Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are your best one-liner come-backs?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are your best one-liner come-backs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 08:23 AM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Liked 618 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
I don't know about resent, but you seemed to think it was a pretty good comeback to point out that this driver was from another country, what with his accent and everything. The driver was obviously wrong, but your bus back to your country retort was pretty lame. The only way your zinger works is if there is something inherently wrong with being an immigrant. It's about as witty as noticing a dumb driver has a rainbow flag bumper sticker and telling him to take a bus back to the bathhouse.
How do you make the leap that I am saying that it's wrong to be an immigrant? I was pointing out my desire that he be deported, BECAUSE HE TOLD ME TO RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK! It was aimed AT ONE PERSON - the guy who told me to ride on the sidewalk, not the entire immigrant population.

And NO it's not like making a comment about a bumper sticker. It was a reaction to an action. Get it?

You (and others) are the one expanding my comment to all immigrants. And, oh BTW, I never actually said it - though I wish I did.

MM
Old 09-07-09, 11:17 AM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
How do you make the leap that I am saying that it's wrong to be an immigrant? I was pointing out my desire that he be deported, BECAUSE HE TOLD ME TO RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK! It was aimed AT ONE PERSON - the guy who told me to ride on the sidewalk, not the entire immigrant population.

And NO it's not like making a comment about a bumper sticker. It was a reaction to an action. Get it?

You (and others) are the one expanding my comment to all immigrants. And, oh BTW, I never actually said it - though I wish I did.

MM
Nice back pedaling. And it is like the bumper sticker as his accent tells you something about who he is, not something about his actions. I never said you were criticizing all immigrants, but the defining issue with your comeback is that the dude was an immigrant. You would have been better served by pointing out that he was a tool.
Others insisting that their parents were born here only reinforces the stupidity.
Old 09-07-09, 11:31 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And about 10,000 years ago her ancestors were immigrants.
But that doesn't make her one. That's where your logic is flawed. It's not stupidity. It's the fact that I, nor my parents, nor their parents immigrated, therefore we are not, nor have ever been inmmigrants. Websters may be a good place for you to start.
Old 09-07-09, 12:05 PM
Treespeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
But that doesn't make her one. That's where your logic is flawed. It's not stupidity. It's the fact that I, nor my parents, nor their parents immigrated, therefore we are not, nor have ever been inmmigrants. Websters may be a good place for you to start.
Well gosh that's great, what an accomplishment, being born and all. Maybe you should get a t-shirt made so everyone will know how special you are.
Old 09-07-09, 01:04 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well gosh that's great, what an accomplishment, being born and all. Maybe you should get a t-shirt made so everyone will know how special you are.
Maybe you should humbly admit that you're wrong rather than carrying on and removing all doubt.
Old 09-07-09, 01:58 PM
stomppow

Bikes: Trek 520, Specialized Enduro, 70's SS conversion town bike, 80's mtb internal hub internal drum brake winter bike, fixed karate monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go buy some gas!
Old 09-07-09, 06:05 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Liked 618 Times in 191 Posts
Nice back pedaling. And it is like the bumper sticker as his accent tells you something about who he is, not something about his actions. I never said you were criticizing all immigrants, but the defining issue with your comeback is that the dude was an immigrant. You would have been better served by pointing out that he was a tool.
Others insisting that their parents were born here only reinforces the stupidity.
You backpedaling, me not. Your point, however misguided, is that I must think "that there something something inherently wrong in being an immigrant". So,yes, you said that I was criticizing all immigrants.

I just would have like to gotten under the guy's skin like he got under mine. The fact that he is an immigrant (you're right, it was the accent that gave it away!), leads me to believe he might be sensitive to someone telling him to take a bus back to his country. I think that would have done the trick. But, if you read my original post, you'd know that I never caught up to him to deliver my deadly missile. So, I'm not the most mature adult when I'm on a bike, sue me

I think it was an awesome comeback and wish I had thought of it in time! I ride that route all the time and I'm just waitin' for him.

And, BTW, I don't like the stupidity comment. Think about what you're saying. You're adding values to my comments that are not there.

MM
Old 09-07-09, 06:49 PM
Ska1234

Bikes: Specialized allez triple '09, Vista 10 speed, Stolen Brat BMX 2006.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually like to make a funny face, at them, or say something nice, of flip them off.
It really depends on my mood, hell, maybe I feel like having some fun and will slip my shirt off and start rubbing my nipples while looking them straight in the eyes. It really all depends.
Old 09-07-09, 07:36 PM
Treespeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Maybe you should humbly admit that you're wrong rather than carrying on and removing all doubt.
No, I think you should tell us all how important it is that you're not an immigrant. You seem to think it's an important distinction to make.
Old 09-07-09, 07:41 PM
Treespeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
You backpedaling, me not. Your point, however misguided, is that I must think "that there something something inherently wrong in being an immigrant". So,yes, you said that I was criticizing all immigrants.

