Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

another backpack thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

another backpack thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 05:25 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
another backpack thread

I know I know, it has been asked before, but I am quite specific in my requirements!

I am looking for a backpack (am currently looking for alternative options to my single pannier), I don't carry that much but the main thing is an eaglecreek folder which is 38cm x 25cm and perhaps some lunch, tools and bits and bobs. If I need to carry more then I can use my panniers.

I am also hoping to put a hydration pack in the bag - I wear a full face helmet so can't use a water bottle to drink, and I get hot on my commute!

I want a backpack that will reduce sweaty back syndrome, is waterproof / comes with a cover, and is as small(thin) as possible!

The ones I have looked at so far are:

Ortlieb Velocity: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Or...ck/5360022381/
Deuter Race / Race X: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/De...ck/5360041647/

I think the Deuter would be more suited to my purposes but was wondering if it has enough space for the eaglecreek folder?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or has a Deuter Race / Race X who could help me with the capacity question?

Thanks

Daven
Old 06-16-09, 06:31 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I went through this I ended up going with the Novara commuter backpack sold at REI. It was much cheaper and the only bag I could actually check out in person. It fits enough for me for a whole day and has a space to fit a hydration pack. No idea if it will fit your folder...

Wait, full face helmet...?
Old 06-16-09, 06:42 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ergon. Dunno about the folder tho, but IIRC it comes in several sizes

https://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/02...ckpack-review/
Old 06-17-09, 01:43 AM
TheRealNicola
Daily Commuter

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the crumpler mahoubar, It's pretty nice for my commutes. I'm not sure if the mahoubar has a space for a hydration pack but i think crumpler has some bags that do.
Old 06-17-09, 06:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
You ever ride with a backpack? I find it raises my center of gravity and wouldn't make it a regular choice for all the stuff I like to carry. But that's me. I just got a smaller rack trunk and I'm trimming what I carry rather than trying to carry more. But then, I can drive to my office once a week to exchange clothes.
Old 06-17-09, 07:34 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
You ever ride with a backpack? I find it raises my center of gravity and wouldn't make it a regular choice for all the stuff I like to carry.
I have more issue with ventilation... my back ends up soaked.
Old 06-17-09, 07:41 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302699687

The expansion zip is pretty slick... zipped up it barely looks bigger than a hydration pack, and open I can really pack a lot of stuff in there.
Old 06-17-09, 07:48 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have ridden with a backpack before which is why I want one with something that will prevent, as best as possible, a sweaty back. With regards to the centre of gravity, I won't be carrying much weight which is why I want something thin!

I had looked at that one ghettocruiser, would I be able to fit a 38cm x 25cm folder in it?

Thanks
Old 06-17-09, 07:54 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daven1986

I had looked at that one ghettocruiser, would I be able to fit a 38cm x 25cm folder in it?
I think so.
Old 06-17-09, 07:54 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite what marketing materials say, no backpack will prevent sweaty back. Even those with channels and pads built-in still have to rest on your back somehow, and your shirt will soak at those spots.

It's a moot point for me since I get sweaty without a backpack (seriously, how are you all not sweating when it's 80F+ outside and you're working hard on a bike???), so I just change clothes when I get where I'm going.
Old 06-17-09, 08:39 AM
nyc_commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo_vt
Despite what marketing materials say, no backpack will prevent sweaty back. Even those with channels and pads built-in still have to rest on your back somehow, and your shirt will soak at those spots.

