San Fran Routes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 07:53 AM
pldoyle

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Specilaized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Fran Routes

Hi there,
a question for road cyclists in San Francisco and the surrounding area. In October (first two weeks) myself and my wife (well, not quite yet not yet, but by then she will be) shall be taking our honeymoon in San Fran. We are both keen road racing cyclists from Ireland. Would you guys be able to suggest some cycling route ideas? I'm quite partial to long hilly routes. We will need to rent road bikes so if anyone knows of a company which rents, we'd love to hear about them. Also, if anyone knows of any companies which do tours in that area, I'm all ears.

We are happy to explore the countryside all around San Fran, so all suggestions are very welcomed.
thanks!
Peter

Last edited by pldoyle; 07-20-09 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-09, 08:31 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going to move this to NorCal for you, get more responses.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 07-20-09, 09:45 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ride over the Golden Gate Bridge, then do the Marin Headlands loop and/or climb Mt. Tam. There is a good bike route map of Marin here: https://www.marinbike.org/Map/Index.shtml
Old 07-20-09, 10:22 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your impending wedding and your smart choice of the SF area for a honeymoon.

There are so many good long hilly rides around there that it's hard to answer your question without bewildering you with choices. I think the thing to do is to organize a few Bike Forum rides when you guys get out here. No need for organized tours.

Why don't you let us know a month ahead of your arrival here. There's always rides going on. Let us know when and what kind of rides you like to do. No doubt there'll be willing guides and accomplices. I live South of SF, along the Pacific Ocean, and will be happy to lead one along the coastal hills for you.
Old 07-20-09, 11:34 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Congrats on your impending wedding and your smart choice of the SF area for a honeymoon.

There are so many good long hilly rides around there that it's hard to answer your question without bewildering you with choices. I think the thing to do is to organize a few Bike Forum rides when you guys get out here. No need for organized tours.

Why don't you let us know a month ahead of your arrival here. There's always rides going on. Let us know when and what kind of rides you like to do. No doubt there'll be willing guides and accomplices. I live South of SF, along the Pacific Ocean, and will be happy to lead one along the coastal hills for you.
Put together a tour of our own. Mt. Tam & Marin headlands, coast ride by HMB, Peninsula ride with the best local climbs, east bay hills ride.. Pretty endless variety around here.
Old 07-20-09, 12:02 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Put together a tour of our own. Mt. Tam & Marin headlands, coast ride by HMB, Peninsula ride with the best local climbs, east bay hills ride.. Pretty endless variety around here.
If they really like hills, we should have them do the local trio - Mt. Tam, Diablo & Hamilton!!!
Old 07-20-09, 03:35 PM
pldoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the responses!
If you are serious about going for a ride, then we are very interested in that, assuming we can rent some road bikes somewhere.

As for hills, I'll cycle up anything The steeper the better, if you ask me, but Laura might object to that!
Old 07-20-09, 03:45 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pldoyle
thank you for the responses!
If you are serious about going for a ride, then we are very interested in that, assuming we can rent some road bikes somewhere.

As for hills, I'll cycle up anything The steeper the better, if you ask me, but Laura might object to that!
I think Ramon needs to lead the Sierra/Quimby/Welch Creek ride. This is like a challenge to see if we can make steep un-enjoyable.
Old 07-20-09, 04:56 PM
jesseboston81
permanent noob

Bikes: Felt F65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, either go early or be very patient! I'm living out here for the summer and two weekends in a row now I've made the mistake of coming back across the bridge at about 2:30pm. At that time the tourists are out in full force, unexpectedly stopping on the (fairly narrow) bike area, videotaping while riding and not paying attention where they are going, and walking their bikes up the bridge or the areas leading up to the bridge. I understand that the view is very beautiful, but there are offset areas on the bridge where you can stop and enjoy it! (And to those who bike with a video camera: just buy a professional video! It will be much cheaper than the bill you get from running into someone!)

I love tourists, I really do--working here for the summer I'm really just a long-term tourist myself--but people who don't follow basic bicycle etiquette really get my goat. However, Marin is just SO BEAUTIFUL that I keep punishing myself by going across that dang bridge!

Edit: MapMyRide has also been great to see what some of the popular/common routes are.
Old 07-20-09, 06:26 PM
kyle16
Ooohh, shiny things!

Bikes: 2005 Raleigh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is some info on riding across the GG Bridge. Go across on the west side of the bridge whenever it is allowed. When the west side is open, it is only open for cyclists and no pedestrians. Makes riding across 1000 times easier.

Bicycle Access and Safety Guidelines for Bridge Sidewalks

Cyclists have toll-free access to the Bridge's sidewalks 24-hours a day. Cyclists MUST yield to pedestrians and remember to use caution in the areas of the towers as there is limited space to maneuver and sight distances are constrained. Electric bicycles may be ridden on the sidewalks; however they may not be used under power while on the sidewalk and must be pedaled.

March 8, 2009 - October 31, 2009 (Daylight Savings Time):
Weekdays
EAST sidewalk 5 am to 3:30 pm
WEST sidewalk 3:30 pm to 9 pm
EAST sidewalk 9 pm to 5 am via remotely controlled security gates located at both ends of the EAST sidewalk. Cyclists press the "buzzer" located near the closed security gate. After security staff locates the cyclist on a security camera, the gate is opened remotely. Cyclists repeat this procedure to get through the security gate at the other end.

