Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton 6ML Feedback

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton 6ML Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 01:58 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DFTR
Is this truly that easy to move the bike around folded w/ one hand?
Say you're wheeling it around to your table at a restaurant, can you just drop the seat post and you're neatly folded?

My concern regarding the Brompton from various posts on this board: it's not good for hills, has poor brakes, the rear wheel is very difficult to remove in case of a flat, has propietary parts which make repairs difficult in the U.S.

I'm not concerned about the less aero upright position of the Brompton as I would intentionally get the medium sized Tikit to provide the same fit. I also have looked at the gear ranges and the weight of the Brompton 6ML and it seems pretty close to the Tikit. Also I've heard that Brompton's brakes have been improved w/ their recent models? Alas there is no test ride available.

I am 5'11", 190lbs. I plan to mainly ride for local errands around 5-6 miles. Most of this riding will be along highways w/ a nice shoulder w/ 10-12% slopes so getting up the hills and having braking power will be key. Why do I want a silly folding bike? Because my previous bike was stolen and I want to keep the bike w/ me. The Tikit also didn't seem any more awkward than my previous bike. I want to also take a bike when I go on vacation by plane next year (Tucson, Chicago) to continue riding.

I know these type of posts come up often, but I really appreciate any advice I can get. I'm hoping to be persuaded that the Brompton is really great and can handle this kind of riding... or that the Tikit isn't such a pain to lug around in a store/subway?
I'm about 6'. After hurting my knee, I never found the Brompton comfortable for any meaningful distance due to its ergonomic limitations. The more you want to take the bike into stores, businesses, restaurants, subways, and so on, the more beneficial the Brompton.

You can get a tikit, Dahon, Downtube, and so on, into such a place a high percentage of the time -- I think over 90%, but I have not kept track with my Bike Friday and Downtube Mini (we sold our Brompton/Merc bikes). But if you want to minimize such hassle and the riding distances are on the short side** then a Brompton is a good bet.

Personally, I think that the Brompton's dual-pivot brakes are acceptable but not great.

Overall, the ride is considerably better with the 20" bikes. My experience with the tikit is fairly limited. But it rides better than a Brompton, IMO.

** Alternatively, it might be the case that the Brompton's fit is just right for you.
Old 09-17-09, 05:10 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bykerouac
You can fold the Brompton in around 10 seconds if you are used to it. It is quite easy to fold and far from being cumbersome and tiresome. If you plan to roll your Brompton a lot in its folded state, junk the original rollers and do the inline skate wheel modification. I use 100mm wheels and it rolls great even on rough sidewalks.

what is the screw size did u use to secure those inline skate wheels? is it 30 mm x 70 mm? did u use anything else beside the screw to secure it?

Last edited by vincentnyc; 09-17-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 02:14 AM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Okay, I was a little jackassy there. But then...

Much more than you think, and easily long enough to know exactly how long it takes to fold (and unfold) a Brompton. And long enough to know jackass ad hominem when I see it.

Look, it's one thing to tout the advantages of a bike over another: while it's quite another thing to make claims that are really only valid for power-users, if at all. It's sort of like watching linux boosters explain that it's "just as easy" to, say, unmount a firewire drive as on a Mac ("just do a sudo umount /mnt/dev on your device -- I can do that just as fast as a Mac user can drag his icon into the trash"). Right.

We have the same power-user claims here as well: the Brompton folds plenty fast. Dahons roll great while folded -- look at my video! The tikit can be used for shopping just as easily as a Brompton. There are plenty of advantages to these bikes: why can't we stick to stating established advantages?
A little jackassy? Try a lot. It's amazing how you continually bring out the Brompton's weaknesses and then tout the advantages of the Tikit. You did mention power user claims here - I believe you are the most guilty here. How about toning down your attack dog status and be friendly enough to participate in this forum? Especially in this thread, which OP started as a query on a Brompton model.

Anyway since you did say that you know exactly how to fold and unfold a Brompton, and you did find it tiresome and cumbersome, may I ask how long your experience is with a the said bike? Did a friend loan it to you for a week, or did you just go to an LBS and tried it out there? I have read your reports on the Tikit and I find them very well written, informative, and helpful more so that I have decided that my next bike would be a Tikit - I have always wanted one since David Lam showed me on at BFold in NYC. I am out of the country now so that will have to wait for now.

My whole point is, the Tikit is a great bike and you don't have to step on others in order to uplift it. Play nice bro.
Old 09-18-09, 02:17 AM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
what is the screw size did u use to secure those inline skate wheels? is it 30 mm x 70 mm? did u use anything else beside the screw to secure it?
Vince, I just took out the old ones then went to a hardware store and got some screws that had the same pitch and diameter, but longer by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Get the stainless steel variety, they are more durable.
Old 09-18-09, 03:54 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's amazing how you continually bring out the Brompton's weaknesses and then tout the advantages of the Tikit. You did mention power user claims here - I believe you are the most guilty here.
Examples?

