Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$5749 available. What bike should I buy?!?!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

$5749 available. What bike should I buy?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 09:06 PM
riff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthWestDork
If you can figure out how to get this shipped to you (or if you know someone in a close country, like Canada).

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fo...09/5360037577/

Lightweight Standard 3 Wheelset
Full Dura Ace 7900
I'd second this! The Focus bikes are fantastic (I got the Milram LW version when in Europe). They have a Di2 equipped one as well, that's within your price range.
Old 10-19-09, 09:21 PM
StratoPT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are putting forth some really AWESOME recommendations. I'm intrigued by the Di2 on the Felt for 6k for sure, and I know the RT800 Kestrel is a great bike because I nearly bought it instead of the original RT900 I had stolen. Clearly, I have a lot of research to do, and I love all your suggestions.

Seems everyone here is recommending carbon frame bikes; tonight at my LBS, the guy was really big into getting me into a Seven custom titanium bike. He was going off about how durable titanium is and how carbon is a potentially foolish buy because bikes only take one wreck to be ruined. Thoughts on that? He also seemed to think that Seven could put couplers on the titanium bike so I could easily travel with it (even though it's not advertised on their website that they can do couplers).

Regarding insurance...some of you asked how it works. Dr Pete is right...I can't just go buy a $3k bike and pocket the rest. I made a claim on my renter's insurance, and they are covering replacement cost, less the ridiculously low $100 deductible. Whatever complete bike I buy up to $5749 will be reimbursed once I buy it and provide the receipt.

Thanks everyone, and please keep those opinions coming!
Old 10-19-09, 09:45 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StratoPT
You guys are putting forth some really AWESOME recommendations. I'm intrigued by the Di2 on the Felt for 6k for sure, and I know the RT800 Kestrel is a great bike because I nearly bought it instead of the original RT900 I had stolen. Clearly, I have a lot of research to do, and I love all your suggestions.

Seems everyone here is recommending carbon frame bikes; tonight at my LBS, the guy was really big into getting me into a Seven custom titanium bike. He was going off about how durable titanium is and how carbon is a potentially foolish buy because bikes only take one wreck to be ruined. Thoughts on that? He also seemed to think that Seven could put couplers on the titanium bike so I could easily travel with it (even though it's not advertised on their website that they can do couplers).

Regarding insurance...some of you asked how it works. Dr Pete is right...I can't just go buy a $3k bike and pocket the rest. I made a claim on my renter's insurance, and they are covering replacement cost, less the ridiculously low $100 deductible. Whatever complete bike I buy up to $5749 will be reimbursed once I buy it and provide the receipt.

Thanks everyone, and please keep those opinions coming!
Ok well if you really need to spend the entire 5.7k, get a custom Independent Fabrication Ti bike. They are more rare than a Seven and you can get a sweet shot-peened finish
Old 10-20-09, 07:09 AM
priceless

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on going TI...If I had the money it would definetly be TI. Moots, Lynskey, Independent fab, seven etc... Spec it how you want too!!!
Old 10-20-09, 01:12 PM
biglips31
Super Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you name the shop?
Old 10-20-09, 08:57 PM
StratoPT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I can use any bike shop I like. If it is mailed to me, insurance will pay for assembly as well.

Re: Ti bikes....I like the look of the Moots Vamoots (and hear good things about it) and it's cheaper than the Sevens. Don't know anything about Independent Fabrication or Lynskey. I'll look them up and educate myself...thanks!!
Old 10-21-09, 03:45 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StratoPT
Re: Ti bikes....I like the look of the Moots Vamoots (and hear good things about it) and it's cheaper than the Sevens. Don't know anything about Independent Fabrication or Lynskey. I'll look them up and educate myself...thanks!!
I like the idea of going Ti. I own a DEAN custom and it is the cat's meow. A DEAN, Moots, Serotta Classique series, Indy Fab, Seven, or Lynskey should definitely be on the table.

Edit: Go play with the bike builder on Wrench Science. You'll get a good idea how much bang you'll get for your buck.

https://www.wrenchscience.com/WSLogic...um&stylecode=R

Last edited by 14max; 10-21-09 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:51 AM
vans1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Abosolutist 0.9

I have a Storck Absolutist 0.9, with SRAM Red and Spinergy wheels.

LOVE IT!

I have one for sale if you are interested..........
Old 10-21-09, 10:52 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$5749 available????

Old 10-21-09, 09:49 PM
StratoPT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the Wrench Science bike builder....you're right...it gives me a good idea of the ballpark of cost and weight for various builds I'd like. Thanks!!