Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

does anyone NOT wear a helmet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

does anyone NOT wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 08:43 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Random thoughts:

People overestimate how dangerous cycling really is. In reality, falls and injuries from walking are about the same as cycling (really: look it up!) and yet no one thinks we should wear helmets when we walk!

People overestimate how much their helmet will or has protected them. They think it'll do them a lot of good in a car accident even though no bike helmet is designed to do so - they are only tested to withstand an impact similar to falling over on to the ground from bicycle height.

People underestimate how much their skull will protect them. They say, "my helmet saved my life," in some sort of minor solo bike crash, when probably they'd have been fine anyway.

Advocating/requiring helmets makes cycling seem more dangerous than it really is and decreases ridership numbers, especially amongst children since parents don't want their kids doing dangerous things. (example: it used to be normal for kids to bike to school, sans helmet, but now it's considered too dangerous for kids to bike on the roads. crazy). These children grow up to be adults who don't have cycling as a normal part of their life and so ridership numbers decrease.

When ridership numbers decrease, overall society suffers in health, healthcare costs, etc. So...it'd be better to allow the occasional head injury by forgetting about helmets but have all those extra people riding bikes and staying fit and increasing driver awareness of bikes (i.e. the more bikes on the road, the less likely they will be hit by cars because drivers get used to looking out for bikes)>
Old 07-30-09, 08:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 756 Times in 414 Posts
I wear a helmet occasionally, maybe about 10% of the 100,000+ km since I started recording. Had a few crashes, nothing serious. Sometimes I wear a cycling cap, and if it's cold a beanie.
Old 07-30-09, 08:48 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wearing a helmet makes my mom happy. it also makes me look like i'm more of a serious cyclist, rather than a punk kid riding down the block. i have no problem with heat. when i go to the library or store, i run the cable lock through the helmet - there's no excuse there. i mountain bike, so it's dumb to not wear one there on the trails. the visor keeps the sun outta my eyes.

i've never fallen off my road bike and smacked my head. i've never cracked a helmet mountain biking. law doesn't require me to wear one either. my helmet looks cool too, so why not wear it? they're relatively cheap and have many benefits

i agree with y'all how they don't offer much protection. in a serious crash my helmet will do jack. it's good for light smacks though (ride into a low branch, haha!).
Old 07-30-09, 08:53 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to wear a helmet most of the time, but after this one ride through the desert, now I wear it on every ride.

I hit the boulders, left temple first.
Old 07-30-09, 09:11 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It appears that the boulder won. Ouch.
Old 07-30-09, 09:20 PM
woodduck

Bikes: GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is no reason not to wear a helmet cycling.

you would have to be worried about how you look and that is about it. If you think they look ghey, big and ugly or you look like more of a tough guy without one, but thats the harley davidson image in the USA I think.

Only folks I see without a helmet are chumps on the way to work that look like they lost the DL for DUI or younger chaps on fixies as it seems the whole fixie fad is based on looks.

lets not confuse going cycling with riding <1 mile to get bread and milk ok.

If you think the helemt looks stupid and don't wear it, let me tell you, any serious road training bunch is looking at you as if you look stupid.
Old 07-30-09, 09:33 PM
SharpStone30888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Where I currently live, it is illegal to ride a bicycle without wearing a helmet.
Same here Machka. In Sydney I see every roadie with a helmet. All little kids have them, its those dam teenagers and people with target bikes that 'generally' are seen without one on. Though I don't see them going fast at all (unless its a mega downhill).

I always wear one, I average about 12mph but still wear one. Its common sense, duh? I guess not everyone in the world has at least an ounce of common sense.

Chris
Old 07-30-09, 09:41 PM
I Like Pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not a real cyclist unless you wrap your torso in bubble wrap and wear elbow and knee pads. One time I cut this guy off in a pickup truck and he shot me the head with a pistol, lucky I was wearing my trusty helmet.
Old 07-30-09, 09:50 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=coasting;9384457]what is the objection to wearing a helmet? it doesn't bother me ...QUOTE]

I don't object to your wearing a helmet. Carry on.
Old 07-30-09, 09:51 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have been wearing one ever since I bought my mtb 20 yrs ago. It has become an instinct. Used to wear the cheap $40 kind and then got the Atmos to help improve airflow.
Old 07-30-09, 09:55 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodduck
If you think the helemt looks stupid and don't wear it, let me tell you, any serious road training bunch is looking at you as if you look stupid.
+1 Agreed. Look at these two freds without helmets:
Attached Images
Old 07-30-09, 10:27 PM
woodduck

Bikes: GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pro cyclists look cool though don't they. Remeber Cipo and his long wavy mane.

most of the pro bunch are not the sharpest tools in the shed now are they?
Old 07-30-09, 10:44 PM
big john

Liked 9,448 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Random thoughts:

People overestimate how dangerous cycling really is. In reality, falls and injuries from walking are about the same as cycling (really: look it up!) and yet no one thinks we should wear helmets when we walk!