Weekends and Holidays
WEST sidewalk 5 am to 9 pm
EAST sidewalk 9 pm to 5 am, using remotely controlled security gate system described above.

LINK to GG Bridge site.
Old 07-20-09, 10:12 PM
bigtruck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at

https://www.velogirls.com/resources/routes.php#north
https://www.baytrail.org/maps.html
https://bikemaster.home.att.net/routes/index.htm
https://bicycling.511.org/maps.htm

Excellent site for going from A to B in San Francisco if you want to avoid hills
https://amarpai.com/bikemap/bikemap.html
Old 07-23-09, 01:54 AM
F4UX3/2
death from your left

Bikes: scott CR1 rase rig, special__ed langster commuter masheen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We'll I don't know anywhere that rents "real" road bikes, but I'd be more than happy to take you from SF over the bridge and around the paradise loop, It's pretty scenic and for 55'ish miles it's a pretty mild ride with a few miles of hills, plus there are some really nice spots to take pictures along the way.

Just don't spend too much time riding, this city has a TON of really great places to check out and a lot of of culinary diversity, I personally would spend most of my time eating If I were only here for a vacation.
Old 07-23-09, 10:25 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F4UX3/2
We'll I don't know anywhere that rents "real" road bikes, but I'd be more than happy to take you from SF over the bridge and around the paradise loop, It's pretty scenic and for 55'ish miles it's a pretty mild ride with a few miles of hills, plus there are some really nice spots to take pictures along the way.

Just don't spend too much time riding, this city has a TON of really great places to check out and a lot of of culinary diversity, I personally would spend most of my time eating If I were only here for a vacation.
SF to the Paradise loop is a pretty flat ride. The OP asked for hilly. I would go for the Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam instead. You can do your eating after the bike ride.
Old 07-27-09, 03:03 AM
pldoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again, thank you for the suggestions and offers of guided cycles. We really hope we can make some of them happen.

As long as we can find bikes with drop bars, we'll be happy
I figure we'll bring our own pedals+shoes, just in case.

I've been re-thinking the request for epic hills... as a couple, it might make more sense for us to keep it on the leisure side. Sure we can still do some hills, but maybe not too epic.

The Paradise loop sounds interesting. 55miles is a fine distance for a leisure ride.

To be honest, we will cycle any route whether it is flat or hilly, we just wanna cycle!

Two questions...

1) are cycle helmets a legal requirement in your state?
2) typically, what are you wearing on your rides in October? We are Irish so we are used to the cold rain. Would we get away with and arm and knee warmers instead of full length garments?

The reason for those questions is that we need to try and keep the luggage down a bit.

Peter
Old 07-27-09, 09:25 AM
roguedog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check these guys out: https://www.bikeconcierge.com/

Karl's a good guy. He gave a presentation at a clinic I went to. Nice bikes.

Rent from him if you're in the area.

If you're in the wine country area try Calistoga Bike shop. They've got Cervelo for rent up there.

Happy wedding.. and I'm sure you won't regret it spend some of your honeymoon with these jokers. Isn't it romantic just you, your new bride and the BFers! LOL
Old 07-27-09, 09:39 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pldoyle
1) are cycle helmets a legal requirement in your state?
2) typically, what are you wearing on your rides in October? We are Irish so we are used to the cold rain. Would we get away with and arm and knee warmers instead of full length garments?
At least do the Marin Headlands loop on the way to the Paradise loop. The views from the headlands are fantastic and the hill is not hard.

Helmets are not required for adults in California (though they are very popular).

Late September through early October has the nicest weather of the year in San Francisco. The summer fog is gone and the winter rains have not started yet. Sunny 70F afternoons are typical. Mornings will be cooler (upper 50s).
Old 07-27-09, 12:13 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found okay looking road bikes (Marin - what else) at Blazing Saddles. not exactly tdf quality - but then, neither am I! We'll probably rent those this weekend.

If anyone can shepherd us through some modest climbs (how steep is Mt. Tam, anyway?) Sat, Aug 1st, feel free to PM
Old 07-27-09, 12:27 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mt. Tam is around 7 miles at a fairly constant 7% grade. Total elevation gain is 2500 feet. The elevation barely counts as a "mountain", but you do get a nice 360 degree view from the summit.
Old 07-27-09, 01:16 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sure the Paradise Loop with the Marin Headland loop thrown in. That's a must. If you're ambitious, thrown in Mt. Tom.

Then, I'd be happy to lead some version of this ride: https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...Backroads-Tour . Goes along the ocean, up into the redwood tress and through some farmland. Just under 5,000 ft of climbing. You'll need a car to get to the starting point, though.

Then, you should have someone lead a ride up Mt. Diablo, a local favorite. From SF, you could take BART, our local public transit to the starting point.
Old 09-03-10, 05:53 AM
pldoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anybody looking for closure on this? Nope? Oh, well here it is anyway...

We planned on renting some nice Fugi frames for a spin and even checked them out in the rental place, but then we went out and got drunk that night with a mate who lives in San Fran. It was a fun night, but the thoughts of griding up those hills in Marin County didn't really go with a hangover so we never got to rent them.

We did go for MTB in Lake Tahoe though

I really love your country. You guys are so lucky to live there.

Thanks for the tips.