Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy/DA Compatibility?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campy/DA Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 01:00 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Campy/DA Compatibility?

I finally pulled the trigger on an 8spd DA group for my Columbus TSX frame. DA STI 7700 brifters & 7400 RD. I have some nice Open Pro rims, but they're 36H and am having a hard time finding 8spd hubs. I saw these Mavic rims with Campy hubs and cassette on EB and think I remember reading that there may be some compatibility between some Dura Ace and Campy components. Is the Campy cassette spacing compatible with STI 7700 and chain? Here's a link to the Campy wheelset, it does not say what model they are.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 10-23-09, 01:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
I don't think they made many 36' hubs. I have an older Veloce hub and even it is 32'. as for comnpatibility. on one of my bikes I have 8spd da DT shft and RD with a Campi 8spd cass. it works fine. I had started with a sachs 8spd freewheel on my C-Rec HF hubs but after a few axles I switched to the cassette.

if I could find 8spd Campi DTs that could afford (or wanted to try and out bid the snipers) I would certainly use them instead.

btw nice wheels

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 10-23-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add text
Old 10-23-09, 01:33 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
In my experience, 8sp spacing is 8sp spacing. I've run Shimano-spaced 8sp cassettes with my Campy Record Ergo with no problems, I don't see why the reverse wouldn't work as well.
Old 10-23-09, 01:41 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I don't think they made many 36' hubs. I have an older Veloce hub and even it is 32'. as for comnpatibility. on one of my bikes I have 8spd da DT shft and RD with a Campi 8spd cass. it works fine. I had started with a sachs 8spd freewheel on my C-Rec HF hubs but after a few axles I switched to the cassette.

if I could find 8spd Campi DTs that could afford (or wanted to try and out bid the snipers) I would certainly use them instead.

btw nice wheels
As for 36 hole rims, your right, they are getting harder to find hubs for I'm finding out. That's probably why I got them for so cheap. Anybody have a set of Ultegra or DA 36H 8spd hubs they want to part with?
Your 8spd DA DT shifters and RD working with a Campy cassette would make since if they are non-indexed. However, I'm not sure if the spacing between the Campy cogs and teeth will work with DA STI brifters and chain?
Old 10-23-09, 01:48 PM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Except for the early 10-speed Dura Ace hubs, I believe you can use any shimano-compatible 8/9/10 speed rear hub and just put an 8-speed cassette on it. The freehubs are the same dimensions, the difference is in the spacing of the rear cogs on the cassettes. I'm running 8 speed on a DA-7700 rear hub currently.
Old 10-23-09, 02:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
yes it indexes just fine.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-23-09, 02:53 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Campy 8s spacing = 5.0mm c-c. Shimano 8s spacing = 4.8mm c-c. Some have made this work w/o issues, others have not.

An since you're already mixing periods w/7400 & 7700, I'd just buy some newer Shimano hubs, 8s, 9s whatever, just avoid ones labeled 10s only.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 10-23-09, 03:27 PM
miamijim

Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
Keep in mind that all the 8s+ hubs are 130mm.
Old 10-23-09, 04:56 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Your shifters are 7400 STI (8-sp) DA. The FD is 7410, the RD 7400, and the crankset is 7700, with the bb. I've run the same group with an 8-sp Chorus cassette on Vento wheels, no problem.

They shipped today, Priority Mail, Flat Rate box, with new hoods, FD, RD, crankset, shifters, hoods, bb, cassette (HG). If you don't need the cassette, sell it or hold it in case you get wheels for it.

I think you'll like them, and as for the price, thank cudak888 and Spinz. They made it possible, I just passed it on....
Old 10-23-09, 07:31 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Keep in mind that all the 8s+ hubs are 130mm.
That's OK, mine's a 130mm. Early 90's, I think.
Old 10-23-09, 07:34 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's super-fragleistic, I can't wait!!! It's all coming together, except for those darn hubs.
Old 10-23-09, 07:46 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Barker
Campy 8s spacing = 5.0mm c-c. Shimano 8s spacing = 4.8mm c-c. Some have made this work w/o issues, others have not.

An since you're already mixing periods w/7400 & 7700, I'd just buy some newer Shimano hubs, 8s, 9s whatever, just avoid ones labeled 10s only.
I've been corrected by the seller, they are 7400 brifters, Its the crank that is 7700. I wonder why it works for some and not others?

It would be nice to have new hubs; however, I've been looking on EB for a couple of months for 36H Shimano hubs and the only ones I remember seeing are new 8,9,10 spd DA for 200. I think the Campys with Reflex rims might go for less then that.

Next question is, if its the cog spacing that is the issue, will a shimano 8spd cassette fit a Campy 8 free hub?
Old 10-23-09, 07:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I've been corrected by the seller, they are 7400 brifters, Its the crank that is 7700. I wonder why it works for some and not others?

It would be nice to have new hubs; however, I've been looking on EB for a couple of months for 36H Shimano hubs and the only ones I remember seeing are new 8,9,10 spd DA for 200. I think the Campys with Reflex rims might go for less then that.

Next question is, if its the cog spacing that is the issue, will a shimano 8spd cassette fit a Campy 8 free hub?
Nope. Campy freehubs and Shimano cassettes are not compatible. Neither are they the other way around. Do you need an 8-sp rear wheel for Shimano? I have a set with a bent front rim, but the rear is fine, Ritchey Aero OCR....black.
Old 10-23-09, 08:03 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Nope. Campy freehubs and Shimano cassettes are not compatible. Neither are they the other way around. Do you need an 8-sp rear wheel for Shimano? I have a set with a bent front rim, but the rear is fine, Ritchey Aero OCR....black.
Possibly. This does seem to be getting more complicated then it should be. I bought the Mavic Open Pro rims many months ago just for this bike. Little did I know at the time, that 36 hole hubs were going to be so hard to find. I guess I'll just have to be patient & maybe some will pop up. It doesn't sound like it would be worth taking a chance on the Campys working.