Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

C/o canal on a road bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

C/o canal on a road bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 10:44 AM
CGinOhio

Bikes: 2011 Co-Motion Nor'Wester, 2007 Co-Mo Speedster copilot tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alhanson
I will report on how the lower trail conditions are from Harpers Ferry to DC next week. Maybe between the two of us we can get a full late summer report on the conditions.
Please do report! We start from Pittsburgh (Boston actually) a week from Saturday, headed for DC. Fully loaded tandem with 700x35c tires. I really hope its dry, otherwise I'm afraid with our weight we may sink into the mud and never be heard from again.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/CGtour2009
Old 09-01-09, 10:57 AM
Mister C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend the GAP trail over C&O any day. I have done large sections of the GAP on 25s using two different bikes (touring and cross) and had no issues at all.

I have also done a few sections of C&O on 25s that had a little tread on them. They were ok for the 40 or so unloaded miles I rode that day but I wouldn't recommend them for that trail. I would say a 28mm is probably the minimum I would recommend with 32mm being even better.

I don't have recent data but usually the section leading up to Harper's Ferry (from DC) and around the Paw Paw tunnel are pretty rough. And if it rains you are totally screwed on 25s.
Old 09-01-09, 11:19 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Mister C
I recommend the GAP trail over C&O any day. I have done large sections of the GAP on 25s using two different bikes (touring and cross) and had no issues at all.

I have also done a few sections of C&O on 25s that had a little tread on them. They were ok for the 40 or so unloaded miles I rode that day but I wouldn't recommend them for that trail. I would say a 28mm is probably the minimum I would recommend with 32mm being even better.

I don't have recent data but usually the section leading up to Harper's Ferry (from DC) and around the Paw Paw tunnel are pretty rough. And if it rains you are totally screwed on 25s.
Your impressions match mine. The trail is rough from a few miles out of Cumberland to near Hancock. From Hancock to the bypass south of Williamsport struck me as pretty good. Conditions deteriorate then until you get about 20 miles from DC. Once you are in the 'tourist' stretch, the towpath has a generally well-groomed surface.

Riders may wish to utilize some alternates to the towpath. The Western Maryland Rail Trail from Pearee to near Ft. Frederick is paved and level, and at Williamsport you can take roads leading to Harper's Ferry or Shepardstown.

Old 09-01-09, 01:47 PM
andydreisch
Newbie but oldbie

Bikes: Trek 520, Lemond Victoire, Fisher Sugar 2, Cannondale tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGinOhio
We start from Pittsburgh (Boston actually) a week from Saturday...Fully loaded tandem with 700x35c tires. I really hope its dry, otherwise I'm afraid with our weight we may sink into the mud and never be heard from again.
My wife and I left from Georgetown to Harpers Ferry then up to Antietam in early July on a loaded tandem with 35c's. North of Seneca Falls the trail turned noticeably more difficult even though it hadn't rained for several days before we arrived (we lucked out!) though the week prior there was lots and lots of rain. Still, we bailed at White's Ferry and took the W&OD instead because of the 15-20 miles of total muck above Seneca Falls to White's Ferry simply wore me out. It made for some interesting riding. We fishtailed a whole bunch and nearly lost it once or twice. We had to walk through several patches of ooze.

It seems that from Georgetown to Seneca the trail drains better because it's mixed with crushed gravel and is more open to sunshine. Above Seneca the trail became clay-like and unable to drain. Plus, the tree coverage is much more pronounced.

The following day from Harpers Ferry to Antietam was great.

Overall, I'd think you'd have a real struggle with a loaded tandem on the C&O with rainfall a day or two prior or during your trip. I had multiple Plan Bs available just in case and ended up using one (the W&OD trail) even though we picked the very best time for the ride, weather-wise. You'd do well to plot alternative courses just in case.

One final note: the C&O Canal itself was truly awesome. We loved it, these issues notwithstanding. Have fun on your trip.

Andy
Old 09-01-09, 04:26 PM
martdwyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did cumberland to paw paw last week on a 34 cm cyclocross tire on cyclocross bike---I thought it was not enough tire--next time will use a 35 mountain or 38 urban tire-- the ruts and bumps were bad no mud just rocky terrain with losts of tree limbs going 14-15 mph and hitting one of these was no fun 25's would be impossible
Old 09-01-09, 06:34 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by martdwyer
I did cumberland to paw paw last week on a 34 cm cyclocross tire on cyclocross bike---I thought it was not enough tire--next time will use a 35 mountain or 38 urban tire-- the ruts and bumps were bad no mud just rocky terrain with losts of tree limbs going 14-15 mph and hitting one of these was no fun 25's would be impossible
That's where I am on this one. We ran it about a month ago on a bet from end to end in a day. I was on a carbon forked cross bike on aired down 32's, and by the 1/2 way point felt like I'd had the living snot beat out of me because we were all about covering ground. Could it be done on 25's? You could probably pick your way through, but I can't see making real time on the trail. The hybrid of her's should do fine.

Next time I take my cross bike up there I'll be on 35's or 38's.
Old 09-01-09, 08:13 PM
scorch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you guys convinced me. I guess im bailing on the c/o cnal and the road bike. I still would like to do a bicycle trip this labor day.. So i might ride the skyline drive.. but thats really difficult
Old 09-02-09, 04:48 PM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah but your roadie is more suited for that! besides skyline is an awesome ride
Old 09-07-09, 01:14 PM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lower section of the trail was dry as could be. some ruts and roots but not all that bad. North of Harpers ferry was nice. I was surprised to be sure. It wasn't bad at all. That being said I didn't go too far up. Around 15 miles according to the map (I don't do cyclo-computers) Again some ruts and dried puddle holes but nice as would be expected. Pleasant experience. I was on 28's around 80 psi. I lowered it for comfort.
Old 09-07-09, 01:33 PM
Neil_B

A brief tour report by a road bike rider on the Clydesdale/Athena Forum. His report on the trail echoes that of alhanson. The Historian-haters might want to avoid clicking on the link.....

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=582372