Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 08:15 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My bad, after reviewing the history, I guess this was one of their "last ditch attempts"?

I mean I love my Voyageur (it's an awesome bike) but I just figured anything late 90's Schwinn would be a crap shoot.

I do think it's funny that someone is selling a bike for 700 dollars and can't put air in the rear tire, but that's why its called the "Wacky World of . . . ".
Old 07-09-09, 08:19 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,482 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Here is a poem some people need to memorize...
Read first line in my sig and repeat.

-Kurt

Old 07-09-09, 08:36 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Read first line in my sig and repeat.

-Kurt
Oh Kurt, you are closet Schwinn lover, you can't fool me!

"He doth protest too much!"

I'll take my Voyageur over the typical Paramount any day... but only because I don't know that the Paramount could take my 300+ pounds and not suffer for it. Well, that and I am cheap!

And I think if one wants to get picky, they could say that any manufacturer only got it completely right with their top of the line model. Although there might be a bigger difference between the Paramount and other Schwinns than other makers' top models and the rest of their line.

There are still many Schwinns below the Paramount that are worthy riders...

But, then again, we don't have to all agree.

... Darwin
Old 07-09-09, 09:23 AM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I'll take my Voyageur over the typical Paramount any day
Voyageur!

Of course, this shiny paramount has been relisted in the Chicago CL . . .

SCHWINN PARAMOUNT SLX SHIMANO WOLBER BIKE - $1500 (AuRoRa)
Reply to: sale-qg95b-1260459618@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-08, 8:12PM CDT

SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THIS BIKE THEN I DO BUT DON'T UNDERESTIMATE MY KNOWLEDGE AS I DO KNOW THIS BIKE IS WORTH ALOTTA MONEY AND MY PRICE IS A REASONABLE AND FAIR PRICE.

ANY QUESTIONS OR YOU NEED MORE PICTURES JUST ASK ME AND I WILL EMAIL THEM TO YOU.

THERE IS NO SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM.

YOU GOTTA COME GET IT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
limo104.jpg (97.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-10-09, 12:07 AM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Bikes: 1 Road Bike<-Won it =)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone want a "Rare Bike" that is a "Classic" for only 700$? Sound too good to be true? It's not, the sellers SISTER even said so!! Can it get more credible then that?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/1258960732.html
Old 07-10-09, 12:50 AM
johnknappcc

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProsecutedBiker
Does anyone want a "Rare Bike" that is a "Classic" for only 700$? Sound too good to be true? It's not, the sellers SISTER even said so!! Can it get more credible then that?

It's going to be "classic" once he racks himself on the top-tube with the angle of that saddle.
Old 07-10-09, 01:10 AM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ProsecutedBiker

" So what if i bought my bike for $700.00 online.
Its in awesome shape and I have only had it for 2 years.
This bike is a classic, my sister told me so.
I asked a local bike shop and they said it was worth about $900 now, since its rare!"

Is he trying to sell it or just bragging about it?
Old 07-10-09, 07:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,505 Posts
No, I think the text in that ad are proposed lines of what the buyer will say after buying it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-09, 09:42 AM
jtravis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/bik/1181440332.html
Title: "Vintage bike - $1000"
Entire Text of Ad: "Vintage bicycle for collector. $1000 OBO"
Wow, that thing better be made out of titanium with diamond ball bearings.
Old 07-10-09, 10:37 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm sick of seeing this guy posting his overpriced garage find:

"I have a Trek 600 Road Bikes, with an Aluminum Frame, it Has the expensive Modolo Brakes on it. needs tires and Hbar tape. asking $250.00 Come on over and score this Deal."

Closer look a the pic reveals it needs a FD as well. Bet he doesn't even know what it does.

I'd get it for $50 but he thinks it's some rare bejeweled "racer bike", and NO, IT IS NOT ALUMINUM you twit

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/1262530452.html

Last edited by thenomad; 07-10-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 12:43 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
Ok... sorry... just had to add this:

Just tuned up by me, a UBI (bikeschool .com) Certified Advanced Bike Tech (w/ 22 years exp. & 12k in tools) wheels quite true for steel, ~ runs & rides wonderful!

Finally while the likely original tires have sidewall cracks and one low spot in the front [from sitting, but tubes hold air fine!], I wouldn't worry too much about them and could also use a drive side cotter pin (though tightened and works just fine, replacement wouldn't be a bad idea due to brinelling) but again thats up to you if you want replacement and you'll have one swell bike!

