Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Identity Theft and Nasbar?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Identity Theft and Nasbar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 01:12 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'll petition Performance to honor Nashbar's 30% coupon. That should make Nashbar sing!
Old 07-03-09, 02:41 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am so glad that Nashbar has sucked for so many years that I wasn't caught up in any of this.
Old 07-03-09, 05:20 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 1,056 Posts
Funny, I got a email from Nashbar with a survey request. I have not ordered from them due to this issue and let them know that is the reason why.

Old 07-03-09, 06:25 AM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance and Nashbar are the same company. At least the onlne ordering end.
Old 07-03-09, 08:28 AM
baldsue
pedaler

Bikes: 2023 Brompton C Line Electric

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 5 months ago I would have considered a coupon a nice way to apologize. But then a second card was breached and I received a crappy pink cz ring and phone calls from places where fraud was committed with my card info.

Now I've found other vendors I really like and I will continue to give them my business. My LBS has also gotten a lot more of my business.

I'm done with Nashbar AND Performance. Unless of course they want to send me stuff that's expensive, for free, and not want any of my personal info in exchange for it.

Next week I'll be calling both places to ask them to remove any trace of me from their systems.
Old 07-03-09, 01:25 PM
Malthus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Nashbar wants to offer me free merchandize, I obviously would take it, but they'll never get another credit card number from me. The thing is, there are so many other (better) options out there. Why would anyone give them a second chance? Company loyalty only goes so far.
Old 07-03-09, 02:27 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Maybe they'll send us all a gift for our trouble...Can you guess what it will be?

A pink cubic-zirconium ring from China! Oh Boy!
Old 07-09-09, 04:47 PM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I received a letter in the mail today from Nashbar. Basically said what everyone here seems to know --- The attack was confirmed on May 18 but began in December 2008. The compromised website was shut down on March 3, they said.

I was on the Internet at 6:30 one morning when I got an auto-generated e-mail saying my credit card had just been used to pay for a music download. I called my bank's security group immediately and they stopped the card before any other charges were made. It was a pain to change my CC number on various website, but otherwise no big deal...

Nashbar is offering a 30% discount on any purchase before July 28, but I have to use my personal account number to get the discount. Too bad I just placed a $100+ order with Niagara this morning! With the 30% discount I might actually have saved a couple dollars, comparing Nashbar prices to Niagara's.

Last edited by jamesl; 07-09-09 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 06:17 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Nah - they'd have gouged you back with their shipping charges.
Old 07-09-09, 09:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Got my letter yesterday..........fraud on my credit card back in December.
I probably shouldn't be holding my breath waiting for my CZ ring to arrive.
Old 07-10-09, 07:23 AM
Lurker1999

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 3 cards compromised in the past few months. Two were credit cards which were caught early by each card's fraud department, the transactions reversed and new cards issued. Unfortunately I just noticed that a stored value Visa card was also compromised and that one wasn't caught so now I've got to start the dispute process for over $100 of bogus charges.

I hadn't shopped at Nashbar in over 6 months so I didn't put it all together until I started reading the coupon thread about fraud, then realized from my records I had used all of those cards at Nashbar.

Interestingly one additional card was not compromised (yet), but that one was an AmEx so perhaps that was processed using a different system.

Is Nashbar doing anything to make this right?
Old 07-10-09, 02:18 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

In a word: NO.

They knew about this since at least January. Did they warn anyone? NO. This is July. We have a 7 month gap before Nashbar warned some of us. I was ripped-off in March, I think, and not a word from them. The issuing bank caught it after I informed them a $1 test-shot appeared on my account. The next day the card was used for a slew of fraudulent charges. Bank called me.

