Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Bicycling in Cambridge, Boston, Lexington

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 03:43 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I'll be in Boston the last week of this month and would like to bring a bicycle to go a few places in Boston, Cambridge, Lexington, and probably Arlington.

When I lived in Cambridge & Somerville and worked in Boston from 1980-1990, traffic seemed fairly easy to deal with - follow the usual traffic paterns (chaotic), and the congestion slowed all traffic down to bicycle speeds. My questions concern 2 developments since I've left:

(1) Cambridge & Boston bicycle lanes
All the google photos and descriptions I read of the Cambridge bicycle lanes sound like they are as badly designed as every Philadelphia lane I've seen so far. They are almost all in door zones, and they are still installing new bike lanes to the right of right turn only lanes. Since a few bicyclists I know have been doored, these lanes scare me far more than congested city traffic.

Do the police in Cambridge and Boston enforce mandatory use of the bicycle lanes (pull over bicyclists outside the bike lane, automatically fault bicyclists outside of bicycle lanes in accidents, etc.)? Does Boston have any significant bicycle lanes yet?

If bike lane use is enforced, do Cambridge and Boston motorists make right turns from the right hand edge of the road (merging into any bike lanes present), or do the normally stay to the left of the bike lane and turn across the bicycle lane instead of merging? (The latter seems to be the practice in Philadelphia; turn signals are optional but not encouraged.)

(2) Minuteman Bicycle Path to Lexington
I think a friend of mine might enjoy the Minuteman Bike Path; since it was built after I moved from Lexington, I am curious to see it either Friday or Saturday (Oct 23 or 24th). My assumption is that it is pleasant if you ride slowly to share with pedestrians and walk across most of the intersections. (similar to the urban parts of the Schuylkill trail.)

Does anyone have suggestions on Friday vs. Saturday, or other points of interest near the path?

Thanks for any comments
Old 10-09-09, 06:09 AM
atom bomb
low and laid back

Bikes: recumbent trikes

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
Does anyone have suggestions on Friday vs. Saturday, or other points of interest near the path?
Saturday, if weather is good.... expect a crowd. In my experience, on a weekday, the path is not busy very early - before rush hour commute, and then just after.... between 9:30 and noon. Best to ride when it's not crowded. In October beware of wet leaves, twigs, pine needles and acorn debris.

Incidentally, from Bedford, at the end of the Minuteman, you can easily ride out Rt. 225 to a newly completed 8 mi. section of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail in Westford, which goes up to Lowell. I haven't ridden on it yet. Info here:

https://www.brucefreemanrailtrail.org/Phase1/index.html
Old 10-09-09, 06:43 AM
Pedal Dancer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting doored is my biggest fear when riding in MA towns where everyone is parked on the street - it makes for a very unpleasant bike ride just to have to keep thinking about it. My advice is get out of those towns and find a nice quiet road. There are some out by Lexington and Bedford so seek them out.

I think a friend of mine might enjoy the Minuteman Bike Path; since it was built after I moved from Lexington, I am curious to see it either Friday or Saturday (Oct 23 or 24th). My assumption is that it is pleasant if you ride slowly to share with pedestrians and walk across most of the intersections. (similar to the urban parts of the Schuylkill trail.)
If you are a road cyclists stay off this trail as it is a gauntlet from hell. If you enjoy riding at 7-8mph and still have to dodge joggers, dogs and the unhuman roller bladers, then do so at your own peril. I rather ride on roads and deal with cars then the troglodytes that are on this path most of the time. That is my $.02
Old 10-09-09, 10:50 PM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome back!!

(1) Cambridge & Boston bicycle lanes
Expect there to be vehicles stopped in them
Expect there to be cyclists going the wrong way in them
Follow traffic laws and use signals even though nobody else does. There have been way too many car on bike crashes recently.
Bike lanes on major roads like Broadway in Cambridge can have debris in spots
Obviously, pot holes
Mass ave around Central is crazy, and mass ave by MIT you'll get a ticket for blowing lights.
Boston, there are nice bike lanes on Comm Ave and Beacon, but lots of stopped cars and trucks.

Do the police in Cambridge and Boston enforce mandatory use of the bicycle lanes (pull over bicyclists outside the bike lane, automatically fault bicyclists outside of bicycle lanes in accidents, etc.)? Does Boston have any significant bicycle lanes yet?

You don't have to ride in the bike lane
Always expect drivers to try to hit you.

Go on Friday
It's beautiful in Bedford where the path ends... you can buy "pocket rides" laminated route cards at the bike shop at the end of the trail--Bikeway Source.
Old 10-13-09, 08:38 AM
verbcrunch

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Ibis Ripley, Fat Chance. Concorde.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a lot more of an awareness of bicycles all over Boston & Cambridge now than there was in 1990. It's gratifying to see bike advocacy efforts come to fruition.
Old 10-16-09, 09:17 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re the Minuteman Trail, I have a post about it here with lots of photos and commentary. In the summer, I would say to avoid it on Sundays like the plague. But now the number of cyclists has reduced considerably and any day should be fine. Even the Charles River Trail was nearly empty over Columbus Day weekend. So yes, go for it on any day you like.

As for cycling in Cambridge/Somerville... I live right on the city line and cycle through both on a daily basis. There is a great deal of variance depending on the neighborhood, and in general there is no consistent standard of behavior on the part of either motorists or cyclists. I don't want to rant about it here, but it really can be chaotic and frustrating at times!

Last edited by Veloria; 10-17-09 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 06:05 PM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
mandatory use of the bicycle lanes
Everyone in Cambridge -- motorists, cyclists, and police alike -- completely ignores the existence of the bicycle lanes. The wits that you developed cycling here in 1990 will serve you just as well 20 years later.

The relatively new lane on Comm Ave in Boston is, by comparison, pretty well respected by cyclists and motorists and much of it is far away from door-zone, though cargo trucks constantly park in it when they unload. Still makes Comm Ave a better place to bike than it used to be. Police won't care whether you use it or not, but you might as well.

Last edited by pocky; 10-17-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 08:02 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies, they are helpful.
I'm not surprised everyone ignores the bike lanes; my recollection was that there was minimal enforcement for both motorists and bicyclists. I don't expect any problems stopping at stop signs.

I saw the entry on Lovely Bicycles; I think my friend will like a 7-8 mph ride for 1-3 hours on the trail; we'll see if we return on the trail or just take Mass Ave. (I suspect Mass Ave may be a little busy for her.)
Old 10-19-09, 11:48 AM
Midol_Mohawk