Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how to not get lost

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

how to not get lost

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 04:45 PM
melon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to not get lost

i have a problem getting lost in the middle of nowhere, it happens fairly reguarly. id like a fancy GPS but alas im too poor for one of those doodads.

at the moment i plan my routes via google maps and write myself a cuesheet. i also have a road map i carry, but the map only has the names of the large roads and motorways; im riding on the small country roads.

my cuesheet becomes useless at a certain point, as the country roads often dont have name signs and its difficult to ever know if you are on course. my map is useful, but only when there is a landmark to orientate myself.

i could get an OS map with all the road names and more detail, but these things are huge, and the english countryside is a maze of small roads. still difficult to place myself. i might have to get an OS map and have it in a map holder until i can afford a garmin.

how do you guys deal with following routes youve never rideen before? what are the best methods?
Old 07-30-09, 04:48 PM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just simply don't get lost.
Old 07-30-09, 04:52 PM
melon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for taking the time to post
Old 07-30-09, 04:56 PM
camhabib

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would either find a really cheap GPS (you can get them for ~$100), a more detailed map, or just work on your memory. You don't have too many options to be honest.
Old 07-30-09, 05:01 PM
pabuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about buying the huge map and cutting it down into smaller tiles? Easier to manage and flip through, and easier to carry only the ones you need.
Old 07-30-09, 05:08 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's wrong with getting lost?

If you're really worreid about it, only do out-and-back courses, then just keep track of where you go so you can go back the way you came.

Lots of phone have GPS now, too...
Old 07-30-09, 05:12 PM
melon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the problem is that in order for me to remember the course i need to ride it first. getting lost is fine, but at some point i have to find my way home!

cutting the map down isnt a bad idea. i might go one further and scan the map in high res at my library, then i can print out as many copies as i like at any size.
Old 07-30-09, 05:16 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by melon
the problem is that in order for me to remember the course i need to ride it first. getting lost is fine, but at some point i have to find my way home!

That's not a problem, that's a solution. Ride until half your time is gone, then turn around. It always looks different on the way back anyways, so you won't be bored.

Yeah, the maps thing works too.
Old 07-30-09, 05:22 PM
jesseboston81
permanent noob

Bikes: Felt F65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have any kind of cycling computer? On your cue sheet, include distances and pay attention to your mileage. Country roads don't have intersections that frequently, so knowing how far it is to your next turn should help get you on the correct road.
Old 07-30-09, 05:23 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
bread crumbs?
Old 07-30-09, 05:24 PM
jasony0423

Bikes: Cannondale synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the cell phone thing. My blackberry has built in GPS.
Old 07-30-09, 05:26 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
cycle in a straight line. make no turns.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-30-09, 05:34 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a regular "automotive" GPS and figure out a way to mount it on your handlebars like this:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=552565

In fact, if you set the volume high enough you could probably just put it in your jersey pocket and follow the verbal commands. I've seen good basic units from Tomtom and Magellan for around $70 (online, may have been refurbed).
Old 07-30-09, 06:01 PM
mr handy
Living Notoriously Well

Bikes: 06 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally drive my rides once before I ride them... I have a knack for finding roads on maps that are either dirt/gravel or simply don't exist.

I always say "roads go moth ways" you can always turn arould.

that reminds me, when i get back home and riding, there are a few roads i need to ride that have some decent hills... at least for Fl.
Old 07-30-09, 06:01 PM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey melon,

what about driving the route a couple times in your car first? you can still take notes but I know it's a lot easier to remember where to go when you actually see landmarks and such at key points.

otherwise, save up for a garmin edge 205. that is their cheapest model and it has the bread crumb trail. no actual maps but it will help you.
Old 07-30-09, 06:04 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Can't you pretty much always tell when you're going north, south, east or west? As long as you can point to roughly where your house is, how lost can you truly be?
Old 07-30-09, 06:07 PM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-004...8998762&sr=8-1

just in case, here's a link to the 205 on Amazon for $179.
Old 07-30-09, 06:08 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you live in Nebraska or something? Are there no landmarks to navigate by? I live at the base of some mountains. As long as they don't move the mountains, I can find my way home.

Even in other places, I don't get lost. I think "sense of direction" is either something you have or something you don't.

Are there any radio towers, rivers or an ocean that you can use?
Old 07-30-09, 06:08 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got lost about a week ago, used my cellphone to call a friend who went on Google maps. They gave me directions from there.

I look at getting lost as a way to learn new routes. You pay attention to the landmarks more when you don't know where you are, so you are more likely to remember the roads and such for the next time.
Old 07-30-09, 06:11 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Just copy off the part of the map you'll need and take the copy with you.

Here in the Dallas area, there basically aren't any roads that are more than 100 years old. So things tend to be laid out in a somewhat orderly fashion. Meaning, it's a lot easier for some of us to avoid getting lost in the first place just because of where we live.
Old 07-30-09, 06:15 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can't get lost where I'm at. Everything is laid out in concession roads. Every 2km is a long long long road. Just a giant grid. As long as you know which way is north (it's hard to forget), you can't get lost.

If I'm heading into a town I'm unfamiliar with, I take a look at google earth maps (i can see landmarks like a park with the earth maps) and I'll draw out the map on a piece of paper. I dare not print it 'cause then I miss the names + it wastes ink. Just pencil + paper with every street name. Doesn't have to be to scale either.

works for me .

I'll get lost in durham forest (big mountain biking trail area), but I navigate using the pigeon method of "that way is north."
Old 07-30-09, 06:41 PM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAHA same thing here Zan. All the roads are laid out like a grid, and on top of that I've got everglades to the west and a big puddle called the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
Old 07-30-09, 06:55 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"english countryside" might have been a clue where the OP is. They don't have that everywhere you know.

Photocopy the high resolution Ordinance Survey maps. And bring a compass. If you learn basic orienteering skills you won't get lost as long as you have a map and compass.

I like to study some maps before I ride somewhere new. I memorize the roads and their relationship to each other, and any landmarks.
Old 07-30-09, 07:56 PM
melon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i live in the UK. unlike say america, where most of the roads/infrastruture are relitivly new and ordered, the roads here are old and all over the place. some of the roads i reguarly ride were built by the romans! alough they have ben repaved scince they are the straightest roads, everything else is built to fit when needed.

the closest things to landmarks are villages, pubs, and churhces. actually churches are normally the most useful for finding myself. other than that its just rolling hills fields and farms.

writing the distances down is somthing i havnt done. i might try that, however it does require quite alot of preparation.

i dont drive or have a car. im a cyclist!

i think im gonna get a compass and do the OS map+holder jive. if im still having problems i might cave in and get an iphone when my contract ends, at least then i essentially get a sat nav for free.

any other advice is welcome!
Old 07-30-09, 07:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Plan out-and-back routes. Even if you make a wrong turn, come back the way you came.

Also, do your cue sheets have mileage at every turn? I find that to be very helpful when following a new route, because unless I make a wrong turn or take a detour, the correct street to turn on is usually within 1/4 mile of what the sheet says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.