Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh experts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh experts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 11:38 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh experts?

Do you know anything about a Raleigh Wyoming?
Old 03-04-07, 12:08 AM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,143 Times in 668 Posts
Built by Raleigh USA in 80's. Cudak888 will give you more before Sunday's over.
Old 03-04-07, 01:43 AM
Noah Scape
can't member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have one... well the frame anyway. As I recall, it is a lower-end touring bike. I haven't really looked at it in a long time and I can't remember a lot about it at the moment. I received it in a trade 20 years ago and still have the frame hanging in the rafters of my garage.
Old 03-04-07, 01:57 AM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1985 Raleigh Touring Models

1985 Raleigh Wyoming

It's the entry-level touring model in the mid-eighties Raleigh touring lineup.

For comparison:

1985 Raleigh Alyeska

1985 Raleigh Kodiak

1985 Raleigh Portage

Last edited by Blue Order; 03-04-07 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 01:46 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. From the descriptions, I noticed all of the bikes, except for the Wyoming, listed 555 chromoly tubing. There was no mention of tube type on the Wyoming, unless I missed it. Also, the components seemed a bit more high end on the other bikes. Is that about it?
Old 03-04-07, 02:01 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Thanks for the info. From the descriptions, I noticed all of the bikes, except for the Wyoming, listed 555 chromoly tubing. There was no mention of tube type on the Wyoming, unless I missed it. Also, the components seemed a bit more high end on the other bikes. Is that about it?
Yes, that's it exactly-- it's apparently not Raleigh 555 tubing, it has a lower level of components, and also, I think the Wyoming has only one water bottle braze-on.

The other three Raleighs are 555 Raleigh tubing, and are distinguished mostly by increasing level of component quality, as well as by extras included, such as racks. Also, the Portage appears to be the only model with 3 water bottle braze-ons.

All four Raleighs have the same geometry.
Old 03-04-07, 02:19 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BTW, I have a 1984 Bicycling magazine comparison of all the 1984 touring bikes. I'll take a look later and see if it says anything about the frame material for the Wyoming.

I'll post the details later.
Old 03-05-07, 05:48 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As promised, here are the results of Bicycling magazine's 1984 Guide to Loaded Touring Bicycles:

LINEUP:
According to both the 1984 Guide and the 1985 Raleigh catalog, the Wyoming is the entry-level bike in Raleigh's touring lineup, followed by the Alyeska, the Kodiak, and the Portage.

TUBING:
According to the 1984 guide, the Wyoming, Alyeska, and Kodiak are all double-butted CrMo in the three main tubes, whereas the Portage is double-butted (or taper gauge) in all tubes.

This is somewhat at odds with the 1985 specs, which indicate that the Alyeska, Kodiak, and Portage all use Raleigh 555 tubing (although there is no indication in the 1985 specs as to which models are 555 main tubes only.).

Also, the 1985 specs don't indicate what the Wyoming tubes are made of. This could mean they're hi-tensile steel, which would conflict with the 1984 Guide, or it could be an oversight in the Raleigh specs, which would seem unlikely.

GEOMETRY:
According to the 1984 Guide, the geometry of the Wyoming, Alyeska, and Kodiak are identical, while the geometry of the Portage differs slightly.

COMPONENTS and TRIM:
According to the 1984 Guide, the main differences between the Wyoming, Alyeska, Kodiak and the Portage are:

1) Different component groups for each higher level of bike in the Raleigh line-up;
2) Double crankset for the Wyoming, triple cranksets for the Alyeska, Kodiak, and Portage;
3) 1 water bottle braze-on for the Wyoming, 2 for the Alyeska and Kodiak, 3 for the Portage;
4) 40 spoke rear wheel for the Alyeska, Kodiak, and Portage;
5) Higher levels of trim (whether racks are included, etc.) at each higher level in the line-up;
6) 650B wheelset on the Portage.

Last edited by Blue Order; 03-06-07 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-05-07, 07:34 PM
OrangeOkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for taking the time to post that comprehensive comparison BO.
Old 08-03-09, 03:29 PM
Donkey Hodie
I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information Blue Order!