Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Magazines, is one better than the other.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 06:00 PM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I was wondering what peep's think about some of the different magazines that are out for mountain biking. I know that this is some what of a subjective question, but do any of the mag's below have on a consistent bases better and or more useful information then another, or are they just fluff with lots of adds, etc. I know that I have not listed all the magazines out there, and if you know of any that are not on the list that are worth reading via print, or digital, please list and tell us why you think it's a good magazine.

Bike
Dirt Rag
Mountain Bike/Bicycling
Mountain Bike Action
Mountain Flyer

Distilled Mountain Bike Magazine [Have not seeing printed version, only digital]
Transcend Magazine [Have not seeing printed version, only digital]

What you all think ?
Old 06-17-09, 06:58 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
before ebay shut down the magazine sub auctions I bought 2 years of mountain biking and bike for like 5 bucks each.. I'm not resubscribing ... bike is ok, but it has dumb articles.. mountain biking was just a big wad of ads ... I may try dirt rag or mtb action next time..

anyone know where all the cheap subscriptions went since ebay ran them off??
Old 06-17-09, 07:24 PM
9kBud
Baconator

Bikes: 1985 Peugeot PZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MBA has far better content than mountain biking
Old 06-17-09, 07:27 PM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like BIKE more than any other magazines that I see on the rack. They do have some articles that leave me wondering why the editor didn't ask for a rewrite but for my money the photography in BIKE is the best in the business. I buy some mags off the rack on occasion but I subscribe to BIKE and feel it's money well spent.
Old 06-17-09, 07:30 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I love MBA.
Old 06-17-09, 07:55 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like dirt rag best and bike 2nd. mba has the most eye candy.
Old 06-18-09, 10:41 AM
jroth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mba
Old 06-18-09, 10:48 AM
TechRydr
guacomole!

Bikes: Iron Horse Triumph 5.0, Motobecane 29'er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MBA - I get leftovers from my riding buds.
Old 06-18-09, 11:04 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Mountain Bike Action for all-'round; Decline for gravity.

Transcend is only an online presence as far as I'm aware of. I like Decline better and feel that Scott Hart is overall a better journalist than Fraser.
Old 06-18-09, 11:19 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dirt Rag
Bike

in that order.
Old 06-18-09, 11:59 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would have to second Doug's rec...except I'd go:
MBA: for tech geek (meat and potatoes)
I think sometimes they forget that there are riders that don't live on the west coast making 6 digits...as well as the fact that we don't all weigh 165lbs. Someone mentioned "eye candy". I agree...this is prob. why I like it best. I'm a geek about new stuff. I wanna know what's going to be available before it hits the market. I like "spy shots" of that trash-bag wrapped prototype that is being flogged on some private trail. (okay I've only seen that like 2x )

Decline: for gravity...I'd most likely gravitate more toward this mag if I had lift assist riding nearby.

BIKE: for lifestyle / embelished articles that focus more on "the writing style" than practical application. (fluff)

Dirt Rag: To me feels like a "Home Town MBA". They don't always get to test the latest stuff as often or as soon as MBA, but it feels a little more "blue collar" than the spoiled guys at MBA or the wannabe poets at BIKE.

My over all fav. is MBA, but Dirt Rag is a good strong 2nd.

Last edited by ed; 06-18-09 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 01:14 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I go with Bike just for the photography. I dont really like MBA because most of what they do is test bikes, and no matter what the bike is, it gets a good review and they ***** about little things that are extremely easy to fix/swap out like seats and stems. Also, Bike, MBA and Dirt Rag are the only ones that I've read. I didnt really like Dirt Rag for some reason. Both Bike and MBA seem to have issues with phrases that make no sense and poor grammar in most article (What I'm getting at is that their editors dont do that good of a job editing). MBA always does the exact same thing, so I went with bike to look at the pictures.
Old 06-18-09, 01:20 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ca7erham
. . . and poor grammar in most article . . .
All your bad grammar are belong to you . . . .
Old 06-18-09, 01:23 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, by no means am I saying that I have more better grammar, I'm just saying. . . You'd think in a publication that is being sold for profit, they'd at least take a bit more time to check it over.
Old 06-18-09, 07:15 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,813 Times in 1,664 Posts
When I first got into mountain biking/trail riding I picked up the first issue of Bike and thought it was great. I got a subscription for a few years and read every issue front to back. Eventually I just stopped riding and life, work and other hobbies took over, but now I am getting back into it so I figured I would check out the magazine selection. I just bought my first issue of Bike this past month and feel its alright, good photography but the articles leave something to be desired. I did like the MBA copy I got and would probably subscribe to it if I decide to subscribe to one. It seemed to have more info packed into it. I Also picked up a copy of Dirt Rag which needs more content.

One thing I can't get over is the price of the bikes being reviewed. Since 1995 or so it seems like they jumped quite a bit, also have more technology built into them. I still love my 1995 Stumpjumper, but those full suspension rigs put it to shame.
Old 06-18-09, 07:58 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yah...that's one of my big pissers too man. They said the avg. rider is pimpin a $2000 bike. What the crap evah! Not around poor ol' Kansas.
Old 06-19-09, 06:14 AM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am like you RJM, did a lot of riding back in the late 80's into the mid 90's and I am now getting back into it and all. I was taken back a bit by how the price of bikes have jumped in over the years. I also say that I like what I have seen done with MTB technology today, some very cool shizzel out now. days.

Ps.

Thanks for your input all on the mags...
Old 06-21-09, 11:53 AM
Magmol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of them. But**********?
If you get Jimmy Mac to run MBA like he ran RBA way back when then I vote for MBA. This all is hinged on getting Bernie da Bus Driver back on board also.
Old 06-21-09, 12:17 PM
TwinCam
omygodomygod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Bike Action is a crock of ****. rememebr when the nomad came out? good lord the hype machine was hummin that day. it was the only bike any of us would ever need! it's unbreakable! it climbs as well as it descends! it jumps! it downhills! omg go buy one. now. NOW.

i think it was 2005 or six buyers guide and it was the "year of the trailbike" in MBA. that issue was positivly nauseating;

"hey dick cunny, what is a trailbike?"

"glad you asked, a-hole. its a mass produced bike with a thick profit margin thats readily stocked in any big bikeshop. looks dope in your garage. you really NEED ONE to enjoy mountain biking."

"thanks for clearing that up. looks like i can't afford to mountain bike at all."

"happy trails, sucker!"

Decline is at least worth buying to throw on the coffee table or next to the toilet.

Dirt Rag is soooooper frooty but at least they have their heart in the right place. altho i have been annoyed about them preaching 29 and talking yang on 26 for the last few years. nothing against 29ers but its just a bigger wheel. get over it and ride. or write, as the case may be.
Old 06-21-09, 03:07 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-21-09, 03:30 PM
mykster
Have you seen my tractor?

Bikes: Kona Stinky and Stab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't care too much for MBA. I had a subscription to Bike and I really liked it. Alot of great articles. My favorite is Decline which reminds me I gotta renew.
Old 06-21-09, 03:52 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MBA does apparently have a bad rep for being shills and what-not, but they tend to have the most pics of bits and goodies so I get it sometimes, I just don't find the content all that helpful usually.
Old 06-21-09, 04:38 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It all depends what kind of biking you do. Different mags like to talk about different things.
Old 06-21-09, 09:29 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey WGG's back! How've you been? Been doing a lot of riding?