just keep using my main card.
You won't be out several hundred bucks...If the transactions go through you call the bank when you see them and tell them...They look into it and then credit your account...
Old 04-23-09, 01:56 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
You won't be out several hundred bucks...If the transactions go through you call the bank when you see them and tell them...They look into it and then credit your account...
BUT, your credit score is at risk, so be sure you take the necessary followup actions
Old 04-23-09, 02:27 PM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUT, your credit score is at risk, so be sure you take the necessary followup actions
How's that?
If he refuses to pay an outstanding debt I can see... Or identity theft where an account is opened in your name and you don't know about it, yeah. But fraudulent charges on a credit card?
Old 04-23-09, 02:31 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anticlimbactic
How's that?
If he refuses to pay an outstanding debt I can see... Or identity theft where an account is opened in your name and you don't know about it, yeah. But fraudulent charges on a credit card?
the necessary followup actions would be to contact the 3 credit score co's to ensure no one opens a new line of credit.
Old 04-23-09, 02:32 PM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the necessary followup actions would be to contact the 3 credit score co's to ensure no one opens a new line of credit.
Does this ever happen based solely on your credit card being stolen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.