Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Painters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame Painters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 08:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
I sent my frame to Peter to paint. He did it, or maybe Betsy did it, but I paid Peter. He might still be available to do that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-09, 01:51 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About handpainting bikes: I`we seen more than once in this forums that peopel do this and I wanted to try. The bike is from the 70`s and there must be a problem with the original paint since it is falling off without ewen touching it, I thiink from many years in the sun.

This is a 20" detatchable and I think it is going to need strong paint for that reason, I am going to "beat it up" taking it here and there.

Do not want to powdercoat before I know if I like it. Also want to build it up fast.

Painted first layer with a brush, Hammerlite red paint. Ended up unewen, a bit like celulite (not the old fashioned Hammerlite way). Sanded down quite a bit to get a smoot base for the next layer.

Used a foam roll this time, hoping for it to be better. Cellulite again, more matte finnish this time. I am thinking maybe I should have applyed more paint, but was afraid of the running I got the first time.

What should I do?? Thank you.
Old 04-11-09, 09:55 PM
j mazz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centurion Ironman restore

I bought an Ironman Master for $60. It was rough but all original. It had a very cool purple fade paint job with black smoke swirled in it. When it hit the light a certain way you could see a hint of purple in the white. Thanks to Robbie Tunes and others for giving me the history. I called a few places that I thought might be able to duplicate it and either they couldn't or wanted to much $$ to do it. I found this powder coating place 5 minutes from my house in Connecticut and it just so happened there was a guy working there who used to have a custom motorcycle shop - score! He looked at the frame and knew exactly to recreate it. It came out awesome. Sand blasted, powder coated white, purple fade painted, acetylene torched for the smole effect, flip flop purple applied, decals applied, clear coated. Here's a link to the pictures he took at each stage. https://picasaweb.google.com/jmazzabu...29796573379746
Before and some after pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01811.jpg (94.7 KB, 97 views)
powder coat.jpg (100.0 KB, 69 views)
purple fade.jpg (99.9 KB, 85 views)
smoke swirl.jpg (100.9 KB, 67 views)
decals on.jpg (99.7 KB, 72 views)
clear coat.jpg (99.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 04-14-09, 09:09 AM
j mazz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Any suggestions for painters in the Connecticut area ? I have a steel bike in need of a re-paint with minor rust removal, and some downtube cable stops added.

TIA
I just had mine done - (see posting for pictures) awesome job.
Bill Conley 203-231-1051
Old 04-21-09, 07:44 PM
Robzilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of a painter near Dallas,TX ?
Old 04-27-09, 06:17 PM
MRoth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robzilla
Anyone know of a painter near Dallas,TX ?
Give David at Southwest Frameworks a call. He's done a lot of work for me and I've always been very pleased with it. He also had a vintage picnic and ride last October that was a blast. I hope he's going to do another one this year.

https://www.southwestframeworks.com
Old 04-28-09, 05:52 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I got my '87 Fuso repainted by Bilenky Cycle Works. It also needed new cable guides and a downtube. Decal set isn't complete and they forgot to paint the pantographed Fuso on the fork black but did a good job on the frame.

Before PICS

After

Old 04-28-09, 01:34 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bbattle
I got my '87 Fuso repainted ...
Do you still have that blue marble handlebar tape? That will, if all goes well, look perfect on your Pinarello.

Or black ... as a default, it'll match the decals.

The title of this one is "Spring Thaw".

Old 05-04-09, 03:08 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I finished removing the original paint from an old Voyageur('83 or '85) trying to save the cost of sandblasting before possible powdercoat. For whatever reason I started by using an oscillating sander with 80 grit pads. This worked well until the tight areas of the lugs so I bought a paint remover similar to "Zip Strip", did the lugs and decided I may as well coat the front forks since I hadn't sanded them. I wish I'd coated the stays with this stuff cause I discovered that the lower front forks and the rear stays were chromed. The original paint went over all of this. I unknowingly sanded the chrome off the stays. Lesson learned.
Old 05-06-09, 06:26 AM
skidmarx
paramount member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
vermont powder coating

Jeebus. I'm feeling responsible for this thread getting unstickyed. I went back and read the original post and looking for more paint info and the realized there be rules. My point for posting in the above is many frames most likely have had their forks and stays dipped in chrome before the final coat and sometimes that coat disregards the dipping. If you're hoping to have any chrome in your new paint job those areas would be best tested with chemical paint remover in the prep work.