People overestimate how much their helmet will or has protected them. They think it'll do them a lot of good in a car accident even though no bike helmet is designed to do so - they are only tested to withstand an impact similar to falling over on to the ground from bicycle height.

People underestimate how much their skull will protect them. They say, "my helmet saved my life," in some sort of minor solo bike crash, when probably they'd have been fine anyway.

Advocating/requiring helmets makes cycling seem more dangerous than it really is and decreases ridership numbers, especially amongst children since parents don't want their kids doing dangerous things. (example: it used to be normal for kids to bike to school, sans helmet, but now it's considered too dangerous for kids to bike on the roads. crazy). These children grow up to be adults who don't have cycling as a normal part of their life and so ridership numbers decrease.

When ridership numbers decrease, overall society suffers in health, healthcare costs, etc. So...it'd be better to allow the occasional head injury by forgetting about helmets but have all those extra people riding bikes and staying fit and increasing driver awareness of bikes (i.e. the more bikes on the road, the less likely they will be hit by cars because drivers get used to looking out for bikes)>
I think people underestimate how dangerous cycling is, and it's probably the most dangerous activity most of us will ever engage in.
A helmet might not always save your life, but as someone who has had a concussion from bareheaded crashing, I wish I had been wearing one that day. I've had injuries from motorcycling and bicycling but there is something special about a head injury that will give you pause.
I've broken 2 bicycle helmets and was very glad to have been wearing them. Would I have survived without them? Probably, but I wouldn't have wanted to take the shots to the head.
I also took a blow from an airborne motorcycle on my m/c helmet which almost knocked me out.
I don't care if others wear them and I am against m/c helmet laws. I also don't buy the health care cost stuff about brain injured cyclists being a burden on society.
Conversely, I cant understand anyone against helmets in general or against forcing kids to wear them.
Also, as more millions of cars are on the roads it is more dangerous for us out there, not safer if there are more cyclists increasing driver "awareness".
Old 07-30-09, 11:17 PM
ImRael
A Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I used to wear a helmet most of the time, but after this one ride through the desert, now I wear it on every ride.

I hit the boulders, left temple first.
Uh...the gauze pad with all the blood is on right temporal region, no?
Old 07-30-09, 11:17 PM
jasony0423

Bikes: Cannondale synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I wear one.
Old 07-31-09, 12:38 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always wear one but feel that it is a matter of personal choice and should not be mandated by law, at least for adults. I also always wore one when motorcycling. I feel naked on any two wheeler without one.

Not too sure how much it adds to safety as pre helmets being made mandatory during races relatively few professional cyclists were killed in millions of man-miles of racing. One difference is though that roads are normally closed to non biking traffic during a race, at least in the modern era. The following link is to a list of cyclists competing in races who were killed for one reason or another, for those interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._during_a_race

Interesting to note that there have been more deaths since 2000 than in any other decade. Not sure if that is due to more races, current bikes or mandatory use of helmets. It could also be due to better data being available for the most recent period.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 07-31-09, 01:04 AM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trustnoone
+1 Agreed. Look at these two freds without helmets:
I think you can cut the pros a little slack. When you have rolling road closures and support vehicles & camera motos around you, the risk is far less than the avg cyclist. Even then, it's dumb not to wear a helmet.
Just because they are pros, doesn't make them smart.

I am bummed to see so many hipsters without helmets. It's cool to see the SS crowd growing but the "too cool for a lid" is just backwards.
Not wearing a helmet is selfish and expensive. It potentially wastes valuable emergency response, taxpayer money and insurance/medical resources.

