Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Kysmo electric

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Kysmo electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 05:03 PM
PattiJ39

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmo electric

Ebay has these Kysmo electric bikes listed. Does anyone know anything about them?

One lists at $800 ----KYSMO 350W ELECTRIC BICYCLE 36V/13AH LITHIUM BATTERY! BRAND NEW KYSMO FREE WHEEL ELECTRIC BICYCLE. Brushless 350W Motor 36V/13AH Lithium Battery 10lbs Front and back Wheels: 20" Battery Life 600 Times Charging time 3-5 Hours 20mph Range 30 miles Aluminum Frame Front Disk Brakes 6 Speeds Net Weight 55lbs KYSMO Free Wheel

And this one lists at $350
KYSMO 300W ELECTRIC BICYCLE 24V/12AH LEAD BATTERY! AVALABLE IN YELLOW AND SILVER COLORS!!!!!!!!!! BRAND NEW KYSMO FREE WHEEL ELECTRIC FOLDABLE BICYCLE. Brushless 300W Motor 24V/12AH Lead Battery 10lbs Front and back Wheels: 20" Battery Life 300 Times Charging time 3-5 Hours 20mph Range 20 miles Aluminum Frame Front Disk Brakes 6 Speeds Net Weight 55lbs KYSMO Free Wheel.

Thank You,

Pat
Old 05-15-08, 12:42 PM
irishflynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got one of these- so far it is great.
Old 09-02-09, 10:12 AM
cgattny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmo Electric Bike

Hi,

I saw your reply to the post re the Kysmo Bike. I currently bidding on a Kysmo I found on ebay. The seller says the bike lists for $799. Where did you purchase yours from? I am trying to get any information on the bike. Do you still have your Kismo? What kind of bike is it? Would you recommend the bike? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bike specs:
26" Mountain Bike Frame, Pedal Assist
36v 10ah Lith Battery
6 Speed
Charger
Old 09-02-09, 12:15 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doing a quick Google search, it looks like you can buy them online a lot cheaper than the asking price on ebay. The second link on a search for kysmo bikes gives you an online seller (buybuystore.com) who offers what appears to be a mountain bike for $550. These appear to be generic Chinese bikes. I think they'll be extremely heavy; the description on the one that appears to be a mountain bike says it has an iron frame. If you're in NYC, there's a Kysmo bike shop you might want to check out--it's in Chinatown at 35 Ludlow Street.

FYI, be careful about riding an electric bicycle in NY. At present, NY has a complete ban on riding electric bikes on public roads; it's only legal to ride them on private property. A bill to amend that ban has stalled in the New York Legislature. Check out this thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=408597

Good luck.
Old 09-02-09, 01:45 PM
cgattny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmos Bikes

Thank you so much for the information about this bike. I am not in NYC, so no worries about that. I did see the address for the kysmos bike shop downtown but there was no website.

I will check out the site you provide. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-09, 08:16 PM
bikebus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

I'm confused.....the NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicles website says that e-bikes are legal given the following:

must have pedals
no more than 20mph
no more than 750 watt motor
Old 09-09-09, 08:59 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know where you got your info, bikebus. Here's a relevant portion from NY's DMV FAQs section (hopefully more states don't emulate NY) and a link to the state's DMV webpage.

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles

You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

* Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.
* Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
* Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
* Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
* Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions
Old 09-13-09, 04:08 PM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are 2 kinds of Kysmo bikes floating around. One is the older steel frame model. Its a bit on the heavy side but well built. Delivery guys use those year round. Typicly for a 180pnd person you get 17miles at 17 mph. The new versions are now aluminium frames. About 350w. A newer motor and an all around upgrade.

The great thing about the kysmo brand is they come with a lock for the battery. Everything is in the battery box, controler and all. They are great in the wet weather. You should have no problem keeping them locked up outside year round. All that is required is wrapping a plastic bag over the throttle. Every thing else is water proof bar submersing the bike in water.

The older steel models sell for around 800$. The new model is just over 1000$

Considering the quality of the bike is around that of most entry level bikes at 300-400$ its not a bad deal at all. I own a 48v/1000w kit. My 20ah battery alone was 600$ with shipping for a lifpod(only battery worth a crud). The motor and gear was around 340$. Top speed is 32mph on flat ground and I typicly get around 28 miles at 20mph or 20ish miles at 30mph on a flat ride. Throw in the cost of my hybrid at 400$ and Im well up there in cost. The kysmo is a great deal for people under 220 pounds that dont want to break the 20mph barrier.

Best bike per $$ that is legal as in e-bike imo. My kit is not legal in any state because of the wattage.
Old 09-13-09, 04:14 PM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to note that the only kysmo bikes worth it are the 2 models I speak of. The lower models are rebrand crud. Bad brakes and horrible batteries.
Old 09-13-09, 04:40 PM
cgattny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey E-Biker:

I am a newbie.
How can you tell if the Kysmo model is one of the good ones. There is a Kysmo on Ebay right now.

