Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Relationship of Cars and Fixed Gear bicycles

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Relationship of Cars and Fixed Gear bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 11:54 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On weekends, I shoot photos for some import tuner scene websites, Hondas mostly... I've also noticed the import guys jumping on the fixed gear bandwagon. They're starting to put bike racks, complete with bikes, on the roofs of their show cars, also riding around the pits at races on fixies. A couple months ago Super Street magazine had a whole page with pics of fixed gear bikes. It's definitely a trend right now, at least in So-Cal.
Old 06-25-09, 03:17 PM
tdot-miele

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my truck may be on the opposite spectrum from tuners...

Old 06-25-09, 03:32 PM
iansmash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an import car and i ride fixed now

my "tuned" car is purely for off-road enjoyment at tracks and other venues though
Old 06-26-09, 08:15 AM
octopus magic
Mmm cats

Bikes: Fuji Track Pro, Cinelli Strato Faster, Superb Sprint, Fuji Cross RC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My love of my life, my old '97 Eclipse GSX.

Apexi front mount, Greddy 13 row oil cooler, 6 bolt swap, JIC FLT A2's tuned by Road Race Engineering, Bride Zeta 3, Autopower rollbar, Ray's Gram Lights 57C, Sheppard Racing built transmission, big T28, DSMLink, a zillion Greddy gauges, Momo wheel, Apexi downpipe/exhaust, Zeitronix wideband, no AC, no cruise control, Greddy 660s, ported O2, SARD Fuel Pressure regulator, ACT2600 clutch... blah blah blah.... I probably forgot a few things somewhere.

I spent every penny I owned on this car and raced it in time trials with Corvettes of Massachusetts series at Limerock/NHMS.

It's sitting in my parents garage with two blown shocks and needs an EVO brake kit put on (the stock brakes suffer from heavy knockback unless you're changing rotors all the time) plus a front LSD (and maybe a good rear one) it to be competitive with STi's and EVOs as it would fry the tires at NHMS on the uphill.

Never dynoed it, have a very conservative estimate of around 350 HP.

.... And then I moved out of my parents house, the car got too unruly to drive on the street, and I couldn't honestly afford a tow vehicle (The car broke once at Limerock park and I had a 650 dollar tow bill).

Now I race bikes instead of cars because it's cheaper (somewhat) and I know I can always race cars, versus my prime in bicycles being right now.
Old 06-26-09, 08:59 AM
paktinat

Bikes: a few crappy ones.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdot-miele
I think my truck may be on the opposite spectrum from tuners...
That depends what you do with your 'tuner'
Old 06-26-09, 11:04 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Bikes, Music gear (Guitars, Synthesizers, and Tin Whistles, mxers, etc), and Photo gear are my obsessions.

Also guns and quality forged antique and modern combat swords.

All of the above are expensive obsessions, I can tell you!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-26-09, 11:17 AM
thedaemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a couple of Nissan 240sx's (one was turbo), a Datsun 510, and a few others. Now I'm married and bikes are way cheaper, better on the environment, better for your health, easier to fix, umm bikes are better in just about every way. They will be perfect when they get A/C
Old 06-26-09, 11:32 AM
eMwolB
Tri Fixed Road

Bikes: Litespeed, Kestrel, KHS, Pinarello, GT, Mustang, Giant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Certain hobbies fester certain personalities. FG bikes, in my opinion attract a "creative personality".
Creative people express themselves in different ways...some thru art, bikes, cars, etc...
I think there are more people on this site that have a relationship to PHOTOGRAPHY than there are to cars.
Old 06-26-09, 01:28 PM
Scout...
T.A.N.D.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was waiting for you to reply in here
Originally Posted by iansmash
i have an import car and i ride fixed now

my "tuned" car is purely for off-road enjoyment at tracks and other venues though
Old 06-26-09, 01:37 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine.

Old 06-26-09, 05:22 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by psirue
that's more of a west coast thing. asians with spikey hair and a bad hype-habit chillin' with their bros out in Cali, more often than not. but the white kids in the 'burbs will pick up on it as well. it's all just conspicuous consumerism and they've moved onto the next fad that they think will get them some teenpuss.

I think they jumped the shark with Fast and Furious 3.

Or when I found this: https://www.modenstudios.com/realricers.html
Old 06-26-09, 05:25 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
"Invest" means something like "give up in exchange for future advantage". There's no requirement for that future advantage to be in the form of monetary gain.