What is really dumb are people in training rides without helmets. I saw one guy the other day at the Rose Bowl ride (someone who knows better) without... while the local news reporters are filming... and local authorities are taking info on how to better the cyclist/pedestrian problem.... HELLO, at least TRY to look responsible! Sorry, rant over.

Yes, I've noticed more non-helmeted riders lately. I don't know why that is happening. It might be the latest local stupidity trend?
Old 07-31-09, 03:50 AM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
I would agree with you ONLY if you could get the same adults to sign a release that says that if they have an accident they are not to be treated at all. They can be left on the side of the road as is. The reason I say this is because they cost millions a year to you and me in medical treatment and disability that could be avoided if they just wore the helmet. Insurance or not, it costs everybody, not to mention the human loss factor. See, the problem is that people think they would just rather die if they have the accident without the helmet, but the reality is they are more likely to end up as a veggie in complete medical dependance than they are to die on the spot. In the meantime, who is going to raise and love the child that you are so happy to obligate to wear the helmet?? You and I, that is who.
This is a red herring.

Latest NTSB study on Motorcycle Fatalities

I would direct your attention to pages 15 and 16 of the report that compares incapacitating injuries.

Helmeted riders have a 0.4% higher chance of incapacitating injury in single vehicle accidents (which I'd call statistically even) and a 2.01% higher chance of incapacitating injury in 2 vehicle accidents.

The internet is a wonderful thing.

Just a note, I always wear a helmet on the bicycle (ok, last month I carried the bike someplace and forgot my helmet, and I still rode) On my motorcycles, it has a lot to do with which of our 4 bikes I'm riding and what type of riding I'm doing.

Last edited by XTR; 07-31-09 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 05:50 AM
VuONG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i mean truthfully... if your on a 40 mph descent.. your helmet is far from going to save your life... dont be confused... road helmets are made for one time impacted. at 40 mphs im sure your head will hit the ground more then once.

i wear a helmet most of the time.

i dont for one second think that it will save my life when i craash at 40+ mphs
Old 07-31-09, 09:06 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
I would agree with you ONLY if you could get the same adults to sign a release that says that if they have an accident they are not to be treated at all. They can be left on the side of the road as is.
I never reply to these thread but this is the single stupidest thing I have read in a long time. Might as well leave anyone riding clipless on the side too since they choose to be "attached" to their bikes. Pedestrians and runners too since they don't wear any helmets or padding.

The reason I say this is because they cost millions a year to you and me in medical treatment and disability that could be avoided if they just wore the helmet.
Data to back this up?

See, the problem is that people think they would just rather die if they have the accident without the helmet, but the reality is they are more likely to end up as a veggie in complete medical dependance than they are to die on the spot
Data?

I don't care if others wear a helmet or not. I went 2 years as a messenger in Bostonwithout one and made it just fine. However, shortly after I did have a crash on my head (ironically I happened to wearing a helmet that day for no particular reason) and I've crashed on my head several times since. I don't think any of the crashes would ahve killed but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.
Old 07-31-09, 09:28 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think people underestimate how dangerous cycling is, and it's probably the most dangerous activity most of us will ever engage in.
I think you need to go look at the actual statistics. You'd see that what you think is simply incorrect! Statistics show that cycling is damn near as safe as walking!

When you look at statistics of injury rates per 1000 participants (a common comparison they do), you'll see all sorts of things that show that what we "think" is often wrong. For example, I bet you'd think skateboarding is more dangerous than basketball, huh? Not according to the statistics!

Last edited by pacificaslim; 07-31-09 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 09:31 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodduck
there is no reason not to wear a helmet cycling.
There are plenty of reasons: it's hotter (yes, even with the most expensive models with the best airflow), it's something you have to carry around when you reach your destination, it costs money, and even though they are getting lighter every year a helmet still feels weird on one's head, and i swear the air/wind noise i hear is much louder with my giro on than off (it somehow alters the wind flow and pushes the air right past my ear).

Last edited by pacificaslim; 07-31-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 09:40 AM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I wear one, unless it is drying after I run it through the washing machine.

Mark
Old 07-31-09, 09:58 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImRael
Uh...the gauze pad with all the blood is on right temporal region, no?
I took the photo of myself, with my cell phone closed. For some reason it always reverses the image when using the camera that way.
Old 07-31-09, 09:59 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny how this is the same argument almost word-for-word as on some of the streetbike forums I belong to.

The helmets vs the no helmets, that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.