Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

"Urban" cyclocross?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 05:06 PM
Dan515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Urban" cyclocross?

I just had a random idea come to me: is there such thing as "urban" cyclocross? What I mean by "urban" is that it's not on trails (mainly riding on grass/concrete/asphalt), and people dismount to run up stairs and possibly barriers that are set up on the course and stuff like that.

I know mud is part of cross, but this was just an idea. Maybe there could be areas where people throw water onto the racers just to mess with them
Old 04-28-09, 05:51 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds fun - I'm envisioning people racing through a school, up and down stairs and over desks and chairs and such. Though that's not really what you're thinking of.
Old 04-28-09, 06:13 PM
ShogunMSB
The West Coast

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think it could be done...I'd def go and see a race through downtown san francisco up and down stairs and through the alley ways....biking has unlimited possibilities!
Old 04-28-09, 06:24 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My friends and I have a Urban CX course that rides through a park and runs up two sets of stairs, one of them a monster. It's fun, insanely hard and we don't have to ride far to get to it. Only problem is one of the turns is semi-blind and if the car comes the other way left of center, it won't be too pretty.

Its doable for a few guys but more than that it could get dangerous because of traffic (though there is very little)
Old 04-28-09, 07:03 PM
same time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why, yes, there is, and it looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.bilenky.com/Cyclocross_race_08.html
Old 04-28-09, 09:13 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan515
I just had a random idea come to me: is there such thing as "urban" cyclocross? What I mean by "urban" is that it's not on trails (mainly riding on grass/concrete/asphalt), and people dismount to run up stairs and possibly barriers that are set up on the course and stuff like that.

I know mud is part of cross, but this was just an idea. Maybe there could be areas where people throw water onto the racers just to mess with them
It's called 'riding to work'.
Old 04-29-09, 07:16 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be really cool if you could do it officially. The hard part would be getting roads closed.
Old 04-29-09, 02:28 PM
Dan515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
Why, yes, there is, and it looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.bilenky.com/Cyclocross_race_08.html

Originally Posted by Aeroplane
It would be really cool if you could do it officially. The hard part would be getting roads closed.
Road closures maybe not, depending on sponsorship I guess. There's a "Tour de Gastown" around here where roadies race around downtown and stuff and so roads have to be closed and it's an annual event. I think it would be more difficult getting the stairwells, narrow alleys, and random obstacles to be set up without people messing about.

I just had the idea of urban cross just because it seems like a way to be able to race cross but not necessarily in the winter.
Old 04-29-09, 10:18 PM
greenpeppers
Is that the MEEWN?!

Bikes: Kahuna 09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also look up aley cat races, they're mainly done by bike messengers, but anyone can participate. They're races done in live traffic, or used to be I don't pay attention that much anymore. And you have to do pit stops at certain stations where you gotta do a crazy doance and sing at the same time or something.
It's kinda like it...just switch the dancing for stairclimbs and hurdling across a line of residential fences! that'd be cool.
Old 04-30-09, 01:14 PM
DonPenguino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is this going down in Chicago. Trust me, it'll be brutal.
Old 05-01-09, 04:38 AM
kennykaos
sweathogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we have one urban cross race a year here put on by bilenky cycles in their junkyard, its done every december about a week or two before christmas, check out the pictures on their website.
Old 05-05-09, 09:04 PM
tad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to get something like that going on in DC...
steps of the monuments, anyone?
Old 05-05-09, 09:34 PM
iwegian
Steel snob by accident

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dan, quick question. is 515 your area code?
Old 05-12-09, 07:46 AM
bartokomous

Bikes: Cervelo P2C, Benotto beater-conversion-polobike, Bareknuckle, Gunnar Crosshairs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine sets up an annual CX stage race in Baltimore. I think there are something like 6 short races in one day. Group ride through the city from race to race. Most of the races are in parks, but one was through a construction site this past year. Since lugging barriers around all day is no fun, the courses had to involve staircases, huge runups, and natural barriers to force dismounts. One of the most fun CX days I've had.

Look around your neighborhood. I'm sure there are tons of potential courses.
Old 05-12-09, 08:27 AM
TK421

Bikes: 79' Schwinn Voyageur, 2008 IRO Mark V, 2007 Trek X01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In an alley cat, if there is an obstacle like a long set of stairs or what have you, usually we leave our bikes at the bottom of that. I know it's not a cross race but if there were some stipulation to the distance from body to bike, I think alley cats could get interesting. I remember a race we did this last winter involved a lot of train tracks sort of line up like barriers which required a lot of lifting of the bike. That's about as cross as it gets- and it's up to the winner of the last race to plan the next one in Milwaukee so... win races and you could have your Urban CX dream come true!
Old 05-12-09, 09:50 AM
axcxnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recently we did a "tracklocross" race, on randalls is in NYC, it was a mix between an alleycat and a CX race...iit had grass, mud, dirt and roads and curbs...lots of fun!
Old 05-12-09, 10:11 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
It's called 'riding to work'.
Yup...
Old 05-12-09, 10:27 AM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a race in Charlottesville called Urban Cross. It's run around an old silk mill near downtown, and is pretty cool. Good for spectators, and there's food and stuff around.
Old 05-13-09, 11:05 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
My friends and I have a Urban CX course that rides through a park and runs up two sets of stairs, one of them a monster. It's fun, insanely hard and we don't have to ride far to get to it. Only problem is one of the turns is semi-blind and if the car comes the other way left of center, it won't be too pretty.

Its doable for a few guys but more than that it could get dangerous because of traffic (though there is very little)
I'm thinking either the stairs from the art building to the music building parking lot, or the stairs up the Jefferson Hill on East Green?