So if this guy has 22 years experience and has $12,000.00 in tools (am I reading this right?) Don't you think he might have a spare cotter pin lying about and perhaps a cotter pin press? Hell, I have NO trained experience and I have a press. -----> bewildered!
I had a great back and forth with this guy, he really is stuck on his self. He kept saying how the plastic brakes were desirable and the bike was better than my Mens 1954 Sports with full chain case and dyno-hub, stainless rims. I had just changed out a cotter on a Raleigh the day before with the old Sheldon hammer tap and a pair of pliers method it took all of ten minutes to do (luckily not stuck)and I got a 1951 Indian Princess minus seat and chain guard for the job. he has no idea what the bikes are worth I told him $200 if he was lucky enough to find a fool. He said his tune up was worth $200 what is there to do? If you look you can see the indicator chain barrel is screwed all the way till there is no thread showing. I've never had to do that and I have five Sturmey hub bikes and worked on four others. I also learned from the Glenns book and Sheldons web site.
Old 07-10-09, 03:11 PM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Can you spell Sacrilege?

'72 Paramount Fixie conversion - $500 (Tulsa)

72 Paramount road racing bike with original components and manual. It is missing a few of the components, but they can be found elsewhere.
Bike was repainted and converted to a fixie. Orig components are Campy/Weineman combo. Frame is large size @ 64cm. I'm 6'3" and can just stand over the top tube.
This frame was handmade at waterford, I believe it's reynolds 753 tubing and it does have the chrome nurvex lug work.
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/bik/1263483926.html
Attached Images
fixie.jpg (20.2 KB, 50 views)
fixe c.jpg (18.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-10-09, 05:12 PM
Ronsonic 

bicycle univega shimano - $1000 (por tampa)

this is a nice bicy i have to sell bcs i need to buy a tv
this is all aluminum shimano perfet for race is ultra light the price for this bicy in store is $2000 dollars o more
i wanna selled 4 only $1000 or obo or trade for i nice lcd tv 42" inch or more. or iphod touch screen plus $400 dollars
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Maybe this is somebody spoofing. I don't know. Maybe crack is a bigger problem than I thought. Maybe some people are just stupid and delusional.
Old 07-10-09, 06:11 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts

This guy has some pair alright!!!

Black Rudge Vintage Men's 3 Speed English Cruiser Bike 52cm Raleigh - $1 (Greenpoint)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/1263761895.html

Reply to: sale-jz4tr-1263761895@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-10, 7:43PM EDT

I have a pair of matching his and hers English 3 speeds from the 60's made by Rudge Whitworth. They have Sturmy Archer and Raleigh components, Ross and Wright's leather saddles, internal gear hubs, and a lot of nice little details, especially the hands on the chain rings. They both have brand new tires and tubes, everything else is original. These bikes are gorgeous, classy, and all tuned up and ready to ride.

They are both 52cm frames, the men's bike has a 30.5" stand over height and would best fit someone 5'6"-5'10" and the woman's bike would fit someone 5'4"-5'10" tall.

I would like to sell the pair for $650 but I would take $350 each for them individually. If you are interested or have questions please email me or call 413-xxx-xxxx.

Here are a ton of pictures of both bikes: https://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Rudge%20Bike/

Old 07-10-09, 09:58 PM
johnknappcc

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesl
I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Old 07-10-09, 10:25 PM
Ronsonic 

Originally Posted by jamesl
Please tell me it wasn't drewed. Please.
Old 07-10-09, 10:39 PM
johnknappcc

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I giggled at this one:

Chartreuse 10-speed. Holla hipstas - $35 (little village)

Reply to: sale-kud4r-1263654228@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-10, 5:31PM CDT

Chartreuse (pronounced /ʃɑrˈtruːz/, English pronunciation: /ʃɑrˈtruːs/, or UK: /ʃɑrˈtrɜːz/;[1] French pronunciation: [ʃaʁtʁøz]) (the web color) is a color halfway between yellow and green that was named because of its resemblance to the green color of one of the French liqueurs called green chartreuse, introduced in 1764; whereas chartreuse (the traditional color) is a yellow color mixed with a small amount of green that was named because of its resemblance to the yellow color of one of the French liqueurs called yellow chartreuse, introduced in 1838.[2]

The web color chartreuse is the color precisely halfway between green and yellow, so it is 50% green and 50% yellow. It is one of the tertiary colors of the HSV color wheel.

This bike is a ten-speed. I think one of the tires is flat but maybe both are. I bought this building and it came replete with tenants. Once I put my new sneakers out the rear door of my unit. Then the sneakers disappeared. Once there was a gas leak in the building, and I crazily banged on my tenants' door, so the gas man could gain access. The tenant man came out, and wouldn't you know, he was wearing sneakers that were identical to the ones that had gone missing.
This fellow left this bike behind, and although it won't make up for my shoes, it'll help toward the healing process.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 07-11-09, 07:14 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

This one sounds really cool! "W" probably rides one of theses "bad boys" out at his ranch in Texas!

