Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

accident and clipless shoes.. im scared.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

accident and clipless shoes.. im scared.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 02:02 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Didn't we just cover this?
Sure, but not everybody (see what I did there?) agrees you are "correct."

It's just a little harmless hyperbole to say "everybody falls". Clearly it's not literally true. Almost no (see what I dd there?) categorical statements are literally, 100% true.

That's why they invented the phrase "you are the exception that proves the rule."

No rudeness intendended here, umd. I love ya, truly. Everybody (see what I did there?) has their little pet peeves. This appears to be yours.

As sure as the sun rises in the east (usually?) if somebody says "everybody falls in clipless" I can predict that you will always say "not me" or "not everybody."
Old 07-31-09, 02:57 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not "everyone" thinks it's hyperbole. Many people do feel that it is inevitable. In the real world, "nobody" that I ride with has fallen because they have forgotten to unclip. To act like it is so common that only a handful of people haven't is just ignorant. My pet peeve is incompentent morons thnking they speak for "everyone".
Old 07-31-09, 03:59 AM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Eventually clipping out becomes natural, and after you do it for 10 years you will get to look foolish when you ride an old bike with toe straps and you try to rotate your foot out, get tangled and fall over. Well, you might, I mean, it could happen.

It is all about muscle memory. Do it long enough and you don't think about it.
Old 07-31-09, 07:30 AM
VPR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
There are only 3 possibilities for this post:

1) you are a troll (my guess);

2) you are an abomination;

3) Brandy has changed her screen name, bike preference, and you ride in a bikini, in which case, ignore 1) and 2)
I dont quite understand, what is so negative about what I said? Its simply my opinion, you are the troll to post that,

if you disagree simply say so but dont start your bs as if you know me
Old 07-31-09, 07:50 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I guess you're in america so it's safer for you to unclip on the right hand side.
Not necessarily, I think it's best to pick what feels natural. I always lead off with my right foot, so that one stays clipped in.
Old 07-31-09, 08:42 AM
kgabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I guess you're in america so it's safer for you to unclip on the right hand side.
Actually, if you think about it, based on the criteria of an unexpected fall, it would probably be better to unclip on the left. Because an unexpected fall to your clipped in side would take you to the right, away from traffic.

Having said that, I think it's more important, as Beaker said above, to unclip the foot you're comfortable with, if you have a favorite. I actually use either one equally, depending on the situation and where and how I'm stopping.

Originally Posted by jwible
Practice track stands with regular shoes. You'll get better at slow speed bike control and maybe even be able to balance in place negating the need to unclip all together. And it will allow you to unclip at a near stop in a controlled manner.
That's the ultimate. I think a lot of people assume that when you come to a stop you have to unclip at the same time. So it's a race to make sure you're unclipped before you stop and if there's some kind of hang-up, then panic mode starts. But I just as frequently unclip after I come to a stop as before. Because stopping and unclipping are really two separate things and the more you can learn to do them independently, the less likely you'll ever have a problem. It certainly helps to be comfortable clipped in at a dead stop to keep panic mode at bay, which is half the battle. I know it's not uncommon for me to come to a stop, unclip, start to put my foot down, and then see the light turn green and clip back in and go without ever touching the road.
Old 07-31-09, 09:20 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Not "everyone" thinks it's hyperbole. Many people do feel that it is inevitable. In the real world, "nobody" that I ride with has fallen because they have forgotten to unclip. To act like it is so common that only a handful of people haven't is just ignorant. My pet peeve is incompentent morons thnking they speak for "everyone".
+1

When I switched to clipless pedals I was so paranoid about the clipless pedals because of all the people who claimed that "everyone" falls. But guess what? Just as I had never fallen in years of riding with straps, I never fell with clipless either. I think the "everyone falls" people should chill out a bit and accept the possibility that many people can handle clipless pedals without "forgetting" or failing to unclip on time. And then motivate people to do so instead of dooming them by making seem ok to fall.
Old 08-05-09, 06:23 AM
hurley1718

Bikes: Scott S60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my bike yesterday, and I fell. The worst part about was that it happened when I was putting my bike away. I was just practing some more with clipping and I couldn't get my right in and down I went in my yard. However I didn't fall when I was riding around my neighborhood, and I had to clip in and out a lot because of the stop signs.
Old 08-05-09, 07:58 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by VPR
I dont quite understand, what is so negative about what I said? Its simply my opinion, you are the troll to post that,

if you disagree simply say so but dont start your bs as if you know me
Ok, we can apparently rule out #1, since you seem to be serious that you actually have platform pedals on your Wilier, and ride it in sandals so you can stick your foot out.

And we can rule out #3 because Brandi would have posted a pic by now.

Thus, I'm sticking with #2. Its an abomination to take an expensive high end racing bike, and put platform pedals on it. The pedals are grossly inconsistent with the intended purpose of the bike, and are not suited for using the bike the way the bike was intended to be ridden.

If you want to ride a high end racing bike, get pedals designed to work with such a bike.

If you want to ride around in your sandals, with platform pedals, get a beach cruiser.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-05-09, 08:22 AM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's common for this to happen. I would practice stopping and unclipping. It will become natural. This is only an "issue" when the bike stops. You shouldn't need to unclip or accidentally unclip while riding. If you crash you'll unclip "naturally".
I think that little panick attack that happens when you come to a stop and are about to fall over should help you learn to unclip better. I know my wife had some issues at first and she was overly worried about the pedals and shoes. But after a few rides she's doing just fine.