And don't move the goalposts here: power-user claim examples.

I think my claims have been accurate, well-founded, and I've not pulled punches on the tikit.

Last edited by feijai; 09-18-09 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-18-09, 05:01 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Examples?

I think my claims have been accurate, well-founded, and I've not pulled punches on the tikit.
I have read your post on your Tikit findings. It most be said that it is honest, and objective.
Old 09-18-09, 06:52 PM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Examples?

And don't move the goalposts here: power-user claim examples.

Didn't you read my entire post? You are fond of singling out a statement which suits your argument and then concentrate on that. If you want an example, you don't have to look far, just see your post in this thread and read your condescending post.

You don't have to post that link, didn't I say that I find your reports well written, informative and helpful? I think they are great! But I also think that you lose credibility when you keep hitting the Brompton's weaknesses, and you do so with disdain. I am really confounded when you said that you implied that the Brompton's fold is tiresome and cumbersome. It is really easy when you get the hang of it! I must ask again, since you claim that you have extensive experience with a Brompton and report on its 'cumbersome' traits as if it were gospel, have you owned one? Did a friend loan you one so you can ride/experience it for at least a week? Or did you just go to an LBS and try it out?
Old 09-19-09, 02:28 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't you read my entire post? You are fond of singling out a statement which suits your argument and then concentrate on that.
I did read your whole post. You stated that I am the most guilty of "power user" claims. I'm asking you to provide a single example to back that up.
Old 09-19-09, 02:44 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hey lets calm down a bit... maybe...

here's the thing. Seems to me every folder is less than perfect. Tikit - the problem with the mod, and it getting in the way of the handle posted anon. Dahon : the recall issue, posted likewise. Brompton, the gearing, and the basic pay of Ł8 an hour for a brazer. And so on. I'm a fanatic, but maybe this points to an unpalatable truth, that folders and "normal" bikes are not yet equivalent in their manufactured quality, and we should all give those trying to make good folders our critical but constructive support.

Now, as for brompton and the power-user thing - the extent to which I see bromptons in everyday use in the UK now - particularly in London and the SouthEast - by people who quite clearly are not fanatics, or great enthusiasts for folding bikes as a hobby, or anything like that , make it quite clear they are used widely and heavily by people who want to commute on a good reliable bike, and for them Brompton is it. They are not worried about mods or designer add ons, not power-users, but the equivalent of people who use a pc for email and wordprocessing and a bit of surfing and care not about anything else.

The parts that normally need replacing are easily available - tyres, brake pads, saddles etc. The bike is not too complex to be handled by a LBS. It is incredibly sturdy. And other parts are available easily enough mail order eg from SJS cycles. Would I buy one if I lived in the States - well, it would depend, because there are some great US bikes available, and the exchange rate always makes a difference, or should; and likewise there is always the question of getting and shipping unusual parts, but I suspect these issues pertain in different forms for almost every folder.
Old 09-19-09, 07:03 PM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did read your whole post. You stated that I am the most guilty of "power user" claims. I'm asking you to provide a single example to back that up.
You're the one who waded into this thread with a condescending post and declared that the Brompton's fold is tiresome and cumbersome. You're the one who got irritated when I said that the Brompton's fold can be done in 10 seconds. I wonder why you were so annoyed when everybody knows that the Tikit's fold can be done in sub-3 seconds, which is way faster than the Brompton's. And that's where you threw that power user accusation. Why are you so uptight up to the point that you have to insult fellow folder enthusiasts here? The Tikit is a great bike. So is the Brompton.

You still have dodged the question as to how long have you experienced a Brompton, if you have owned one or just touched one (or measured one with your tools, as you stated before) at an LBS. Bro, that is not the way to know this bike. It grows on you. Spend some time with it. Soon you will see that the fold is not 'tiresome and cumbersome', but still way slower than a Tikit's. And that's OK.

The 10 second fold is very doable. Sometimes one hits a snag (usually with the twiddly knobs) and then it becomes 15 seconds. No big deal. I'd show it to you in person, as I mentioned before that I am often in the DC area and love to bike the Mt. Vernon Trail (though I am out of the country now), and I did invite you for a friendly meet several months ago, in your Tikit thread(I'm the type of person who loves talking about and comparing all sorts of bikes, not just folders). You ignored me.