To get in line with the rules, I've had one Voyageur powder coated by R&B Powder Coating in Poultney Vermont 802-287-2300. They did a great job and pics are coming. I just delivered another Voyageur for the same treatment having prepped it myself this time around trying to save on their labor while contemplating my own spray job. I'll have that back later this week with pics for post.
Old 05-12-09, 12:34 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
How about a painter/restorer in the NJ area?? Someone who wouldn't forget to color the little fork top heart inserts red!
Old 05-12-09, 06:47 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by skidmarx
Jeebus. I'm feeling responsible for this thread getting unstickyed. I went back and read the original post and looking for more paint info and the realized there be rules. My point for posting in the above is many frames most likely have had their forks and stays dipped in chrome before the final coat and sometimes that coat disregards the dipping. If you're hoping to have any chrome in your new paint job those areas would be best tested with chemical paint remover in the prep work.
I've read it a half dozen times and I just can't figure out what you're trying to say.

The chrome dipping takes place before any paint is applied.
Old 06-03-09, 03:08 PM
tomwalker8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have pics (may get some posted soon) and it's been around 10 years since I had my '70 Paramount redone, but the guy who did it, Matt Assenmacher, did an excellent job. I'd looked at Cycle Art, but thought they were awfully pricey. I was living in CA at the time - Matt's shop is in MI so I had the shipping to deal with. Turnaround, including shipping, was around 2 weeks. The bike still looks new and rides great. Here's a link to his site: https://www.assenmachers.com/
Old 06-03-09, 06:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Eastern NC,...painting: www.porkchopcustoms.com Buddy is a good painter, Vanceboro.
powdercoating: Xtreme Coatings in Pinetops.

I'll get pics when I've got the re-do done.
Old 06-10-09, 12:52 PM
surewriting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone know of any good sandblasters/powdercoaters up near buford, ga? zip 30519. im looking to get an old huffy tandem stripped and powdercoated yellow for around the $100-ish range. nothing too fancy, just too lazy to strip and paint it myself lol
Old 06-10-09, 07:53 PM
michaeldaruwala

Bikes: Gios "Aerodynamic" with an electic mix of Campy and Cinelli parts. A custom made Chinook frame built by Bruce Gordon, using Columbus tubing and Cinelli lugs silver brazed. I have upgraded the components on this bike to Campy Chrorus 9 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While on the subject of painting, I have a query which I would like to throw open to fellow enthusiasts. The background is that I have a GIOS AERODYNAMIC frame which I bought 30 odd years back in London. The frame is in mechanically perfect condition. However the paint on the chain stays and main triangle need touching up to maintain the frame's integrity. I live in Bombay and corrosion sets in very fast during the monsoon.
Now for my query
1) Is it better to go the original route of a red oxide primer, followed by a grey surface coat, and then the final coat of a matching colour or..
2) Have the frame epoxy coated (stripping the frame will be done by me. However I intend to leave the pressed in steering races on.....
3) Would powder coating be a wiser route to follow (Once again steering races left on)

