Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Road Food While Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 02:34 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I sometimes plan my tours around chili, pie, soups and resturant atmosphere.

Food and service, to many of us, is as important as the bike!

Share the wealth brothers and sisters, what is hot and what is not, but let's concentrate on the hot!
Old 02-09-05, 02:49 PM
Belugadave

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely agree with the "pie", especially the piece I had in Pie Town, New Mexico at 10:00am after eating breakfast. I didn't even have to go out of my way to get there. You've got to make it to Pie Town someday.

But I'll pass on the chili and soup, they don't do too much for me. I will go out of my way for a big juicy cheeseburger and for the simple pleasures, you can't go wrong with good old peanut butter and jelly (the ultimate energy food).
Old 02-09-05, 02:52 PM
axolotl

Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Well, street and market food is wonderful in Thailand and SE Asia. You're never very far from good food there. Noodle dishes are always a good bet in Thailand and form Chinese vendors in Malaysia. There was some wonderful street food in Penang especially. For example, crepes with a peanut filling. Throughout Malaysia & Singapore, you can get outstanding roti in the morning. It's a type of flaky griddle-cooked bread that you pull apart and eat with a wonderful spicy dipping sauce. We ate it virtually every morning when my friend & I were biking in Malaysia.

Mexico has some of the best food I've had anywhere. Besides great restaurant food, there is great street food. My favorties are tamales and gorditas. Mexico has one of the most varied and complex cuisines on the planet. Fantastic food!
Old 02-09-05, 03:11 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An ice cold beer or three!

(Oatmeal stout is food)
Old 02-09-05, 03:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I sometimes plan my tours around chili, pie, soups and resturant atmosphere.

Food and service, to many of us, is as important as the bike!

Share the wealth brothers and sisters, what is hot and what is not, but let's concentrate on the hot!
In 2003 I rode the eastern 1/3 of the Lewis and Clark. No pie. I did have a good blackberry cobbler in Smithville, MO on my birthday. And the most wonderful plate of linguine and clamsauce ever imaginable at the Fontier Cafe in St. Charles, MO. Ranks right up there with a stuffed flounder and mustard sauce I had in Richmond, VA eons ago. I can still taste it!

I wanted ribs in Omaha but ribs, me and bicycling for several miles do not agree. Aroma was sure great!

Stuart Black
Old 02-09-05, 03:19 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Oatmeal and PBJ. Tuna salad and fast food cheeseburgers when I'm sick of life.
Old 02-09-05, 03:52 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Travelers of the west coast take note...The Otis Cafe, in Otis Oregon, between Neskowin and Lincoln City on Rt 18 one mile off of Pacific Coast Hwy.

Very low keyed, bike friendly, wonderful food. When you order bread with soup or dinner, it's made in the kitchen and they slice it 1 in thick. I stopped and had dinner after a 60 mile day, it was so good that I asked if I could camp out back so I could stay for breakfast, which was also fantastic. They were happy to let me camp, I was happy to wake to the smell of buckwheat cakes!!!
Old 02-09-05, 04:01 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, side of bacon and bottomless cup of coffee. no day started on a tour with this meal will turn out badly. particularly when ended with the afore-mentioned two to three beers.
Old 02-09-05, 04:40 PM
elmira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oreo cookies, and pinapple chunks.
Old 02-09-05, 05:58 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ground up sheep "parts", spread on a flakey buttery roll. -At least that's what I kinda figured I was eating, due to the looks the baker gave me (and her several attempts at disuading me from buying it). Somewhere in eastern Hungary this past summer.

Rather tastey actually, on a hot day, with a few beers.
Old 02-09-05, 06:03 PM
DocF
Older Than Dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camel
Ground up sheep "parts", spread on a flakey buttery roll. -At least that's what I kinda figured I was eating, due to the looks the baker gave me (and her several attempts at disuading me from buying it). Somewhere in eastern Hungary this past summer.

Rather tastey actually, on a hot day, with a few beers.

If you have enough beer, most anything is tasty!

Doc
Old 02-09-05, 06:08 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A-yup, that's what I'm thinkin'.
Old 02-09-05, 06:49 PM
beowoulfe
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are not cycling it's GROSS. But this stuff will keep you alive and cycling......Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Old 02-09-05, 07:16 PM
tourbike
pierced member

Bikes: Shogun Cromoly 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doughnuts. Nothing better for cheap, fast energy. I discovered this (and I hated doughnuts previously) while on a less-than-optimally funded tour, and needed something to fill the energy void. I have a high metabolism, and realized that I could eat as much as I wanted every day and still lose weight, while burning up to 4000 calories a day. Doughnuts filled the calorie hole nicely, with the delightful combo of fat/sugar/starch.
The best doughnuts in the world are in a small bakery in Cardiff-By-The-Sea, California (between LA and San Diego). If your doing the West Coast route, I absolutely recommend you stop in on them. Just ask anyone in town...
Old 02-09-05, 07:59 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Liked 344 Times in 231 Posts
there are about 18 pizza huts in australia. if you plan your perimeter circuit right,
you can visit them all. (my record is 22 slices, 4 salads, 6 deserts)

stateside, chinese buffet. all day, every day. except in new mexico, then git
yourself a 3/4-pound green chile/bacon/pepper jack cheeseburger. mmmmmmm.
Old 02-10-05, 05:46 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Oatmeal! The original work food is the ticket for all-day, everyday, heavy-laden cycle-camping. It gives out its energy slowly and is ideal for heavy work (aka Newfoundland fishermen). I swear by it! It's a pity it tastes like sh*t.
George.
Old 02-10-05, 07:07 AM
librarian

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring, Raleigh Sport Comfort, Cannondale ST400, Cannondale Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guiness-an even better way to get your grains. And it tastes better than oatmeal.