Just chill bro. We are all friends here, no need for underhand comments.
Old 09-20-09, 02:13 AM
feijai

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're the one who waded into this thread with a condescending post and declared that the Brompton's fold is tiresome and cumbersome. You're the one who got irritated when I said that the Brompton's fold can be done in 10 seconds.
You specifically called me a hypocrite. After I called you on your 10-second Brompton claim, you attacked me for making such "power-user" claims more than anyone else. I asked you to back that up with a single example of me making a power-user claim. You appear unable to do so. Instead, all you're doing is moving the goalposts. I think I am owed an apology.

Last edited by feijai; 09-20-09 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-20-09, 05:16 AM
rbrian

Bikes: '07 Brompton S6L; '10 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-20-09, 07:46 AM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You specifically called me a hypocrite. After I called you on your 10-second Brompton claim, you attacked me for making such "power-user" claims more than anyone else. I asked you to back that up with a single example of me making a power-user claim. You appear unable to do so. Instead, all you're doing is moving the goalposts. I think I am owed an apology.
I'm sorry you're the way you are. You're the one who introduced the 'power user' term in this thread. Calling me on the 10 second fold? You don't think it can't be done? You amaze me. I won't hold my breath as to where and for how long you have 'tested' a Brompton because it had been asked numerous times before and you keep dodging it. If you have tried folding the Brompton and found it 'tiresome and cumbersome' as you put it, then perhaps you should use two hands instead of one.
Old 09-20-09, 08:42 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sorry you're the way you are. You're the one who introduced the 'power user' term in this thread. Calling me on the 10 second fold? You don't think it can't be done? You amaze me. I won't hold my breath as to where and for how long you have 'tested' a Brompton because it had been asked numerous times before and you keep dodging it. If you have tried folding the Brompton and found it 'tiresome and cumbersome' as you put it, then perhaps you should use two hands instead of one.
Please stop the quarrel, its not helping the OP.
Old 09-20-09, 02:05 PM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been using folders for two years now. I always liked the Bromptons but I started with a cheap folder from e-bay just to test how well a folding bike would work in conjunction with the train. After six months I bought the first dahon mu sl. In hindsight I should have skipped the troublesome dahons and gone straight to a Brompton, which just happens to be the perfect multi-mode commuting bike for me.

With the titan and dahon bikes I would store them at home and just drop the handlebar stem so they would take up less space in the porch. At work I would fold the bikes in half (leaving the seat-post and handlebars upright) just to get the bikes in the lift. On arrival at the railway station I would normally try and put the bike (without folding) into the rack for full sized bikes. TBH I found the Taiwanese bikes to be a bit of a chore to fold and they were still bulky folded and would not fit between the seat backs on Mersey Trains. In short I would only fold the bikes if I really had to.

By contrast I fold the Brompton at every opportunity (at least 8 times a day). The Brompton fits perfectly between the train seat backs and it is such a well designed bike that it is a pleasure to fold it up. The other evening I was running late and got to the platform just as the train was pulling in. I can fold the bike in 10 seconds and quickly have the little cover on ready to board the train.... another cyclist I know saw me and said “you’re just showing off now!”

I went for the 2 Speed Titanium Lightweight S-Type Brompton with no rack or guards. This was to keep the weight to a minimum. I carry my Brompton from the train to the booking hall (about 3-4 mins) and then unfold it ready to ride. I never use the transit wheels.

For me the Brompton is the perfect bike for my needs. It fits me perfectly and it has proved to be very reliable and robust and there is not a single scratch on the bike after 6 months of use.
A lot of owners/ bike dealers refer to the Brompton as “the Rolls Royce of folding bikes” and I for one am not going to argue with that!
Old 09-21-09, 12:22 AM
NigelHealy

Bikes: 3 Bromptons, M2L-X, S6L-X/BWR. S6R/SRAM/Schlimpf, Novara Roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking around, I found this video of a Brompton which just struck me as great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkro...BF907&index=53

Is this truly that easy to move the bike around folded w/ one hand?
Say you're wheeling it around to your table at a restaurant, can you just drop the seat post and you're neatly folded?
Hi, I own 3 Bromptons and am a regular visitor to Texas.

So, the seatpost when its fully dropped down, acts to stop the bike unfolding, it's part of its locking system, so if you pull up the seatpost, you can can push the B along but any pulling back and the B will begin to unfold. One solution, if you are tall or want to be able to push it around like in the video is the telescopic seatpost.

Also, the inner part of the telescope can be completely pulled up and out and makes the folded package smaller than not having the telescopic seatpost as you're minus the saddle sitting ontop of the post.