Sweet Ass Moutain Bike!!! - $50 (Ozone Park)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/1264308426.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-jzbnr-1264308426@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-11, 8:40AM EDT

Hey! This is a green Huffy, 10 speeds in great shape, no rust at all, new chain and the gears shift very smoothly. It's a smaller bike, 24" Wheels so it's great for NYC apartments.

Ring me at (917) xxx-xxxx

The pictures ain't necessary...it's has a girlie frame with a one-piece crankset and a red plastic seat
Old 07-11-09, 07:18 AM
cycleheimer

Bike still available, but I bought the ex-girlfriend

1974 Woman's Raliegh Sport - $250 (Fort Greene)

Reply to: sale-f2pmr-1264271466@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-11, 7:43AM EDT

Very Nice Vintage 1974 Raleigh Sports women’s bike. The official color is
Coffee but it is really like a sweet root beer in color. It has new tubes, tires and pedals and a brooks leather saddle. I have cleaned this beauty up and it is a sweet 3speed ride. It comes with the original pump for looks.

$250 comes with basket not shown

Kryptonite bike lock $50 Girl’s Helmet $20

Call me David at 917-xxx-xxxx or drop by the yard sale at

Also, a yard sale/ moving sale Saturday July 11, at 214 Carlton Ave between Willoughby and Dekalb in Fort Greene Brooklyn.

I also have cool Vintage Stuff, Roller Skates, ice buckets, bar items, ice buckets, glass wear,
ash trays. Two Blue McCoy Dog Bowls! A basket ball, Volley ball, sheep skin seat cover’s, air conditioner, large dog bed, dog hair clippers, people hair clipers cookie jars, air mattress, kitchen stuff, tripod, books and records, Polaroid Cameras. Tent, hand blown
glass, all sorts of cool stuff I have collected over the years. Table and chairs. Cheap TV, my ex girl friend really cheap too, need to find her a
new home
. New fly fishing jacket, and float tube! Guitars, remote control sail boat that works. All sorts of nice men’s and women clothes,

I have something for everyone so drop by thanks

David

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1264271466

• Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc.
Old 07-11-09, 05:43 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 106 Posts
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/1259458277.html
Crappy Old Trek - $3 (Milwaukee)
"Motivated Seller - ready to go!

This crappy old Trek has provided years of substandard entertainment, including drunken rides to the lakefront, and home from nearby bars for a rousing game of chess or beer pong. Owner aging, health deteriorating rapidly due to recent bouts with dengue fever and near-miss H1N1. Biking proving difficult.

Retails new for $800+, get this for under $5!"
Old 07-12-09, 07:43 AM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

I love the breathless copy: These GORGEOUS CHROME-PLATED double butted spokes are absolutely THE MOST STUNNING, EYE-POPPING spokes EVER MADE….!

When light strikes these DOUBLE-BUTTED spokes they seem to make your wheels come to life with a TREMENDOUS SPARKLE ….!
Old 07-12-09, 12:52 PM
Ronsonic 

Click to see his other auctions. They are worse.

What is it about ebay that brings this out in people.
Old 07-12-09, 01:29 PM
cycleheimer

Reposted by original owner about 3 times, and they were only asking $20.

ross women's compact frame road bike, ready to ride - $150 (purchase)

Reply to: sale-agtnm-1266118220@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-07-12, 1:40PM EDT

I bought this bike intending to trade with a friend, it didn't work out so I am looking to sell it as it is a little small for me. This bike was TUNED UP THREE WEEKS AGO at Danny's Cycles on central ave so it is in great condition to ride right away!

It is a 10 speed and I believe the frame is 17.5", suitable for a teen up to medium sized adult. I think it would fit someone under about 5'3" best. The handle bar and seat height are adjustable to accommodate a number of sizes.

I can meet buyers somewhere in lower westchester if necessary.

I'm not sure why the pictures are so fuzzy, if you'd like better quality images please email me.

Thanks!

PostingID: 1266118220
Old 07-12-09, 01:57 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the drivetrain from one of those, the rest got parted out and given away...

I think the frame is doing duty as a boat anchor this summer.
Old 07-12-09, 11:45 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 86 Posts
MIXTES: How much hotter can they get**********

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1247741446.html

70's Panasonic Bike: Mixte frame ***Price increased*** - $150 (Denver-South Broadway)

Reply to: sale-r2afz-1247741446@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 5:13PM MDT

I had to increase the price on this one, I found out that the bike once belonged to Britney Spears.
70's Panasonic Bike
The bike is in excellent condition. Ridden very little.
Mixte frame.
The bike is tuned and ready to ride
Shimano 600 derailleurs.
27" wheels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.