Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Dressing for the occasion.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 07:32 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Firstly...I am in no way trying to be negative here.

I was riding the Mansion yesterday evening on the Crapper with a friend who hadn't ridden in a while. He did pretty well for being out of the game. We rode for about an hour and fifteen before he confessed that his legs were toast. We popped out of the woods on to a gravel connecting drive and stopped for a drink and a rest. As we sat there, I noticed a dude riding up out of the same section. He was riding a Fuel EX. I couldn't help but chuckle at the poor kid. He looked fairly young...but he was wearing freeride armor

If you knew the trail network that I was talking about...you'd probably laugh too. There is 1 fairly long (for KS) rocky downhill section, and a little smattering of techy sections. No drops. No ledges that could dump you off on some sticks to spear you.

I think sometimes people see a NWD video or pick up the latest issue of their fav. mag...and "just gotta have it." I'm guilty. I was riding a 5x5 and a FRHT on the same trail 1 and 2 years ago that I'm just dandy riding the silly rigid SS on now.

I still miss the XLT now and then...sitting and pedaling through the chop, the technology involved in a good dually design...I just wish I were in an area that would warrant a rig like that. I feel that I'm evolving into what I laughed at 2 years ago. No matter what...I'm not wearing those freakin' "man-panties".

Last edited by ed; 06-20-09 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-20-09, 09:46 AM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what are man-panties
Old 06-20-09, 10:18 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps the article of clothing that would hold Ed's manpon in place?
Old 06-20-09, 10:19 AM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lycra
Old 06-20-09, 10:24 AM
Magmol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tight riding shorts. There not actually spandex, but lycra mixes.
Those of us that are roadies and live where we can Mountain bike now wear what we have in our closets.
I wear my tighty blackies when I ride my trike.
Old 06-20-09, 10:25 AM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-20-09, 11:20 AM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No matter what...I'm not wearing those freakin' "man-panties". Famous last words? The clock starts now...

I've been sold on the benefits of a good short/chamois since before baggies were invented, let alone lined with them. Much of my mountain biking I wear the baggies with a liner, or a good lycra short plus an outer baggy shell just so if I crash my good lycra doesn't get trashed (which I've done before, if you're wearing good stuff that can get expensive). On a hot day, though, sometimes the baggies are a bit much.

Curious, what do you wear when it's really cold? No tights for you at all? Is it that you're not manly enough yet to handle the lycra?
Old 06-20-09, 02:30 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to wear lycra. I still wear padded lycra under my baggies. In the winter, I wear lycra, a base layer, winter military BDU's. If it's too cold for that, I add a layer between the base and BDU's.

I'm not insecure at all. Has nothing to do with being "manly" or not. You wanna do something manly...hop off the 27lb Super'B and hop on a 2000lb bull. It's like freukin' nutjobz out on the beach in a speedo. Same dadgum thing. It looks rediculous 'Specially on a dude my size

I'm not going to make fun of my riding buds that wear it. I like those guys and respect their decision. I may give 'em crap now and then, but all in all...I just like to ride with them no matter how tight the pants or how pink the bike.

I'm just sayin'...I'm not doing the "man panties".
Old 06-20-09, 03:13 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped caring about how other people look about, oh, 25 years ago. Live and let live. Also he could know some spots off trail where the "good stuff" is.
Old 06-20-09, 03:16 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ummm...yeah, I don't think that exists here.

Live and let wear man panties.
Old 06-20-09, 07:31 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's a BDU?
Old 06-20-09, 08:03 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Battle Dress Uniform

I usually get the winter (thick) army pants thingy's. Usually black or khaki. They have ties on the ankles to keep the cuffs in check...though I have a bash on my geared bike, so I don't need tight pant legs anyhoo.
Old 06-20-09, 10:06 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
Battle Dress Uniform

I usually get the winter (thick) army pants thingy's. Usually black or khaki. They have ties on the ankles to keep the cuffs in check...though I have a bash on my geared bike, so I don't need tight pant legs anyhoo.
In my neighborhood you'd get a lot more sh*t for wearing something dorky like that instead of a pair of tights...but the plains states can be weird.
Old 06-20-09, 10:12 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Lets see, they've been riding and racing bicycles for over a 100 years. I'd think somebody must have learned something about what's good to wear by now, and most road guys wear them. I haven't spent $150 on any MTB shorts, so I wear my road shorts under a pair of regular shorts as that's the most comfortable for me, but then again, I'm a FNG again after awhile off.
Old 06-20-09, 10:23 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear normal shorts.. cargo shorts or something worn out .. with my normal polyester boxers... seems to work fine for me. I've ridden 4 hour rides with no bike specific shorts without discomfort. I have a couple of pairs of baggies.. I used to wear then on the road bike before I put a mtb seat on there. I'll wear them on occasion, maybe they are too cheap, because after an hour the padding is just a big wet mass hanging off my backside.

Maybe I am weird.

If I am riding the road in the park where the roadies usually ride I may get a strange look or 2, but that's about it.

In the winter i do the underarmor thing though with some shorts on top.

Last edited by DirtPedalerB; 06-20-09 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 05:11 AM
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinfool
What's a BDU?
Battle Dress Uniform,

It's the military's old uniform.

Now they are getting replaced with the new Digital pattern of Camo, like the Mar-pat, ABU, and ACU
(Airman Battle Uniform) (Army Combat Uniform)

Since they're getting replaced, military surplus stores have them for cheap.
Old 06-21-09, 09:15 AM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikinfool
In my neighborhood you'd get a lot more sh*t for wearing something dorky like that instead of a pair of tights...but the plains states can be weird.
Hahaha...I guess it's a generational thing. Baggy khaki's are basically streetwear around here. They carry over to the MTB pretty well. I come from a skater background, (the birth of the Bones Brigade--to the approx the birth of X-Games) so that's prob. why my taste swings that way.
Old 06-21-09, 10:43 AM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
Battle Dress Uniform

I've not ridden in BDU pants, but I have run in them and I must say, they would probably be quite good from biking. Re-enforced knee's, plus a fairly light weight. Personally, I just wear jeans when the temp drops below 30 (I've got harry legs for isolation), but you're the 3rd person I've heard recommending BDU pants, so I might give that a try.
Old 06-21-09, 11:24 AM
pOrk
1GEAR

Bikes: 20" DBI, Trek 69er, Kona Caldera, 26" Goose DJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one of the only guys in my group who doesn't wear the tighty shorts, I can't stand them my junk just cant take it and I hate the sticky hot feeling on a warm humid summer day. I wear regular cargo shorts with boxers, and they don't slow me down any.
Old 06-21-09, 12:08 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
I'm with you there, but if it is really hot, I'll go with lycra.
Old 06-21-09, 12:20 PM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baggies and a pair of chamois under them is the way to got for me.. BDU's are nice for the cold days indeed..
Old 06-21-09, 04:29 PM
Servo888

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride road and mountain, and only have tight lycra shorts :-D . 22 years old, great ass, no complaints so far. Though If I ride with a buddy, I put on some light weight baggies over them.
Old 06-21-09, 05:57 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ed's "gear headmania" Train of thought has been parked on the "shorts" siding
Old 06-21-09, 08:32 PM
pOrk
1GEAR

Bikes: 20" DBI, Trek 69er, Kona Caldera, 26" Goose DJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Servo888
I ride road and mountain, and only have tight lycra shorts :-D . 22 years old, great ass, no complaints so far. Though If I ride with a buddy, I put on some light weight baggies over them.
You are bragging about how nice your own ass is? Now thats gay
Old 06-21-09, 08:45 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pOrk
You are bragging about how nice your own ass is? Now thats gay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.