It's a good idea to check daily on your credit-card usage. I did - or who knows what would have happened? The crook might have bought a small country.
Old 07-12-09, 12:50 PM
baldsue
pedaler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't received a phone call nor a letter yet. I'm on a Nashbar marketing campaign. I tell every cyclist I can about how Nashbar gave away two of my credit cards.
Old 07-12-09, 10:27 PM
fartingmonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh no call but I'm pretty sure I was a victim

I had some charges on my Chase card last month from iTunes and then somebody ordered 3 plane tickets. They were from Seattle - Chicago and Denver I believe. Chase fraud department took care of it.
Old 07-13-09, 01:24 AM
eddymerckx#1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep happened to me with my discover card ,they got music download & they sent me lotion
Old 07-13-09, 08:53 AM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my sour experience with Nashbar, I too was a victim!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...52#post8991352
Old 07-13-09, 02:42 PM
BrentDev

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, mid-80s Schwinn Prelude, Trek 760 commuter, Kestrel Talon SL Tri; Kestrel TSR 1.0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got call today. No offer of coupons, gift cards, etc etc.

Never ordering from them again. I think this is the third compromise for me....and now I have enough doubt to accuse them of all three. Luckily they called today before it looks like anything got rung up by the thief.

Old 07-14-09, 09:11 PM
Bob_in_Midland
No weenie bikes here!

Bikes: Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very happy that I came across this thread, as I was getting ready to place an order with them soon. I may still do so, but not before calling the credit card company and giving them a "heads up." Now, one may ask, "Why would you buy from them?" Valid question. Only because there are some items that I can get from them that I can't seem to find anywhere else (yet). I may widen my search.

This is too bad though. I've been buying stuff from Nashbar for some time now. I have always received very good customer service from them.

Bob
Old 07-14-09, 10:02 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Place orders with them by telephone. Tell them emphatically not to let the card-number be kept on their server. And that they will be held responsible for any errant activity.

Better still - find what you want elsewhere.
Old 07-15-09, 07:31 AM
gnirwin

Bikes: Specialized Sequioa Elite, kHS Eastwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Debit card was compromised in February, my American Express Corporate card was compromised in March and just last week I received two new Master Cards in the mail with a brief statement saying that my bank had been notified by a certain unnamed business that their customer credit card numbers were stolen. The only thing these three cards have in common is I made purchases at Nashbar with each of them late last year. I have yet to receive any phone call nor have I gotten a letter in the mail from Nashbar. I will not do any further business with them. This makes a good reason to support my local Bike Shops.
Old 07-16-09, 10:44 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
I've been seeing this and thinking it never would happen to me. Last month my wife got a call from American Express questioning some charges. AMX cancelled her card and sent a replacement. The last statement we received had charges AMX didn't catch -two airline tickets from Cairo to London. We called and AMX promptly credited our account.

My wife just called and said Nashbar said her card was part of this. That's how all the fradulant charges were made.
Old 07-16-09, 11:44 AM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are the letters going to people who have complained multiple times to Nashbar? Or are they sending them out in some random order?
Old 07-16-09, 05:53 PM
baldsue
pedaler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shmily_dana
Are the letters going to people who have complained multiple times to Nashbar? Or are they sending them out in some random order?
That's what I want to know. I've yet to be contacted by Nashbar.
Old 07-16-09, 06:02 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't remember how long it's been since I ordered from Nashbar. Yet I got the letter yesterday.
Old 07-17-09, 02:28 PM
GatorSMS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar is so Damn Rude!

I just realized I'd been hit by this fraud. Since the charges were small, I wouldn't have even realized they were there except I went on-line to search for another charge from another merchant and saw those strange charges on the statement from:

gglprofit.com
APL*MOBILEME
WWW.FEDGRANTUSA.COM

I called Nashbar (ironically I had just received an order from them a couple of hours earlier) and they were very unhelpful. They admitted the problem and gave me another number to call. When I asked what they were going to do about it, they said I should contact my credit card company. They've known about this problem for SEVEN MONTHS and not told anyone.

I had to pay for express shipping of a new credit card or be without the card that I have all my bills charged to for two weeks. I also have to go in and update about 20 billers. What a pain in the butt.

Contrast their behavior with that of REI when REI sent out the wrong dividend notices to a bunch of customers (the dividend notice was different than the address on the sales flier sent out with the dividend). They sent a letter apologizing, and included a $25 gift card, even though no customer lost any money as a result of the mix-up. I got my neighbors dividend notice, a friend of mine got my dividend notice.

I've been buying from Nashbar since back when it was Bike Warehouse. This is the first time I've gotten such rudeness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.