Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

fighting with pedestrians

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

fighting with pedestrians

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 09:06 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why all you guys are saying that the guy "kept coming after him." If you watch the video. After the first confrontation ends, we see this:

They're separated, and the physical interaction has ended. Even if the guy was still talking smack, the cyclist could have just ridden away. Instead, this happens:

The cyclist charges back towards the man and starts the SECOND physical fight. The cyclist clearly engaged again when he could have just ridden away. There was no indication that the guy was coming back at the cyclist.
Old 07-23-09, 09:23 AM
oneangrytoast
its that damned rap music

Bikes: Kilo TT, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Shogun 600 ~1983

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
via bikesnob: Put yourself in this particular Nü-Fred's MKS toe clips for a moment if you will.

classic.

also, ulocks are heavy as ****. dont hit people with them.

also, that dude could have been one bruce lee mother****er, u never know.

also, dude should have ridden away 100%.

also, i havent been in a real one on one fight since middle school. id rather argue, cuz im intelligent, and i will belittle you with my words, not my hands. fighting will get you put in jail, where you may or may not have to fight people who have nothing to lose or live for. u dont want to fight people like that, ever.

also, im 250lbs and around 6', so dont think im scared to fight. i grew up playing hockey. i just choose not to anymore.

could you just imagine if he HAD knocked that dude out or maybe even killed him, which im pretty sure isnt THAT far out of an idea.

way to go to jail for murder, bike dude. ::thumbs up::
Old 07-23-09, 09:37 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is hard to tell who is at fault.
I have knocked a few asshats off their bikes for cutting my off when I am walking and had the right of way. there is always an exchange of words but no one wants to press the matter beyond that.

If the bicyclist was in the wrong he is lucky he didn't get shot or stabbed by the pedestrian
If the pedestrian was in the wrong (jay walking) than he escalated the situation and probably should have gotten no more than a roll by pimp slap

Last edited by Retem; 07-23-09 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 09:58 AM
oneangrytoast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if he (old guy) had nothing to defend himself with or cause harm with, i just dont get how anybody could say "he had it coming" when it comes to getting hit with a god damned u lock. christ.

edited for grammatical reasons
Old 07-23-09, 10:01 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneangrytoast
if he (old guy) had nothing to defend himself with or cause harm with, i just dont get how anybody could say "he had it coming" when it comes to getting hit with a god damned u lock. christ.

edited for grammatical reasons
yeah on careful consideration I have edited my post to reflect what I would have done
Old 07-23-09, 10:25 AM
oneangrytoast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAHAHA slapping is so legit. it says "ill make you my *****" without all the swollen knuckles of punching.

respek.
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 AM
Southernwayfare
Ragin' Cajun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as an aside...I'm not sure if the cyclist was a messenger or not but I know that things get pretty tense on the NYC streets particularly for cyclist who spend a lot of time jockeying around with the crazy drivers. The messenger/cabbie thing is particularly out of hand. I used to spend a lot of time on my bike in Manhattan (but not as a messenger) and two stories stand out from that time...

1)I once came upon an altercation between a cabbie and a messenger. There was a lot of yelling back and forth then the messenger hopped on the hood of a yellow cab and kick in the front windshield. I didn't see what precipitated the altercation but DAMN that was intense.

2)(I didn’t see this one but my close friend was a witness) Two cyclists are in argument with a cabbie at an intersection. The cabbie gets out of his car after one of the cyclists pushes the cabbie through the window. As the cabbie approaches the cyclist who pushed him, the other cyclist reaches into the car, grabs the cabbies keys and throws them in the sewer drain at the curb and the two cyclists ride off.

Last edited by Southernwayfare; 07-23-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 10:35 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Southernwayfare
2)(I didn’t see this one but my close friend was a witness) Two cyclists are in argument with a cabbie at an intersection. The cabbie gets out of his car after one of the cyclists pushes the cabbie through the window. As the cabbie approaches the cyclist who pushed him, the other cyclist reaches into the car, grabs the cabbies keys and throws them in the sewer drain at the curb and the two cyclists ride off.
Damn! Probably more embarrassing than getting a ulock to the face. Poor dude, just like the messenger's bike is his livelihood, the cabbie's cab is his.
Old 07-23-09, 10:40 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a side note.... could this video be used as evidence to press charges against the cyclist? Wonder what this kid is thinking right now. A huge population of the cycling community is watching this video and judging his actions.....
Old 07-23-09, 10:45 AM
oneangrytoast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ehhhh, im no lawyer but im guessing a big ol' fat yes to that one.
Old 07-23-09, 10:54 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneangrytoast

also, that dude could have been one bruce lee mother****er, u never know.
because, as we know, all Asians know martial arts, right?
Old 07-23-09, 11:07 AM
synapsemusic
GORSH DAMNIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the point here that some people seem to missing is that the cyclist should not have gotten off his bike in the first place. I'm glad I just got back from an ethics class, in which we discussed preventative war. For a war to be just, it has to be (among other things) in response to a direct attack. Note that this eliminates the possibility of preventative war. The UN security council agrees with this and does not recognize and preventative war as just. Not only does there have to be an attack, but actions taken in response to this attack have to be proportional to the original attack. I'd love to go get my book and drop some more facts, but i find it unnecessary. So maybe the pedestrian verbally accosted the biker, or threw a bottle at him. Maybe he even did take a swing at him. This might justify the biker to throw back a quick "**** you" and then pedal off. I didn't see the pedestrian holding a U-lock, thus making the cyclists actions unnecessary. However, the proportionality here is meaningless when compared with the overall lesson here. It is obvious that the cyclist should have never gotten off his bicycle. Period. The only reasons I can see for getting off my bike and hitting someone IN THE HEAD with a u-lock are 1.) I saw them hit a woman 2.) I saw them hit a member of my family. That's about it. Somebody suggested that this had "happened to the biker before". Maybe so, but this makes his actions even less valid. In the same way US courts are not allowed to issue sentences designed to make an example of a criminal, persons are not allowed to engage in altercations simply based on the idea that they can revenge previous injustices.

