Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tikit - upright riding position?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 08:05 PM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking to buy a Tikit soon, and I'm trying to figure out a way to get a more upright riding position (mainly for urban commuting, and to get the weight off my hands).

I'm about 6 foot with longish legs, so it would be the large Tikit with the seat raised up.

To get that upright position, seems like there are 2 things I could do:
- raise the handlebar, and/or
- bring the handlebar back towards the seat (less reach)

Talked to Bike Friday about raising the handlebars.
- They can be raised above the seat height, but...
- At this height, they can't be folded down without hitting the ground and tipping the folded bike.

Bringing the handlebars back:
- Use a shorter ahead-type stem?
- Swap in some handlebars that curve back? Would this interfere with the fold?

Anyone here mucked around with the Tikit handlebars like this?
Old 09-17-09, 08:29 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a large Tikit with 75mm stem.
Old 09-18-09, 12:42 AM
ChiapasFixed
Aging hipster

Bikes: Origami Swift, Surly Ogre, IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo cargo bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
how much higher that the seat do your bars need to be?
I am 6 feet tall, have a large tikit, and have the bars at the same height as the seat. I find this position puts very little weight on my hands, but of course, everyone is different.
You could use some curvy MTB bars or somesuch, but honestly, with your seat at that height, I dont see how you will be able to get the bars much higher that the seat without them hitting the ground when you fold the bike. You could just choose to live with that.
On the upside, this would only be an issue when leaving the bike unattended when folded (it would tip over to one side), but it would not interfere with you rolling the folded bike along.
Old 09-18-09, 04:47 AM
DFTR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'11" w/ 31" inseam. I tried a large and found it comfortable save for leaning forward too much that I felt my back would be sore w/ longer rides. When I asked BF, they suggested using a medium frame to reduce the handlebar reach to give me a more upright position-- aerodynamics be damned. If you can try it, perhaps it would work well for you?

Last edited by DFTR; 09-18-09 at 04:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-18-09, 05:57 AM
dmnobrien

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to BF, my measurements definitely put me on the large Tikit (a shade over 6 foot, 220 lbs).

My legs are longer than most 6 footers (a friend of mine who's my height could barely reach the pedals on my old touring bike), so the seat will be higher than usual.

There's definitely a max handlebar height before it interferes with the fold, so now I'm looking into how I can bring the handgrips back toward me. Perhaps a riser bar that's reaching backward instead of up?

I also assume that I can't get handlebars that come too far back (say, beyond the stem) without interfering with the handlebar fold.

I suppose the good news is that I can buy a Tikit (stock or BTO), then swap in a different handlebar or different stem pretty easily, because they're all standard parts.
Old 09-18-09, 07:11 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you should consider a different bike. IMO, most of Bike Friday's well deserved reputation comes from the fact that they are very good at fitting their folders for road/touring positions.

I know once I got used to "folder geometry" I found BF's offerings less appealing. Some people will tell you that folders have a compromised geometry, but I really don't think this is true; it's just different from the narrow range of parameters necessary on a bike constrained by wheel clearance.

I bet you wouldn't have any trouble getting a more upright riding position on a Brompton.

Last edited by chucky; 09-18-09 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 05:04 AM
dmnobrien

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I test-rode a Brompton, the seat didn't raise enough, so I'd be needing a extended or telescoping one (which are available).

However, even at the lower seat height I tried, the handlebars were still lower than the saddle, so I felt like I was not that upright.

The bike rode well (and folded brilliantly, as we all know), but I just felt it was made for smaller people.

My main attraction to the Tikit is the fact that they make it in 3 sizes, so the large is likely to be the best fit I'll find in a folding bike. I just may have to tinker with it to get exactly the position I want. BF should be able to help me there - they've been very helpful (and patient) so far.
Old 09-23-09, 12:32 PM
DogsBody
Resident Seaballer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things:
I have a Tikit that I won from MOMENTUM; and after several test rides found it fit just fine.
I am 6' tall, 170 lbs.
My build is a little wonky: I have long legs/arms, and a short torso.
This bike is for sale.
I have put about 50 kilometres on it.
It has the handy frame-mounted "carry bag"
I have added fenders, and a bottle cage.
It has also had the reinforcing bracket installed at the base of the seat-post...
PM me if interested; It is in very near-new condition.
It's red with black accents.
I have pics.