Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Quick release problem...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Quick release problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 08:02 PM
josh_truant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick release problem...

Trying to convert a 1980's Ross Gran Tour into a single-speed, everything was going smooth until I went to put the wheels back on. The derailer was against the drop-outs and sandwiched in the quick release when everything was mounted, so now that the rear derailer is gone, the quick release can't clamp enough to hold the wheel in place. Is it safe to find any washer that'll fit to make up for the gap?
Old 05-15-09, 08:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by josh_truant
Trying to convert a 1980's Ross Gran Tour into a single-speed, everything was going smooth until I went to put the wheels back on. The derailer was against the drop-outs and sandwiched in the quick release when everything was mounted, so now that the rear derailer is gone, the quick release can't clamp enough to hold the wheel in place. Is it safe to find any washer that'll fit to make up for the gap?
You need to learn how to write comprehensible posts. If what I think you're trying to say is what is actually happening then you need to shorten the QR axle. File or hacksaw both.
Old 05-15-09, 09:29 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't get it either, so I'm just going to refer you here,
https://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
hope that helps
Old 05-15-09, 09:35 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 555 Times in 381 Posts
you can add some washers as spacers, but you are better off converting the QR to solid axle.
Old 05-16-09, 05:58 AM
josh_truant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, yea, I just re-read what I wrote and it is pretty obscure. Sorry, I was in a rush to post it. But you figured out my gibberish, I think. To clarify, the rear derailer was mounted so that it was in between the drop-out and the quick release handle. So now that there is no derailer, there's a gap when I try to tighten the quick release. I can't just trim the axle; the extra length for the derailer was made up for by a longer threaded part which sits inside the drop-out when properly positioned. I guess I could theoretically, but I don't think I could pull off that precise of a cut without a severe damage risk. I'm gonna try some washers today, but I guess I'll have to save up for a new axle.
Old 05-16-09, 09:19 AM
pyroguy_3

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1970's Miyata Liberty ala fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw some washers in there and find out how solid it will be. If it seems okay, then I don't see any reason not to do it.