Thanks, Curt
Old 09-13-09, 04:48 PM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The latest model is all aluminium. You wont see it for under 900$. The old models have 250-300w motors and steel frames. You can find the contact informatoin for the owners of buybuystore in NYC and talk to them personaly. They will explain the differences. Im pretty sure you cant even buy the older model atm.
Old 09-13-09, 04:54 PM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the new model. Its a very nice ride.

https://www.buybuystore.com/shopexd.asp?id=98

This is the new revision of the older model but its only 24v instead of 36. Iron frame is a giveaway. If your under 190$ you sould be find with this model but the new model is above and beyond this one with torq and poundage. Most of the rest of the bike is the same.
Old 09-13-09, 04:57 PM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can actualy recomend this brand highly. I know tons of delivery guys in NYC that use these year round. The battery pack is 300 to replace and lasts a year. They ride these every day rain or shine. Its a reliable machine and imo far more practicle and durable then any bionx kit for almost 2x the cost.
Old 09-13-09, 04:59 PM
cgattny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmo

Thanks, this one on ebay right now is at $405.00

Aluminum frame, 36 volts 13 AH lithium battery, etc

I contacted the seller--I would like to bid on this bike but he is not offering a warranty or a return.
Old 09-14-09, 06:35 AM
bikebus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

I was in error..the NYS DMV site reads exactly as you say it does.....if you go to this site,

https://www.iloveebikes.com/Distribut...regulation.pdf

you will see the this is a FEDERAL LAW which states that it supercedes NYS DMV law. Not that I want to get into a pi..ing match with a local cop over whose law is enforceable but this is where my info came from......
Old 09-14-09, 05:15 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bikebus,

Actually, the federal definition comes into play with respect to safety standards only. Low-powered electric bicycles (speed under 20MPH and motor under 750W) have their safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Administration rather than the National Highway Transportation Safety Board under the rationale that they're a consumer product, not a "motor vehicle." More powerful electric bicycles must meet the NHTSB's more stringent safety standards set for mopeds and motorcycles.

Congress has left it up to the individual states on how to regulate the operation of electric bicycles on public rights of way, including licensing. With respect to federally-funded pedestrian/bike trails and walkways, Congress issued a prohibition on their use unless a State has authorized such use by "electric bicycles". (See the permanent amendments to Section 217(h) of Title 23 of the United States effective upon enrollment of Public Law 105-178.)

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/sec217.htm
Old 09-14-09, 06:38 PM
GilSJ

Bikes: Electric Hybrid, Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased one and will update the forum when it arrives. My main concern is whether the lithium battery can easily be purchased and installed (into the battery case) when it gets weak.

Last edited by GilSJ; 09-14-09 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 07:16 AM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can contact Buybuystore directly in NYC via the phone. They sell replacement batteries for 300-350$ depending on the voltage. When the battery is no good you order a new one. When the unit arives its the entire unit. You get the new controler, battery ect.... A controlers life is about that of your average battery so its a good deal when you look at the cost. One great pluss to the system Kysmo uses is the battery unit is sealed.
Old 09-15-09, 07:17 AM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are not lifpod4 batteries btw. They are using the old lion tech. 300-500 full cycles. More if you dont drain the battery all the way down.
Old 09-15-09, 07:22 AM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC has a ban on all electric assisted bikes atm. The e-bikes fall under the same laws as a wheel chair with electric assist. What NYC has done is ban all electric vehicles with pedals. Its not enforced at all. Some screwball hit a 13 year old girl on the sidewalk at 15mph after drinking a ton of beer. This is what set the ban into affect. You have to check local and state laws for your own state. Chances are if you are a grown adult and drive it responsibly nobody is going to bother you. I rid through several towns with local bans on all electric scooters ect and I have never had a problem. My biggest problem is the police stopping me and asking me about the bike and how they can get one. Often they inquire because they want there department to upgrade to a pedelic asist system for there bike patrols.
Old 09-15-09, 10:11 AM
GilSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

"These are not lifpod4 batteries btw. They are using the old lion tech. 300-500 full cycles. More if you dont drain the battery all the way down".

JerseyEbiker - So can the case be opened up and lifpod4 batteries installed at a later date? Also, approximately how many average miles can I expect with the Kysmo on a full charge with the current battery? On my iZip Trailz, I get about 14 miles (with pedaling) on a full charge using one SLA (RMB) battery.
Old 09-15-09, 10:32 AM
GilSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmo Comparison

The Kysmo aluminum frame bike shown on the buybuy.com website does not have the front and rear disc brakes, whereas the one offered on ebay does. Otherwise, they are very identical in appearance/features altho the ebay model is selling for half the cost of buybuy.com.

https://www.buybuystore.com/shopexd.asp?id=98

I will have more details on this bike when it arrives via UPS.
Old 09-15-09, 03:39 PM
GilSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I telephoned buybuystore.com in New York (212-334-7104) to inquire about a Kysmo battery. The person I spoke to said it costs $350 for the battery. I asked for a shipping quote to California and he said he'd be right back. When he returned, he informed me that they were out of stock and didn't know when their next shipment would arrive. I don't understand why they sell Kysmo bikes online but not parts. I may have to order a 36V 10AH LIFEPO4 from eBay when the time comes for a replacement battery.
Old 09-17-09, 09:46 AM
GilSJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happened to the thread? Feedback, comments, anybody there?
Old 09-17-09, 02:56 PM
cgattny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kysmo

Bikebeast:

How is the bike? Is it meeting your expectations?

Let us know.

Curt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.