Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bus driver badly hurt in cyclist attack

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 07:10 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For some reason, I have my doubts regarding the sequence of events as described...

Home » News » Dunedin
By Allison Rudd on Sat, 20 Jun 2009
News: Dunedin

A cyclist boarded a bus in Dunedin and launched an unprovoked attack on the driver last night, leaving him with serious facial injuries.

The 53-year-old Citibus driver was treated at Dunedin Hospital for multiple bruises to his face, a cut lip and shock.

The incident happened about 6pm as the driver was in North Rd, Northeast Valley, on his usual route, Constable Rob Jones, of North Dunedin. said.

The bus, which was heading north, was stationary at the bus stop near Watts Rd when the cyclist, who was also heading north, passed by.

The cyclist said something to the driver which the driver did not catch, Const Jones said.

"The driver gave him a friendly wave and a toot. The cyclist then dropped his bike in front of the bus, climbed on board and accused the driver of cutting him off in George St.

"The driver said he did not know what the cyclist was talking about, but the cyclist attacked him, repeatedly punching him about the head and face for a couple of minutes."

The cyclist then left the bus, climbed back on his bike and cycled off.

He was described as a caucasian in his mid 30s, wearing a fluorescent yellow vest, light brown trousers and a blue and silver cycle helmet.

He was riding an old-style mountain bike.

There were no passengers on the bus.

Const Jones said North Dunedin police would like to hear from anyone who saw the incident or who knew who the cyclist was.

There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St, several kilometres away, he said.

"Even if he had, it is no reason for the cyclist to carry out a totally unprovoked assault on a guy just doing his rounds."
Old 06-20-09, 07:47 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOunds like a fred-commuter has had enough and kicked the bus drivers tail.
Old 06-20-09, 09:17 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
friendly . . . toot
Old 06-20-09, 10:19 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any driver, especially a professional one should know that horns are the worst method of communication because they provide no context.
Old 06-20-09, 11:04 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St, several kilometres away, he said.

"Even if he had, it is no reason for the cyclist to carry out a totally unprovoked assault on a guy just doing his rounds."
These statements tend to reinforce why the cyclist bashed the bus driver rather than calling the cops.
Old 06-21-09, 08:46 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
For some reason, I have my doubts regarding the sequence of events as described...
But of course the cyclist is never to blames, right? Here's hoping charges are levied against him and he's prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. Ass-clown vigilantes like this need to be stopped.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-21-09, 12:44 PM
MyWar

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St"

...and what, exactly, sort of evidence would "suggest" that the driver had cut off the cyclist?

..Just sayin'
Old 06-21-09, 01:07 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The driver gave him a friendly wave and a toot.
Yeah... Riiiiiiiight.
Old 06-21-09, 01:56 PM
jehan60188

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road rage from a fed-up cyclist?
you've got to have a thick skin when you're on a bike.
Old 06-21-09, 04:34 PM
Dahon.Steve

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The article did not say the bus driver did not cut him off so that's probably what happened. Too many bus drivers make you play leap frog with them for miles. Quite dangerous.

Still, I think the cyclist was wrong.
Old 06-21-09, 04:51 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I got passed by a bus who crossed the double yellow to do it while I was in the LH tire track preparing to make a left turn. I went to put my left arm out to signal my turn an the bus was RIGHT THERE beside me, passing me after crossing the double yellow. If it had happened a few seconds later, I would have made my left turn signal but I bet the bus would have still hit me as I made my turn. I have no doubt the bus driver would have claimed that the reason he had gone so far to the left is that I had cut right in front of him. He was behind me at a traffic light a block before. Knowing I was turning left at the next block, I maintained the LH tire track position. Ironically, there was plenty of room for the bus to pass me on the right. Why he crossed the double yellow to do it is beyond me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-21-09, 05:13 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The article did not say the bus driver did not cut him off so that's probably what happened. Too many bus drivers make you play leap frog with them for miles. Quite dangerous.
And the easiest solution to the problem is to not play. Seriously, either speed up or fall back.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-21-09, 11:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The article did not say the bus driver did not cut him off so that's probably what happened. Too many bus drivers make you play leap frog with them for miles. Quite dangerous. ...
Only if the bus driver or cyclist are passing unsafely. I and others here, have done the leap frog thing with buses when their average speed runs 15 - 25 mph. Just make sure you are passing on the left and signaling each lane change.

And as Dobber said, if you find it dangerous, change speed.
Old 06-21-09, 11:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by dobber
Ass-clown vigilantes like this need to be stopped.
To bad the cops do not stop the Ass-clown vigilante bus drivers BEFORE it reaches this point.
Old 06-22-09, 12:42 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
And the easiest solution to the problem is to not play. Seriously, either speed up or fall back.
What do you suggest for the annoying situation of, bus is faster so I let it go ahead(not trying to race him or anything) but every other block it Stops for a bus stop and I end up overtaking it anyway? (repeats)
Old 06-22-09, 04:54 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
To bad the cops do not stop the Ass-clown vigilante bus drivers BEFORE it reaches this point.
Who says the bus driver did anything wrong. Oddly enough, the cowardly cyclist is nowhere to be found, having attacked and fled.

Total *****.
Old 06-22-09, 09:16 AM
rwp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyWar
"There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St"

...and what, exactly, sort of evidence would "suggest" that the driver had cut off the cyclist?

..Just sayin'
If the cyclist had phoned the police to report the George Street incident - that would have been evidence that it had occurred. Still wouldn't justify the attach though.
Old 06-22-09, 09:27 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rwp
If the cyclist had phoned the police to report the George Street incident - that would have been evidence that it had occurred. Still wouldn't justify the attach though.
That would have required a modicum of intelligence and maturity, something evidently lacking in this situation.

Originally Posted by xenologer
What do you suggest for the annoying situation of, bus is faster so I let it go ahead(not trying to race him or anything) but every other block it Stops for a bus stop and I end up overtaking it anyway? (repeats)

So the cyclist and the bus (passengers) both have rights to the road. The cyclist demonstrates his rights by giving the driver a beat down. Guess running down cyclists is now justified.

Congratulations.
Old 06-25-09, 10:40 AM
geo8rge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I thought New Zealanders were all happy go lucky globe trekkers. Well excuse me.