Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Riding & weight control

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 04:45 PM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got good results from using this BMR calculator. I used the Harris-Benedict Equation (see the "Resources" section on the webpage) to determine my caloric intake for the day. I used a postal scale to weigh my portions, and keep up with my daily totals on Excel. Good luck.

https://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Old 08-13-09, 07:27 PM
eshvanu
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to change my lifestyle, and my diet (diet as in eating a more healthful food mix, not as in eating only meat or other such silliness). The lifestyle change involved more exercise, including commuting on my bicycle and leaving the car in the garage most days. For the diet change I reduced salt intake, reduced fats, eat more complex carbs, better protein (such as boiled eggs rather than scrambled with butter), and cut out all soft drinks and most ice cream (I said most ).

Then, I went to the oldest and truest form of guaranteed weight loss - When calories in are less than calories burned weight loss occurs, unless one has a thyroid condition or other medical issue. My doctor approves of the changes, and I feel much better today than I have in many years.

Am I perfect? Hell no.
Am I losing weight? Yes, slowly and steadily.
Do I crave sweets? Sometimes the craving is so severe I have to do something else to take my mind off it.
Do I need a support group? Not yet, although I get a lot of inspiration and reduce the feeling of being alone in my struggles by coming here and reading success stories. If it comes down to support group or gaining weight back, support group it is!
Am I going to keep biking? Yes.
Old 08-14-09, 05:13 AM
cadimaki

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Montello, '86 Peugeot Competition 400, '94 Cannondale R500, '94 Scott Superamerican (dropbar & STI), '08 Cannondale Hooligan, '08 Dahon Speed D7, '09 Dahon Speed TR, '11 Surly LHT, '15 Brompton M3L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fasting once a week helps me a lot. I do 36 hour water fasts. I do eat a lighter meal with a lot of fibers lets say on a friday on 7 PM and then eat nothing but drink only water the next day. Then i do eat a light breakfast (like one fruit only - mostly melons) on sunday morning. The first 2 weeks or so might be a little hard but then the body gets used to it. The first weeks I tried to fast on days I'll spend at home so can take a nap when I feel tired. But with time you can live your normal life when fasting.

When following such a routine, you keep care on what you eat the next day of fasting and most of the time the previous day as well. So it makes 3 days of the week on which you don't overeat and that's almost half of the week. Fasting helps me to remember that there's a loong way between feeling hungry and starving to death. So I don't get crazy when I feel a little hungry other days too.

When not fasting, I eat like 5-6 times a day and 2 of them are relative bigger meals. I try to eat more fibers, more raw food and less diary. And I do write down every single thing I eat to a little notebook, with the times and amounts. And I record my weight on the same list everyday. So I can see clearly, when the food lines increase, so does my weight. I know it's an obvious fact, but still to experience it this way gives you better connections to understand the whole situation. Hope it helps.

I did this routine and lost 8 pounds in two months, which is ideal for me. If it goes like this, I will loose the 40 pounds -which I gained in the last 2 years- in one year. It is not that fast and in my opinion this speed of loosing weight is safer then loosing it fast and getting it back fast again.