The return on investment is exactly what you guessed it is: cool points and social status or, as psirue concisely put it, "teenpuss".

$3K into your civic will get you very little admiration and teenpuss.
$3K in your bike will get lots more ooh's and ahh's, in addition to teenpuss.

Thus, greater return (ooh's, ahh's, teenpuss) on investment ($3K).

Looks like a lot of white guys invested in beer bongs and inner tubes.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1754748
Old 06-26-09, 07:03 PM
mrevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evo driver here, and fixed gear rider. I, too, have noticed a pattern. Mostly in the Honda and Subaru crowd though.
Old 06-26-09, 07:05 PM
mrevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the car:

the bike:
Old 06-26-09, 07:06 PM
mrevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some nice rides in here. Nice DSM, octopus
Old 06-26-09, 07:11 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrevo
Evo driver here, and fixed gear rider. I, too, have noticed a pattern. Mostly in the Honda and Subaru crowd though.
I own a 1989 honda accord that i don't really ever use, does that count?
Old 06-27-09, 07:32 AM
wokou
Pirates!

Bikes: KHS, Schwinn...+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love cars, I'm a Honda guy for life. I gave mine up due to the high rate of theft, my 89 CRX got stolen with my Rush Hour in the back!

I live in Chicago, and one of my best friends tunes Honda Challenge cars for a living. The rich ***** kids just jump on the bandwagon, this kid i know has pretty track bikes and just built up a crazy road bike too. He doesn't ride, they are like skateboards, or even better Nike shoes...Another is on a pricey Bianchi.....in sandals...wow. But we like to race, cars bikes, Orange Mocha Frappachinos, ect.

I got back into bikes a few years back because i was always breaking stuff on my CRX. I build my cars to drive! I drove the crap out of that car, when it broke there was my reliable track bike. The economy had a little to do with it too, I'm broke...ha ha. I don't wanna give Mayor Daley any more money. I will build up another car when the time is right tho, an EF9 Civic with a healthy single cam motor. I guess priority changes, no more Type R motors for me.

I'm also half Japanese, its a culture thing too i guess...
Old 06-27-09, 07:50 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What you are all talking about is nothing new. Back in the day, before Acuras, when a Honda Civic looked like this ....

We used to take old VW bugs and make them very fast and look like this ...

We had a lot more in common with the current fixed gear cycling subculture than the present day Honda/Nissan/Acura people of today. A lot more reverence for all things old-school, very purist, endless debates over aesthetics and whether or not certain modifications were iconoclastic - "I can't believe he's going to de-chrome and de-badge a 56 oval window" We had the same kind of objects of ridicule as aerospokes and risers and the same "cool" things that everyone copied.

Personally, I've found the two subcultures to be fascinatingly similar.

Last edited by MrCjolsen; 06-27-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-27-09, 04:01 PM
Scout...
T.A.N.D.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
needs lower.^
Old 06-27-09, 10:06 PM
ShogunMSB
The West Coast

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So cal? Trendys? NO WAY!?

To many fixies is just another hobby, or thing to have.
Old 06-28-09, 02:33 AM
atlascomplete
Avocado.

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Pista, 2009 Leader 721TR, 1980's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Evo is very very nice. Makes me wish I put NT03s on mine instead of FN01R-C. It also makes me wish I didn't sell it.
Old 06-28-09, 04:11 AM
Prefetch
n00b

Bikes: 1972 & 1973 Webco 10 speeds, 1992 Trek jazz latitude, 2006 Dynacraft verticle vfx3 (Wrecked Rear Suspension 08-08-09), Schwinn S-25, 09-10-09 Specialized P.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminiscing...

When I came across this thread I remembered I had a 92 hyundai parked a block and a half over under a huge old oak tree...ran great. good mileage. cheap maintenance. the city towed it off because I didn't drive it ever. I didn't know for months. It hardley ever rains here and I just forgot about it. Now the only thin I have to work on is working on my bikes. Working on my bikes and maybe learning how to play the drums.
Old 06-28-09, 06:40 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i miss my 337.

α
Old 06-28-09, 09:39 PM
tdot-miele

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano

i miss my 337.
nothing like those recaros holding you down through a corner while the 20V boosts up and you slap it in 6th huh?? I know i used to have one too
Old 06-28-09, 09:55 PM
Guvna
Not a dick.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any second now we'll have yall to thank for a Fast and Furious-esque movie with male models doing brakeless alleycat racing over a new rock soundtrack.
Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.