It's a moot point for me since I get sweaty without a backpack (seriously, how are you all not sweating when it's 80F+ outside and you're working hard on a bike???), so I just change clothes when I get where I'm going.
Ditto. I commute about 10 miles and even on a cool morning like today (55F), my back still seems to get plenty sweaty. I have a Lowe Alpine backpack w/ some type of air flow suspension that helps significantly - the purpose of these suspension systems is not to prevent sweating, but to help your sweat evaporate so that you won't have a huge puddle on your back. Although I still get two small wet circles (about an inch and a half in diameter) on my lower back where the pack touches (it's gotta touch somewhere), this is a huge improvement from when I used to commute w/ a regular backpack: the pack would trap the sweat, making for a hot steamy ride (it used to feel like I had a mini sauna on my back) and by the time I got to work the back of my shirt would look like I played a game of full court basketball. You will sweat regardless w/ some amount of aerobic activity; the key is to ventilate properly so as to improve your ride/comfort.

Last edited by nyc_commuter; 06-17-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 09:13 AM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally I use an Osprey Daylite. It's designed to be a small add-on to a much larger hiking backpack that can be removed for use as a small daypack, but I've never owned a big hiking pack- it think it is equally useful for cycling.

Compact with compression straps, breast and waist straps, and a pouch for a hydration bladder (haven't used this feature yet, I have a bladder coming tomorrow). It also has some mesh pockets for water bottles if you want some juice or sports drink too. Back padding is such that my back doesn't get soaked--lots of ribs and channels and pads for airflow--but it lacks a real suspension system like some packs have now.
Really, my only complaint is that there aren't a whole lot of pockets: one large compartment and one small pocket, plus the mesh pockets and the hydration pouch. Really, this is not a huge problem, but if you are organizationally-inclined (I'm not) it could be a problem (really, the sack-style organization appeals to some minimalist impulse of mine).

My only other recommendation is that if you're going to get a hydration bladder anyway, you may want to look into integrated hydration packs designed for this purpose-- it'll likely end up being cheaper than a pack and bladder separate. Camelbak of course makes some great models. I've also heard good things about hydration solutions from the north face.
Old 06-17-09, 09:24 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo_vt

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know my back will get sweaty - I sweat loads even without a backpack, but I just want the sweat to be able to evaporate, with my current backpack that I use when I am out and about walking / public transport I get a very sweaty back and it feels really hot. So I guess any of these "ventilation channels" will work.
Old 06-17-09, 09:50 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 433 Times in 298 Posts
I use a large version of the air pack, and sweat less with this than I do when I'm using a smaller backpack that doesn't fit as well. They come with space for a bladder, but you'd have to find your own rain cover.
Old 06-17-09, 10:15 AM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've used one of the Deuters, it does the job of keeping my back from sweating (I'd say it's 90% of not wearing a backpack, except at the 2 points at the bottom where it actually touches, but it's still a huge compliment to the pack). The disadvantage is mainly that it's so stiff it's hard to ride my road bike, and that it doesn't hold a lot of gear.

The Detours Sienna 30 looks extremely similar but I know it bends more. I cannot vouch for it, unfortunately though. And it comes in a much nicer looking blue, to. I'd prefer the 30 over the 40 as the 40 makes it taller and if you're down on a road bike the back of your head would hit the pack. Seemed to be the same capacity as the Deuter, but the whole pack is more flexible.
https://detours.us/product_info.php?p...=110&language=

If you want to carry a whole bunch of stuff Ergon makes packs that are much larger and probably a bit sweatier (because there's more and larger points of contact between the pack and your back, the price of more capacity) but still decent. The largest is the BC3 and it's supposedly waterproof:
https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/bc3

If you look through their site they make smaller versions as well.
Old 06-17-09, 11:01 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't need to carry much, just need room for my eaglecreek folder!

I need clothes (they are in the folder), water, maybe lunch, tools & tube, and other small things.

Thanks for the ideas
Old 06-17-09, 11:04 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More than 90% of my riding is done with a backpack. However, I can't recommend small ones, as I specifically got the largest I could find to help me carry cargo. Ebags is a good site for researching bags.
Old 06-17-09, 12:20 PM
Ruckin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kifaru x-ray that I can carry my monster
laptop, change of clothes and whatnot to-from work. I also use the pack when I am not on the
bike. In the warmer weather I tend to use a pannier (arkel commuter)