Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Tektro Economy Track Brake

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Tektro Economy Track Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 12:01 AM
PoN

Bikes: 1979 Nishiki International, 1989 Dahon folder, 1999 Nishiki Backroads, 2009 Dawes SST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's the difference between the ends you see here... maybe should have kept the barrel style one on the cable, the one on the left, and cut off the other.

Old 08-18-09, 12:34 AM
jpl8910

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the cable supplied in the kit only has the ball at one end along with that barrel adjuster
Old 08-18-09, 12:42 AM
PoN

Bikes: 1979 Nishiki International, 1989 Dahon folder, 1999 Nishiki Backroads, 2009 Dawes SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say your all set then, it will work just fine.
Old 08-18-09, 05:11 AM
fredundead
Sidler

Bikes: flesheater, screampuff.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
Looks like you may have cut off the wrong end of the cable? Most cables come with two different ends, one looks like a ball and the other a cylinder, it apears you cut off the cylinder, as it appears that the ball end is sitting just outside the lever, its not supposed to be showing, the cylinder end would go into the hole and shouldn't be showing, I may be wrong.
typically there are different types of brake cables for MTB and road brakes. road and cross levers will accept the ball and the MTB levers accept the cylinder. i may be wrong. but i think im right.

they definitely make cables with one or the other on each end, but OPs is done right.(in the second pic)
Old 08-18-09, 05:12 AM
fredundead
Sidler

Bikes: flesheater, screampuff.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oops a little too late. i mean a lot too late.
Old 08-18-09, 06:12 AM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-18-09, 07:14 AM
allez
means go

Bikes: '06 Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to keep ragging on your brake....but the cable looks a little short. But if you don't have any problems turning, then tell me to shut my face.
Old 08-18-09, 07:16 AM
jpl8910

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shut yo' face
Old 08-18-09, 07:43 AM
drainyoo

Bikes: Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpl8910
shut yo' face
You need to relax man. Everyone is just trying to help you out here. The cable is backwards. Fix it.
Old 08-18-09, 07:49 AM
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER

Bikes: Kilo TT custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonjockey
this is the epitome of a bf thread. dont hate on this guy for how he sets up his brake since that is not the function it was designed for in the first place. its an inline brake lever designed to be used with road bike levers to give an additional position from which to brake on. it is commonly seen in cyclocross bikes, and some entry level road bikes (lower level felt z series for example). while i agree that it looks better set up the way it was last posted (corrected if you will), there is no "right" way to rig it by it self
ADSLKJALFK jesus christ, listen to this guy. It is an inline brake level it will not look perfect. Just buy two TT levers and stick them on the ends of your risers.
Old 08-18-09, 08:10 AM
jpl8910

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regret asking for advice. Thanks to the helpful people on here. My brake worked the first way and works the second or 'correct' way.
Old 08-18-09, 09:32 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jpl8910
I regret asking for advice. Thanks to the helpful people on here. My brake worked the first way and works the second or 'correct' way.
you take the good with the bad, if you can't your better off not asking. Heres the "proper" way of mounting them.

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 08-18-09 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 09:52 AM
jpl8910

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Does the ball on the end stick out?
Old 08-18-09, 10:15 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like you may have cut off the wrong end of the cable? Most cables come with two different ends, one looks like a ball and the other a cylinder, it apears you cut off the cylinder, as it appears that the ball end is sitting just outside the lever, its not supposed to be showing, the cylinder end would go into the hole and shouldn't be showing, I may be wrong.
I have them showing on 4 diff. sets of brakes, no problems so far, the levers aren't designed for use like this, but it works.

Supposed to just cut the sheath and run like this:

Old 08-18-09, 11:19 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He has it the right way. The end will always show on a cross top lever that is used by itself.
Old 08-18-09, 11:36 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by xB_Nutt
He has it the right way. The end will always show on a cross top lever that is used by itself.
Ahhhh, OK, I never mounted them that way and thought it would be like a reguler brake lever, Thanks!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-18-09, 11:44 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
That's a good brake lever. I use it myself.
+1 Two years later and still going strong.

Pic related.

P.S. Why the **** is there still a 100k limit on file size with attached files? Stupid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tektro.jpg (74.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-18-09, 12:13 PM
Hirohsima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP,

Based on how much silver is showing on your barrel adjuster, its all the way backed out. Generally speaking, you want it to be almost all the way threaded into the lever... so tha when you cable stretches, you can back out the barrel adjuster and take up the slack.

Also when its all the way backed out, it could screw up the few threads that are holding it onto your lever.

And to post here, you need a thicker skin. If you want touchy feely, I would recomend you look at a different subforum. For mech advice, I would go to the mechanics forum,.... they tend to have a bit less tone.
Old 08-18-09, 07:03 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As of now, you have the cable routed in the correct direction, but it's the wrong cable. You just need to find a cable with the right end. I found one at Performance, so it doesn't stick out at all on my crosstop lever.

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 08-19-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 12:39 AM
SteveFromNY
Don't steal bikes, bro!

Bikes: Scrambler V3 fixie build, Specialized Tricross Ultegra, Cevelo R3 Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where in NY are you? if you have both left and right levers and are interested, I'll trade with you for my Avid 7s.
BRAND NEW IN BOX. obviously not the actual lever, but they are new.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/168...evers-2009.htm