Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit by a car - what should I do?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 10:04 AM
jeffthemaximum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi friends,

I was hit by a car this morning. The driver was pulling out of a shopping center and hit my on my side. I am fine.

The bike took some damage to the paint. Also, the rear wheel was damaged beyond repair.

I filed a police report at the scene and I got all of the drivers information.

My question is... What should I do from here? Should I contact the driver's insurance first? Should I contact a lawyer? I am going to take the bike in the the shop the get an estimate on repairs.

It is a custom titanium road bike, Spectrum is the brand, hand made by Tom Kellogg.
Old 07-10-09, 10:47 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you have applicable insurance, go to them. They are working for you and will be helpful. THEY can then deal with getting the money out of the at-fault driver's insurance. If you go after the other guy's insurance, they may just laugh at you even if they know they owe the money. If your insurance company comes after them, well then it's a lawyer battle, and they'll probably just settle up.

Get an estimate from a bike shop on FULL restoration to prior condition, present it to your or their insurance. If you're talking to their insurance, see what their reaction is. If they cause any grief at all, lawyer time.

Don't assume that you have no injuries until it's been at least a week. Some injuries take a while to show up. Don't sign off on the insurance claim that you are all set medically until you're sure you are.
Old 07-10-09, 12:05 PM
chs4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ this.

/thread
Old 07-10-09, 01:01 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also photograph the damage to the bike and any visible injuries. Better to have pics, they could be useful in the reimbursement process.

Last edited by DX Rider; 07-10-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 02:20 PM
Skivvy9r

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go to the driver's insurance first. If you don't get the service you think you deserve, got to your insurance or directly to a lawyer, your choice. As far as your condition goes, hold off on making any final decisions. You don't know what your injuries are yet. Just because you feel okay now, doesn't mean you won't have problems tomorrow. Adrenalin's still working for you.
Old 07-10-09, 02:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
If your frame is bent in the slightest amount, demand a new bike.
If the frame is OK, charge them for a complete paint job, including the LBS dis-assembly and reassemble the bike and demand a new wheel.

Include your helmet in the estimate.

Include any clothing damaged in any way.

Not including even the small damages will cost you a fair settlement from his insurance.
Old 07-10-09, 03:17 PM
Blindrage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please go see a doctor as well. Like others have said there are issues that can crop up after some time. If you have nothing to back them up then you will have a hard time proving the damages in the long run.

Also, it might same you some grief.

I had a minor accident at work. I thought I had just bumped my wrist. After it did not get better I had a heck of a time getting workman's comp to pay for the surgery to fix things. Being under a Doctor's care from day one would have made things easier.
Old 07-10-09, 03:49 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blindrage
I had a minor accident at work. I thought I had just bumped my wrist. After it did not get better I had a heck of a time getting workman's comp to pay for the surgery to fix things. Being under a Doctor's care from day one would have made things easier.
The VA won't cover the continued treatment of any injury that occured while serving in the military if you can't provide them with copies of your military medical records which contain information about the injury. Nor will the government give you compensation for any resulting disability due to the injury.

The military doesn't keep the records for very long after you're discharged, so it's up to the individual service members to retain copies of their medical records.

When in doubt CYA.