Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hybrid to Road Bike Upgrade

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hybrid to Road Bike Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 07:04 AM
tenrec

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jwh
Check out the Trek Madone. It is a more relaxed frame and made in Wisconsin.
I was planning to spend up to maybe $1500, but my girlfriend is encouraging me to try the more expensive bikes, if only to see how they feel, so I think I will do that!
Old 07-21-09, 07:25 AM
cwiginton

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am another that thought the FX (specifically 7.3FX)would be the right bike for me after riding a mountain bike from my college days. I am now (a year and half later) actively looking at road bikes. Right now, I have it narrowed down to the Trek 2.1, Scott Speedster S30 and Felt Z70.
Old 07-21-09, 05:27 PM
tenrec

Originally Posted by cwiginton
I am another that thought the FX (specifically 7.3FX)would be the right bike for me after riding a mountain bike from my college days. I am now (a year and half later) actively looking at road bikes. Right now, I have it narrowed down to the Trek 2.1, Scott Speedster S30 and Felt Z70.
Here's a question: how do you go about riding and testing all the bikes you mentioned? Most retailers don't seem to have many, or any, bikes in stock in the large frame size that I require. For example, I rode a Trek 2.1 and wasn't impressed -- but it was way too small for me and I don't consider it a fair trial. Even if I can find stores that stock all the models that might interest me, much of the time they're going to have to order a bike for me to try, and they're not going to be very happy about that.
Old 07-21-09, 08:35 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tenrec
Here's a question: how do you go about riding and testing all the bikes you mentioned? Most retailers don't seem to have many, or any, bikes in stock in the large frame size that I require. For example, I rode a Trek 2.1 and wasn't impressed -- but it was way too small for me and I don't consider it a fair trial. Even if I can find stores that stock all the models that might interest me, much of the time they're going to have to order a bike for me to try, and they're not going to be very happy about that.
Where do you live?
Old 07-23-09, 07:58 PM
tenrec

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Where do you live?
New Jersey
Old 07-23-09, 09:39 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
New Jersey
Oh...sorry. If you were in Minnesota I could totally tell you where to find bikes in your size. :-(
Old 07-23-09, 11:04 PM
MxChino

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a used 7500fx 3 weeks ago to start riding. I upgraded to a new specialized allez sport this past weekend. I would never ride the hybrid again after riding the allez this past week.
Old 07-24-09, 06:56 AM
calves2997

Bikes: Litespeed Archon, Ultimate, Palmares, Blade. BMC Pro Machine. Trek 7.3 FX Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds as if the Giant Defy 3 is right up your alley. Short top tube and long steerer tube for an upright position. Good quality, stiff aluminum frame in your price range, but more expensive models are all carbon.
Old 07-24-09, 10:42 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was planning to spend up to maybe $1500, but my girlfriend is encouraging me to try the more expensive bikes, if only to see how they feel, so I think I will do that!
Lower end Madones (4.5 and 4.7) cost between $2K and $2,500 and have a very relaxed fit (especially when you use an upright stem) that is very comfortable. I have a 4.7 and the bike is light, fast and comfortable. Also, I agree with the poster that commented on how uncomfortable flat handlebars are compared with drop handlebars.

Get a road bike.
Old 07-24-09, 10:56 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A good article on diminishing returns for bikes.
https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/howmuch.shtml

I looked at the Felt Z70, but opted for a F75 for a slightly more aggressive bike without a triple chain ring.
https://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...es/09-z70.aspx

I would wait until your LBS has the exact size bike to test before you rule any of them out.
Old 07-24-09, 10:05 PM
tenrec

Originally Posted by gettingold
Lower end Madones (4.5 and 4.7) cost between $2K and $2,500 and have a very relaxed fit (especially when you use an upright stem) that is very comfortable. I have a 4.7 and the bike is light, fast and comfortable. Also, I agree with the poster that commented on how uncomfortable flat handlebars are compared with drop handlebars.

Get a road bike.
I'm definitely leaning towards the road bike, but I really want to test some in my size. I've only been able to try one (the Trek 1.5), and I wasn't terribly happy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of a selection at the LBS in my area -- they almost all carry Trek; some have one other brand, and some have none! And only one has had even one frame in my size, and they don't seem to be in any hurry to order something for me if I'm not going to guarantee that I'll buy it.