I just would have like to gotten under the guy's skin like he got under mine. The fact that he is an immigrant (you're right, it was the accent that gave it away!), leads me to believe he might be sensitive to someone telling him to take a bus back to his country. I think that would have done the trick. But, if you read my original post, you'd know that I never caught up to him to deliver my deadly missile. So, I'm not the most mature adult when I'm on a bike, sue me

I think it was an awesome comeback and wish I had thought of it in time! I ride that route all the time and I'm just waitin' for him.

And, BTW, I don't like the stupidity comment. Think about what you're saying. You're adding values to my comments that are not there.

MM
And there it is, what makes it so awesome to tell him to go back to his country? But hey knock yourself out the next time you see him. I'm sure he'll be suitably impressed that you figured him out.
Old 09-07-09, 07:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
Oh, enough already.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-09, 08:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by hshearer
What good come-backs do you know?
#3. Get the phone out of your rEar

#2. Take a nap (insert slur here based on something you see) i.e., Beemer Boy, Phone Boy, Fat Boy, Tattoo Boy, Skin Head, whatever - but keep it PERSONAL!

#1. My favorite, most used stopped in traffic:

I am so sorry I didn't recognize you! You must be the MF who owns this road!
Old 09-07-09, 08:28 PM
kaseri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just smile and tell them to f*ck off.
Old 09-07-09, 10:26 PM
abundantgandhi
Van City Roller

Bikes: Mid-eighties Miyata Six-Ten, Mid-eighties Norco Monterey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Montreal, so I get cursed out regularly in French. When this happens, I like to throw on my best terrible French accent (so they know I'm anglo) and yell something completely out of context in the native language (Moi asi! - me too!; Merci!) They leave even more frustrated than before. Now not only have they had to not hit a fellow human being, but not hit a dirty ANGLO!
Old 09-08-09, 07:52 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember a thread like this a little while ago on the commuter forum, and the one "comeback" that impressed me the most was someone suggesting the following:

Answer an insult by making eye contact, snapping your fingers and pointing at your crotch.

I've since adopted this into most interactions that call for it, and it gets plenty of laughs. So who ever you were, I didn't say so at the time, but thanks!
Old 09-08-09, 08:56 AM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thread, destined for the dustbin, has been saved! Thanks to all for dragging it back on topic.

Originally Posted by atbman
The one I'm proudest of:

Driver's passenger: "I hate bleepin' cyclists!"

Me: "Then stop [I]bleepin[I]them, mate, it's not obligatory"
Beautiful.

As for me, I never hear enough of it to do anything. Although I have plenty of traffic lights, I'm generally moving and/or being overtaken by traffic, so anything yelled is either 1) so far behind me that I can't tell if it's directed at me, much less what it says, or 2) perhaps somewhat near me, but the wind and traffic noise combine with whatever's being said to reduce it to unintelligibility. Even if I did hear something, I can't be bothered--I'm riding and have more important stuff on my mind.

Maybe sometime I'll get one of these "pull up next to you at a stoplight" deals.
Old 09-08-09, 09:35 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Stoplight (or when circumstances allow) - "Do us all a favor and read the Driver's Handbook for this state"

On the fly - They're usually well past me by the time I can respond. I'll sometimes give the "WTF?" gesture hoping they are looking in their rearview mirror.

Frankly, I've had precious few bad driver interactions, but it is nice to have an arsenal of comebacks, just in case.
Old 09-08-09, 10:40 AM
bizzz111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
I always go with "jerk store".
If that doesn't work you can escalate to the classic "Oh yeah??? Well, I slept with your wife!" line.
Old 09-08-09, 01:04 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only one I have is the time some kids passed me and the passenger screamed "Wanna race?!" They kept going of course, until I passed them after a couple blocks when they were stopped in the jammed up traffic. As I passed I said "I win" and went on my way. I heard the friends laughing at the guy that'd made the comment as I passed the miles of stopped cars.
Old 09-08-09, 01:30 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?"

In the heat of the moment though, not sure I could be sincere about loving my neighbor...
Old 09-08-09, 01:57 PM
Pinyon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I should say, is something like:

"It's been over 3 months since I've had to buy gasoline for my car".

Old 09-08-09, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,641 Times in 1,534 Posts
And then we should all simultaneously say, "HI PINYON!"

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-08-09, 02:12 PM
Deer Creek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
#1. My favorite, most used stopped in traffic:

I am so sorry I didn't recognize you! You must be the MF who owns this road!

We have a winner!
Old 09-08-09, 03:56 PM
sanitycheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UprightJoe
I don't remember who it was but somebody here used to yell "Jesus loves you!" whenever somebody gave them **** from a car. I thought that was a brilliant way to flummox somebody. How do you respond to that?
"He can't stand you!"
Old 09-08-09, 04:10 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No habla ingles!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.