Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Fastback

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Schwinn Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Schwinn Fastback

Opinions? Anyone own one?
Old 07-24-09, 10:41 AM
intence

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're fine if you're getting a really good deal on one. I know someone who bought one from Performance when it was $699 - 20% or so for the Fastback Elite with Tiagra brifters, 105 RD, and heavy looking wheels. The stem was ridiculously heavy, but easy to change out.

I'd also check to see how the compact geometry fits you, and what other options are available.
Old 07-24-09, 12:05 PM
ptle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had a fastback sport. I liked it it was a nice fast entry level bike. It's good if you can get it cheap.
Old 07-24-09, 12:52 PM
kickflipjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to get a fastback sport for $250 on clearance at dick's sporting goods a few years back. +3,000 miles later I haven't had any problems except for the shifting getting a bit out of calibration. I would have liked to have a carbon fork tho.
Old 08-10-09, 12:29 AM
Sir-Loin

Bikes: Specialized forever....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking at this same bike. I see some at jensonusa.com for silly cheap, $379! I might be picking one up here soon. It looks solid and has decent components. I hope you can avoid paying full retail as they seem on sale everywhere!
Old 08-10-09, 05:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I'm not interested in this bike anymore. It does feel a bit "compact". I didn't measure it but even the "large" didn't feel quite right. I need a 58cm and it may have been smaller than that. All I know is that when I'm on a bike that's too small my left knee shows some discomfort. I'm just 5 11 3/4

I forget the shifter type but now I know I want the kind you can shift from the drops and the hoods, and no little button. I like the shifters of the Fuji Touring.

Another thing about shifters - some shop recently told me they only carry Tiagra or higher because everything else is too fragile.

But if I can get hands on an old but newest Schwinn Traveler - l'd probably be very happy. I found one 2 days ago but the seat post was stuck. The guy at the shop said he tried everything but it's not going anywhere. I can buy it for $200. with the hope of getting it up but that's kinda risky.
Old 08-10-09, 07:54 AM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Shifting without the button eh?

What you want it Tiagra or better. only shimano's 2200 and Sora have the "button."

I'm exactly the same 5' 11 3/4" as you are. Giant's compact geometry M/L sized frames fit me like they were made for me if that helps. Probably not since I don't know how your legs/torso compare to mine.
Old 08-10-09, 09:52 AM
03FinestAL
I'm Melting.....

Bikes: Like everyone else, this changes from time to time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
But if I can get hands on an old but newest Schwinn Traveler - l'd probably be very happy. I found one 2 days ago but the seat post was stuck. The guy at the shop said he tried everything but it's not going anywhere. I can buy it for $200. with the hope of getting it up but that's kinda risky.
Cut the post just above the top of the tube then split it and "roll" it out. That is if you have the time and it is worth it to you...

eta- I have an '06 Fastback Comp that I use as a commuter. It has 10spd 105 brifters with 105/Ultegra ders (much better than the current crop of Fastbacks in the shops).

Last edited by 03FinestAL; 08-10-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 12:18 PM
rumrunn6

rugerben - what size giant frame do you have? I've seen Giants but haven't tried them, now I will. I go for a 58cm frame. I have a 34" inseam so in the world of old-school 10-speeds I like the 33" standover and 23" crank to top of vert tube.

03FinestAL i I like that idea. So you think I can do this even if they are "cold welded" together? everyone is discouraging me. but the bike is super sweet and wicked minty. it's even my size! the shop put new wheels on it and eveything!

By "rol it out" you mean like cut it with a hacksaw down to split it somewhat then grab a tab with vise grips and roll it to grab it?
Old 08-10-09, 01:51 PM
03FinestAL
I'm Melting.....

Bikes: Like everyone else, this changes from time to time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
03FinestAL i I like that idea. So you think I can do this even if they are "cold welded" together? everyone is discouraging me. but the bike is super sweet and wicked minty. it's even my size! the shop put new wheels on it and eveything!

By "rol it out" you mean like cut it with a hacksaw down to split it somewhat then grab a tab with vise grips and roll it to grab it?
Basically that is what I mean. I would first soak the seat tube/post area with something like a penetrating oil or kerosene and let it sit for a little while. Once you have done that split it down the center then use vise grips to get a good grip on one of the "tabs". Use something like a small bar or screwdriver between the handles (to get both hands on it), then twist like crazy. If you can't split it all the way down like that I would next get a narrow chisel and slowly tap straight down though the seat post until it is completely split open and then go back to work on twisting and pulling it out. Just takes a lot of patience. Don't be in a hurry and you will be most certainly rewarded!