The brakes are fine, this is my local evening ride and I do it on a S6R-X
https://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp...smountain.html

I'd say the brakes are strong enough to stop the bike quickly, but every bike has a different brake sensitivity and you can find if you move to a bike with stronger brakes your brake too quickly and then when you change bikes you brake too gently. The B's brakes are strong enough to stop you immediately when on the flat.

The B's biggest weakness is the long steep descent, e.g. dropping a 1000 feet in mile or less, the small wheels overheat, that's due to the small wheels and any small-wheel bike would suffer the same.

I once was overtaken by a Tikit, the rider going really fast, I was impressed, for about 1 minute, at the next lights the rider was gasping for breath.

I'd say the Brompton is the best folder if compact fold is your main thing.

For my "about town" B, I use a M2L-X and my touring bike, I often do 100-120 mile rides is a S6R-X. I'm back in England in a couple of months for a family visit and I keep a M6R there in storage as my local transport.

I bought my B whilst I lived in UK, and currently live in California. I service the B myself and order parts from UK dealers in big infrequent orders to minimize the postal costs, and self-service. No problem. Currently thinking about replacing the back wheel, which by the way is very easy, its only challenging for those with tiny wee brains or a fear of using a spanner. There is plenty of good B advice if you decide to get a B on Yahoo's BromptonTalk group.
Old 09-21-09, 02:35 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=PDR;9709741
A lot of owners/ bike dealers refer to the Brompton as “the Rolls Royce of folding bikes” and I for one am not going to argue with that!
[/QUOTE]

I am !
Old 09-21-09, 04:09 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
I am !
Sorry, but I’m not going to take the bait There is nothing to gain from getting into a debate with a Mezzo owner
Old 09-21-09, 07:25 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR
Sorry, but I’m not going to take the bait There is nothing to gain from getting into a debate with a Mezzo owner
Ex Brompton and Merc owner also.
Old 09-21-09, 08:19 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR
Hmmmmm ... I would.
Old 09-21-09, 12:41 PM
NigelHealy

Bikes: 3 Bromptons, M2L-X, S6L-X/BWR. S6R/SRAM/Schlimpf, Novara Roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR
I can fold the bike in 10 seconds and quickly have the little cover on ready to board the train.... another cyclist I know saw me and said “you’re just showing off now!”
You know, I've own Bromptons for 6 years and never timed myself.

So my M2L-X, it takes me 12 seconds to unfold it, and that's moving slowly, regular pace, not trying to show off, and that includes making sure the saddle is lined up parallel to the main tube. Folding takes me 13 seconds. If I were entering some competition, I could probably get both down to 10 seconds.

Much more than 13 seconds, is someone telling untruths to fit some bias.

Also, the folded package is locked, I can move it around without having to worry, and the dirt bits are inside. Many folders have a random floppy design when folded.

Last edited by NigelHealy; 09-21-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 01:01 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NigelHealy
Good for you,if you can do sub 13 seconds, but I prefer that you don't suggest I am lying because my experience of this bike is different from yours. That's a bit rich.
Old 09-21-09, 03:12 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NigelHealy
My wife did the fold in ~20-30 seconds. But she was never in a rush. I was high variance. But I think 13 seconds is on the fast side.
Old 09-22-09, 05:22 AM
bykerouac
I Fold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy on the 10 second claims, people. Someone here gets apoplectic when he sees that.
Old 09-22-09, 07:32 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My concern regarding the Brompton from various posts on this board: it's not good for hills, has poor brakes, the rear wheel is very difficult to remove in case of a flat, has propietary parts which make repairs difficult in the U.S.
1. I don't see why the Tikit would be any better for hills than the Brompton. You'd need a front derailleur to get a wider range than the M6L and, frankly, those are so inconvenient to use that they're basically pointless. The Tikit would probably be lighter, but the Brompton's handlebars will be stiffer.
2. You can always upgrade the brakes later if you don't like them. For example, you could use a drum brake or different brand of caliper brake or (if you're willing to spent the money) get v-brake bosses brazed on.
3. People with folding bikes don't have to change flats on the road. Even if changing rear flats is a little harder, an internal hub will make maintenance much easier overall. Besides, sometimes when people say something is hard when they really mean they're just not used to it. Although I know the party line is that internally geared wheels are more difficult to put on/off I have never found it to be true; when I had to take off the rear wheel of my derailleur equipped bike the other day I had a bit of a struggle with the derailleur spring and web-like chain.
4. Proprietary parts will be an minor inconvenience if you live in the US, but so what? If convenience of purchasing is a top priority then go shop with the masses at walmart, but if you want something suited to your particular needs then you'll have to deal with a little inconvenience.

IMO, for a person of your dimensions running errands in 5-6 mile stints the Brompton is by far the best choice. Get the B-bag to hold your shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.