From the Guines Website
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries — it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into a rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional "liquid cereal" beverage.

Originally Posted by onbike 1939
Oatmeal! The original work food is the ticket for all-day, everyday, heavy-laden cycle-camping. It gives out its energy slowly and is ideal for heavy work (aka Newfoundland fishermen). I swear by it! It's a pity it tastes like sh*t.
George.
Old 02-10-05, 09:41 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guinness must be the most misspelled brand name.

I too plan my trips around beer, but rather than drink 'one of the usual suspects' I prefer real ale. I'm lucky I live in a city with one real ale brewer, but often I travel to Britain where no self respecting landlord would be caught dead without at least one in good nick.

For the uninitiated, real ale is made ONLY with malt, water and hops, and is naturally bubbly and kept at a higher temperature than most lagers. As a result the ale is full of complex flavours and aromas.

As for food when travelling, I usually brows the 'fresh and ready' section of the supermarket. Nothing is more lonely that eating alone in a restaurant.
Old 02-10-05, 10:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
there are about 18 pizza huts in australia. if you plan your perimeter circuit right,
you can visit them all. (my record is 22 slices, 4 salads, 6 deserts)

stateside, chinese buffet. all day, every day. except in new mexico, then git
yourself a 3/4-pound green chile/bacon/pepper jack cheeseburger. mmmmmmm.
You lucky dog! I found that during the day while riding, I can eat much of anything like pizza or cheeseburgers. Had pizza in S. Dakota once and it was still with me when I got to Kansas (5 days later). Spent the rest of the trip eating toddler food during the day while riding and saved a real meal for nighttime.

Bummer

Stuart Black
Old 02-10-05, 01:22 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stokell
I too plan my trips around beer, but rather than drink 'one of the usual suspects' I prefer real ale. I'm lucky I live in a city with one real ale brewer, but often I travel to Britain where no self respecting landlord would be caught dead without at least one in good nick.
Interesting idea. A US tour based on beer could be fun. Though not a lot of places advertise 'real ale' in this country.

On that subject, there's a microbrewery in Chilton, WI that's worth a visit. It's name escapes me at the moment, however...
Old 02-10-05, 02:21 PM
axolotl

Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Well, nearly everyone seems focused on American junk food. I still say you can't beat the street food of Thailand & Mexico. But if you insist on some American junk food, make sure you try malasadas & shave ice with red bean paste when biking in Hawaii. And if you are biking in Quebec or some neighboring areas, you must try Canada's contribution to junk food: Poutine, a nasty concoction of french fries & fresh cheese curds, all smothered in gravy. One order of poutine kept me biking for a couple of days!
Old 02-10-05, 03:11 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Originally Posted by axolotl
Well, nearly everyone seems focused on American junk food. I still say you can't beat the street food of Thailand & Mexico. But if you insist on some American junk food, make sure you try malasadas & shave ice with red bean paste when biking in Hawaii. And if you are biking in Quebec or some neighboring areas, you must try Canada's contribution to junk food: Poutine, a nasty concoction of french fries & fresh cheese curds, all smothered in gravy. One order of poutine kept me biking for a couple of days!
Yuuuum..Malasadas, the doughnut that gets it right. Don't forget the Muanapua, my favorite is the chicken curry.
Old 02-10-05, 05:45 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Liked 144 Times in 94 Posts
Gotta agree with PBJ - it's a staple on my long trips.
I usually tie the loaf of bread on top of my pack in the back to keep it from crushed.
Some folks use tortillas instead of bread - but I'm a purist.

As for pie - there are two places that come to mind.
#1 - The Olollaberry pie at the Davenport cafe - just north of Santa Cruz, Calif.
#2 - Any of the pies at the cafe in Gibbonsville, Idaho - just south of Lost Trail Pass.

Last summer as I was heading up the pass in the evening I though - "I wonder if that cafe has any pie?"
And DID it! Incredible combinations - like peach raspberry, and apple blueberry.
I ordered one piece and she brought out half pieces of two others for me to sample.
They sure weren't frozen, restaurant food service pies.

Just curious - - when I bike alone I rarely cook - often I end up mailing my cooking stuff back home. I just rabbit food it in camp and stop for coffee and company at a cafe in the morning. On a chilly day I may have soup for lunch or dinner. I find cooking a chore when I am biking alone. When I'm with another rider - it's altogether different - - chicken enchiladas a la campstove - - pasta primavera - you name it.
How do others feel about cooking when solo touring?

Best - J

PS - Added a pic of the Salmon River near Gibbonsville - central Idaho is an overlooked touring mecca.
Old 02-10-05, 06:24 PM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
anything i can dumpster dive thats vegan.
Old 02-10-05, 08:49 PM
elmira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"anything i can dumpster dive thats vegan" HELL YES!

You may not have ever thought so, but oreos are vegan, and it is easy to get a lot of calories from them without making you feel fool and slow. Oreos also have a low dollar to calorie ratio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.