If anyone objects to any points I've made, please let me know. I'd be happy to defend my position on any of this.
Old 07-23-09, 12:15 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by synapsemusic
I think the point here that some people seem to missing is that the cyclist should not have gotten off his bike in the first place. I'm glad I just got back from an ethics class, in which we discussed preventative war. Reiteration of a college professors slant on war and peace.
If anyone objects to any points I've made, please let me know. I'd be happy to defend my position on any of this.
Oh great another self righteous college kid rehashing what his books told him about war and peace.

First off the Useless Nations are just that useless how do you get humanitarian aid to people when the warlords are more willing to fight than the humanitarian force.

Second your right the cyclist shouldn't have gotten off his bike but an attitude of appeasement is what let the Nazis take over half of Europe. Get over your school learned facts do a little studying out side of the syllabus. Your professor is just propagating his view after all he more than likely co-authored the course literature.

Third go read "The Art Of War" if you want to understand war.

By all means continue living your life the way you want I will keep living mine to defend your right to live that way.
Old 07-23-09, 12:19 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by synapsemusic
persons are not allowed to engage in altercations simply based on the idea that they can avenge previous injustices.
wait isn't this a response to a "direct action"

Last edited by Retem; 07-23-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 12:35 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to tell why he got off the bike, whether he was grabbed, or tripped himself up- but the first thing he did was start walking away. The guy he was arguing with was only a couple feet away, so the cyclist couldn't mount his bike and ride away- that would leave him standing still with his back turned for a few seconds.

I don't have an issue with the u-lock. The old guy was the aggressor originally, and he should have been smart enough to back away when he saw the kid reaching for a weapon. The pictures above almost had me convinced that the kid started the second brawl- except those pictures are mid-motion- the kid hadn't taken more than a step away, and the old guy continued forward. Again, if the old man didn't want to get clubbed again, he shouldve backed away. If the cyclist had enough space, he could've ridden away.

You never know what someones abilities are, or what they're carrying, or if they'll just get lucky that day. Don't spare anyone an inch, and know when you're outmatched. F legality, this is common sense.

And all that crap about ethical war is hilarious. That kind of thinking comes from politicians that see you as a statistic- an acceptable loss. Applied to a streetfight, you're saying that you'd lose an eye just to be 'right'.

PS sorry I didn't make it to the ride last Saturday, Retem. Doing it again this Sat?

Last edited by Raiden; 07-23-09 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 12:36 PM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
Second your right the cyclist shouldn't have gotten off his bike but an attitude of appeasement is what let the Nazis take over half of Europe. Get over your school learned facts do a little studying out side of the syllabus. Your professor is just propagating his view after all he more than likely co-authored the course literature.
Damn, if only Churchill had owned a u lock.
Old 07-23-09, 12:37 PM
time bandit
ĦSenor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
roll by pimp slap
hahah, this is why i <3 retem
Old 07-23-09, 12:41 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
You never know what someones abilities are, or what they're carrying, or if they'll just get lucky that day. Don't spare anyone an inch, and know when you're outmatched. F legality, this is common sense.
that's right shoot those *******s in the guts let god judge em (sarcasm)
Old 07-23-09, 12:47 PM
machine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i kill pedestrians on the daily.
Old 07-23-09, 12:53 PM
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER

Bikes: Kilo TT custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man New Yorkers' is crazy.

This is totally off topic and I'll probably get flamed, but I've been drunk on the street yelling at people 10 feet away from me and never been in any kind of altercation. My roommate was at summerfest pushing strangers into other strangers yelling 'Yo D***suck' and no one said a thing. Interesting difference in mentality.

Last edited by Zachee; 07-23-09 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 01:31 PM
bluej7

Bikes: Nishiki olympic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ka_Jun
because, as we know, all Asians know martial arts, right?
woah man dont be racist we all know how the funny craigslist crackhead story went down.
Old 07-23-09, 01:42 PM
synapsemusic
GORSH DAMNIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Second your right the cyclist shouldn't have gotten off his bike

By all means continue living your life the way you want I will keep living mine to defend your right to live that way.

Thanks. And I will.

But out of curiosity, how are you defending my right to live "that way"? Also please explain that "that way" is.
Old 07-23-09, 01:47 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, anybody wanna see my Special Purpose?
Old 07-23-09, 01:51 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Art of War really wasn't that great. Everyone and their mom is like "I read the Art of War to help me get an edge in the competitive field of the Veterinary Service Industry", but I spend a couple days reading it on the crapper and was like "big whoop".

It's like 50 little poems saying:

"Know yourself and the enemy. If you only know yourself, you will lose half the time. If you only know the enemy, you will win half the time. If you know neither, you will always lose."

....uh, ok?
Old 07-23-09, 01:55 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was hoping the ped would stomp doosher's bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.