Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Increasing Severity Of Bicycle Injuries Leads To Concerns About Cycling Infrastructur

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Increasing Severity Of Bicycle Injuries Leads To Concerns About Cycling Infrastructur

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 12:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Liked 3,228 Times in 1,843 Posts

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1016141400.htm
Old 10-18-09, 12:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The entire article:

Increasing Severity Of Bicycle Injuries Leads To Concerns About Cycling Infrastructure

ScienceDaily (Oct. 17, 2009) — Record-high gasoline prices, the slowdown in the economy, and increasing environmental sensitivity are leading more people to bike to work or for play. But an adequate infrastructure may not be in place to protect cyclists from serious injury according to surgeons who presented a new study on the issue during a scientific paper session at the 2009 Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons

The researchers found that the severity of injury and hospital length-of-stay for bicycle injuries at one trauma center has increased significantly over the past 11 years. Despite the wide-spread attention paid to the importance of wearing helmets, helmet use did not change during the time period of the study, and more than 33 percent of 329 bicycle injury victims had a significant head injury. Even more alarming, the number of chest injuries increased by 15 percent and abdominal injuries rose three-fold over the last five years. “We were astounded by that data,” said Jeffry Kashuk, MD, FACS, associate professor of surgery at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and senior attending surgeon at the Rocky Mountain Regional Trauma Center at Denver Health Medical Center, Denver. “We’re talking about injured spleens and livers, internal bleeding, rib fractures, and hemothorax [blood in the chest]. Those kinds of injuries are reflected by an increase in injury severity score,” he added.

The study was conducted in Denver, which has one of the most well-developed bicycle path networks in the country. “Denver is very much a bicycle community. If we are seeing an increase in injuries in a metropolitan area that has fairly mature bike infrastructure from the standpoint of bike pathways, there’s reason for concern about what’s happening in metropolitan areas that don’t have that level of maturity. There seems to be a significant increase nationally in the use of the bicycle for urban transportation. If our data is a microcosm of what is going on nationally, we may be on the cusp of an injury epidemic,” Dr. Kashuk said.

Researchers at the University of Colorado hope to obtain funding so they can expand the study nationally and generate data that will support better safety standards and raise community awareness about the lack of cycling infrastructure. “On a local and national level, people need to be aware of the fact that a push for bike transportation for the sake of health, the environment, and lower transportation costs has real potential to raise medical costs because our infrastructure may not be ready for it,” Dr. Kashuk said. “Look at all the safety factors that have been incor-porated in automobiles and streets and highways. If even a percentage of that kind of investment went into safety vis-a-vis bike paths and community infrastructure, we would protect people from major injury.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1016141400.htm

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 10-18-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 12:26 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

An increase in severe injuries, but no data on whether this is disproportionate to the increased number of cyclists, or increased distance traveled or number of trips. Also no indication if the victims were riding on the streets or on the "mature" bicycle infrastructure.

If more people ride bikes, it might be that fewer people ride in cars. If so, there might be a decline in injuries of people in cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-18-09, 12:56 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
An increase in severe injuries, but no data on whether this is disproportionate to the increased number of cyclists, or increased distance traveled or number of trips. Also no indication if the victims were riding on the streets or on the "mature" bicycle infrastructure.

If more people ride bikes, it might be that fewer people ride in cars. If so, there might be a decline in injuries of people in cars.
There is another question, how much of this is more dangerous forms of riding, that have nothing to do with road riding. Urban trick riding, BMX trick riding at the skate park, have an order of magnitude higher crash rate then road riding. Even mountain bike riding is much more dangerous. This needs to also be part of any study that is done.
Old 10-18-09, 01:29 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Also these are injuries, not deaths.

If these injuries are occurring on bike paths, what may have occurred if these same riders were on streets?
Old 10-18-09, 02:20 PM
Reed Enwright

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An increase in severe injuries, but no data on whether this is disproportionate to the increased number of cyclists, or increased distance traveled or number of trips.
People should keep this in mind every time there is a bicycle involved in an accident and/or road rage incident.

More bicycles on the road means more bicycles in the news.
Old 10-18-09, 06:05 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
There is another question, how much of this is more dangerous forms of riding, that have nothing to do with road riding. Urban trick riding, BMX trick riding at the skate park, have an order of magnitude higher crash rate then road riding. Even mountain bike riding is much more dangerous. This needs to also be part of any study that is done.
I was just thinking: "I wonder how many of these are intentional attacks by motorists."