Love to hear other's view on the topic
Old 06-11-09, 05:04 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by j mazz
I bought an Ironman Master for $60. It was rough but all original. It had a very cool purple fade paint job with black smoke swirled in it. When it hit the light a certain way you could see a hint of purple in the white. Thanks to Robbie Tunes and others for giving me the history. I called a few places that I thought might be able to duplicate it and either they couldn't or wanted to much $$ to do it. I found this powder coating place 5 minutes from my house in Connecticut and it just so happened there was a guy working there who used to have a custom motorcycle shop - score! He looked at the frame and knew exactly to recreate it. It came out awesome. Sand blasted, powder coated white, purple fade painted, acetylene torched for the smole effect, flip flop purple applied, decals applied, clear coated. Here's a link to the pictures he took at each stage. https://picasaweb.google.com/jmazzabu...29796573379746
Before and some after pictures:
I can't remember the name of the maker, but there was once an Italian company whose hallmark was smoked on a white background, which looked a lot like your frame.
Old 06-11-09, 07:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
Originally Posted by michaeldaruwala
While on the subject of painting, I have a query which I would like to throw open to fellow enthusiasts. The background is that I have a GIOS AERODYNAMIC frame which I bought 30 odd years back in London. The frame is in mechanically perfect condition. However the paint on the chain stays and main triangle need touching up to maintain the frame's integrity. I live in Bombay and corrosion sets in very fast during the monsoon.
Now for my query
1) Is it better to go the original route of a red oxide primer, followed by a grey surface coat, and then the final coat of a matching colour or..
2) Have the frame epoxy coated (stripping the frame will be done by me. However I intend to leave the pressed in steering races on.....
3) Would powder coating be a wiser route to follow (Once again steering races left on)

Love to hear other's view on the topic
Best to take the steering races of in any case. The frame should be faced after the paint. Lugged frames are difficult to powder coat well.
Old 06-15-09, 11:57 AM
michaeldaruwala

Bikes: Gios "Aerodynamic" with an electic mix of Campy and Cinelli parts. A custom made Chinook frame built by Bruce Gordon, using Columbus tubing and Cinelli lugs silver brazed. I have upgraded the components on this bike to Campy Chrorus 9 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I went to a powder coating shop, and was not quite convinced of the gentle art they employ to stip the frame of the old paint. I am therefore embarking on an extensive, touch up job, which will blend in with the original colour. Mechanics with good tools who are able to face the steering tube after painting and press in the steering races are non existent in India.
Old 06-22-09, 08:27 AM
LAWMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up getting mine blasted & powder-coated flat black; it turned out really well (if you like flat black). mine is an old custom from '94 that needed paint, but it's no classic so I was not interested in trying to match the original paint or anything. I dropped off the bike at my LBS & they took it apart, took it to the powder coat guy, they picked it up & reassembled it, all for I think it was $250 OTD. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 07-24-09, 09:12 PM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Painter in Los Angeles? I called Palms Cycle Shop and the guy who answered the phone said that they only do powder coating. I'm interested in getting frame painted.
Old 03-14-10, 01:58 PM
GregLast

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. I found this in a google search and post #20 is ridiculously good information.
Old 03-14-10, 02:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
Thanks for the resurrection.

Sorry for my laziness, but I'd like to know about baking. Is it practical to use the oven in my kitchen? I can't fit the whole frame in or close the door, but I'm thinking about putting the frame halfway in with the door open. Then I'd turn it around and bake again. Is this useful, safe, effective?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-10-14, 12:45 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by tomwalker8
I don't have pics (may get some posted soon) and it's been around 10 years since I had my '70 Paramount redone, but the guy who did it, Matt Assenmacher, did an excellent job. I'd looked at Cycle Art, but thought they were awfully pricey. I was living in CA at the time - Matt's shop is in MI so I had the shipping to deal with. Turnaround, including shipping, was around 2 weeks. The bike still looks new and rides great. Here's a link to his site: Assenmachers Cycling Centers - Flint, Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek, Fenton, Flushing, Davison, Genesee County, MI Trek, Specialized, Co-Motion, Trailmate, Mirra Frame Repair Painting and Refinishing.
Has anyone had paint done at Assenmachers?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-10-14, 01:19 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Has anyone had paint done at Assenmachers?
Assenmachers did a good job on my Gitane, but it took them forever to get it back to me--something like 8 months, I think. I mentioned that to someone once who told me they kept his frame for almost a year (or maybe just over a year, I forget) before he finally just had them send it back unpainted.

That was in about 2004, I think. They may be very prompt now for all I know. But before I'd send them another frame I'd ask for some kind of guarantee that they'd do the work within a reasonable time.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.