Seems to me that BMX and hipster trick riding is unlikely to yield many bad injuries. Lots of broken bones, few deaths.
Old 10-19-09, 08:59 AM
RapidRobert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also more novice cyclists on the road and paths because of the gas priice situation mentioned, many riding stupidly (like on the left side or sidewalk, and without lights). And the focus on helmets as the "magic pill" that'll save your life in all cases of accident, the absence of rider education in high school, ridiculous helmet laws for those 13 to 18 years old that keep young adults generally off their bikes and out of the bike clubs, and the extra risk taking by those who bought in to the helmet meme and therefore think the helmet will protect them. Helmets do nothing for a punctured lung.
Old 10-19-09, 10:21 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If we are seeing an increase in injuries in a metropolitan area that has fairly mature bike infrastructure from the standpoint of bike pathways, there’s reason for concern about what’s happening in metropolitan areas that don’t have that level of maturity.
A few other explanations:
1) car drivers are getting more aggressive and/or less skilled
2) the infrastructure that they have is not done correctly, and is not reducing accidents.
3) the injured cyclists may not have been properly instructed in riding. Was the study adjusted for length of time the riders had been on the road? For stupid practices (riding wrong way, riding at night with no lights/dark clothing, transitioning from sidewalk or MUP to crosswalk/road without due care, etc)?
Old 10-19-09, 10:49 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
A few other explanations:
1) car drivers are getting more aggressive and/or less skilled
2) the infrastructure that they have is not done correctly, and is not reducing accidents.
3) the injured cyclists may not have been properly instructed in riding. Was the study adjusted for length of time the riders had been on the road? For stupid practices (riding wrong way, riding at night with no lights/dark clothing, transitioning from sidewalk or MUP to crosswalk/road without due care, etc)?
Moral of the story: neither infrastructure nor helmets are a cure for stoopid.
Old 10-19-09, 11:13 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Moral of the story: neither infrastructure nor helmets are a cure for stoopid.
ka-ching!

Not to mention the fact that this research hasn't even been through peer review. It was apparently presented as a paper to the 2009 Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, but looking on the website for the event, I can find no listing of it.

In short, I would be highly dubious about hanging my little-used helmet on anything it says. Probably statistical garbage cobbled together by a grad student trying desperately to whack out his dissertation before the student loans come due.
Old 10-19-09, 11:47 AM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree, it's not made clear what the results are actually showing. the only hard number stated is "33% of 329 bicycle injury victims had a significant head injury"
The rise of 15% and three fold increase in chest/abdominal injuries are the only figures that could have meaning, but they're actually useless without supporting data. Has the total amount of accidents gone up/down/remained the same? Has cycle use gone up/down/remained the same?
(if my area is any indication, there has been a HUGE growth in cycle use, I used to be able to ride 10 or 15 miles and see one or two bikes, now I can ride a few blocks and see a dozen bikes.)

Ken.
Old 10-19-09, 11:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by kendall
The rise of 15% and three fold increase in chest/abdominal injuries are the only figures that could have meaning, but they're actually useless without supporting data.
I'm not a pathologist, but these types of injuries strongly suggest that the cyclists were hit by cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-19-09, 12:01 PM
tjwarren
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the article:
We’re talking about injured spleens and livers, internal bleeding, rib fractures, and hemothorax (blood in the chest).
Perhaps this is the result of too much bike-specific infrastructure? I spend most of my time on the roads, but the few "bike paths" I've been on have been narrow twisty passageways with brush and trees directly off of the path. They're more like a snowmobile trail than a road.

Perhaps all of these internal injuries are due to the lack of maneuverable space in and on either side of the trail?
Old 10-19-09, 12:06 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by tjwarren
From the article:

We’re talking about injured spleens and livers, internal bleeding, rib fractures, and hemothorax (blood in the chest).
Perhaps this is the result of too much bike-specific infrastructure? I spend most of my time on the roads, but the few "bike paths" I've been on have been narrow twisty passageways with brush and trees directly off of the path. They're more like a snowmobile trail than a road.

Perhaps all of these internal injuries are due to the lack of maneuverable space in and on either side of the trail?
The injuries in the quote are not typical for bicycle falls. They are more likely the result of fairly high speed collisions with cars.

Bike fall injuries:
  • Common--fractures of wrist and collar bone, head and neck injuries, soft tissue injuries, hematoma, road rash.
  • More rarely--fractures of pelvis and lower extremities, internal injuries.
  • Very rare--internal organ injuries.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-19-09, 12:09 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
(For this post, chipcom will be playing the part of the evil John Forester)

Infrastructure encourages incompetent cycling
Old 10-19-09, 12:17 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-19-09, 12:18 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
whoa, that's some sword ole Oscar has there
Old 10-19-09, 12:25 PM
tjwarren
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The injuries in the quote are not typical for bicycle falls. They are more likely the result of fairly high speed collisions with cars.

Bike fall injuries:
  • Common--fractures of wrist and collar bone, head and neck injuries, soft tissue injuries, hematoma, road rash.
  • More rarely--fractures of pelvis and lower extremities, internal injuries.
  • Very rare--internal organ injuries.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm saying that perhaps these injuries are the result of running into trees and brush (and not simple falls).
Old 10-19-09, 12:57 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
whoa, that's some sword ole Oscar has there
Necessary to hide certain gifts of nature.
Old 10-19-09, 12:57 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep in mind injuries or the lack there of were not reported to the hospital and are not part of the tabulation. So if we had a lot of accidents that resulted in no hospital visit but were part of the tabulation we could say that the severity went down. In other words, its hard to glean any useful information from this report.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 10-19-09, 01:10 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's hard to glean useful cycling injury data, period.
Old 10-19-09, 07:31 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

I think chipcom is evil enough already!
Old 10-19-09, 07:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
ka-ching!

Not to mention the fact that this research hasn't even been through peer review. It was apparently presented as a paper to the 2009 Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, but looking on the website for the event, I can find no listing of it.

In short, I would be highly dubious about hanging my little-used helmet on anything it says. Probably statistical garbage cobbled together by a grad student trying desperately to whack out his dissertation before the student loans come due.
And did everyone notice, that they already decided what the results of their national study will be, should they get the funding.