Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dumbest / Most Dangerous Thing You Did This Year. Post!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 08:43 AM
Servo888

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Earlier this year I decided to try riding in the morning... 5:30am type of thing. Pitch black outside, 55MPH road, and I did not have a single light / reflector on my bike. I hit half a dozen potholes, that I didn't see, and came within a few feet of several stone/soil trucks.

So dark road...

And a few of these bad boys...

I don't did that once... If I ever do that again, it will be with a powerful light; both front and rear.
Old 10-31-09, 09:02 AM
Mr Floss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rode in the middle of a busy traffic filled road with cars zooming past me at around 40mph, honking and shaking their fists at me.
Old 10-31-09, 09:03 AM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A driver maximally accelerated to pass me with about 30 feet to go before a stop sign, then pulled right in front of me and had to slam on the brakes. I was so pissed I blew through the stop sign on the right, and only after-wards realized it wasn't a four way stop, and I hadn't checked to see if I was going to be t-boned by cross traffic that had no stop sign. The minivan then passes me again, honks, flips me off, and some words were lost to the Doppler effect. A half mile later the car is stuck behind 12 other cars because of a traffic jam involving a school bus, train, stop sign, and a traffic light, and heavy mid day traffic. I pass on the left, slow down to express my feelings as I pass, then use the oncoming lane, sidewalks, lawns, and some creative bunny hopping to make my get away around the stand-still traffic jam. After-wards I realized there were two jerks on that stretch of road that day, and I wasn't sure which one was the bigger jerk.
Old 10-31-09, 09:22 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
I joined BF
Old 10-31-09, 09:34 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i did a century early in the year without building up to it after the winter break on a new bike so not all the fit issues were ironed out.

I damaged the hamstring on one leg and couldn't ride properly for several months when the weather was good. was restricted to easy rides in the park.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Last edited by coasting; 10-31-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 09:37 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it was definitely solo-ing up the side of waterfall wall. About 93ft in height, and definitely not the strongest of stone the whole way up. Nearly fell twice about half way up, but when I regained my grips and composure, I finished the climb and reached the top of the fall. The reward was ALMOST worth the risk.
Old 10-31-09, 09:42 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come on guys! The year isn't even over yet! I bet you can all do better in the upcoming two months!
Old 10-31-09, 09:58 AM
roaner

Bikes: '10 Specialized Tarmac Pro sl/ Sram red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flat front tire heading into a tight turn. moved to the outside of the group and tried to turn through with the flat. not so much. went over the bars and into a ditch. stupid and it hurt.
Old 10-31-09, 10:14 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
60mph decent on unfamiliar road, last dip and corner where a little interesting.
Old 10-31-09, 10:53 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
I tried to pass a friend on the inside approaching a blind left curve on a fast mountain descent (Glendor Mountain Road). I thought I had enough time to finish the pass before the curve, but found myself on his left side as he started to turn in. With no other option, I crossed over the double yellow and prayed there was no traffic coming the other way as my momentum carried me past a startled rider. It's even worse when you know the rider you did that to, because you gotta try to explain to them what posessed you to be that stupid and why you're still safe to ride with in the future.
Old 10-31-09, 11:04 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Built myself a 40mph Ebike. Found out quickly that Ebikes are a hobby unto themselves. Not riding, but just building and tinkering to maintain it. Spending hours in the basement tinkering with the electronics took a big toll on my social/family life. They are neat though, and they will undoubtedly be a big factor in future city transportation.

Anyway, I sold it to get back to the basics and concentrate on my road cycling.
Old 10-31-09, 11:18 AM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hot Potato
A driver maximally accelerated to pass me with about 30 feet to go before a stop sign, then pulled right in front of me and had to slam on the brakes. I was so pissed I blew through the stop sign on the right, and only after-wards realized it wasn't a four way stop, and I hadn't checked to see if I was going to be t-boned by cross traffic that had no stop sign. The minivan then passes me again, honks, flips me off, and some words were lost to the Doppler effect. A half mile later the car is stuck behind 12 other cars because of a traffic jam involving a school bus, train, stop sign, and a traffic light, and heavy mid day traffic. I pass on the left, slow down to express my feelings as I pass, then use the oncoming lane, sidewalks, lawns, and some creative bunny hopping to make my get away around the stand-still traffic jam. After-wards I realized there were two jerks on that stretch of road that day, and I wasn't sure which one was the bigger jerk.
That's so awesome. I've been thinking alot about the quote that I saw a few days ago "it is amazing how otherwise rational people - bicyclists - become crazy when they feel wronged in traffic".

Reminds me of when a van honked at me, then proceeded to slow down and tell me the "sidewalk" routine, plus how dangerous it was to be riding in the first place. After I saw them get caught up by a light, I lit the leg-grenades, got up beside them and screamed something about how their collective weights would be reduced by getting out of their cages. Yeah, later that night, I think I realized who the real doosh was.
Old 10-31-09, 11:24 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
... realized there were two jerks on that stretch of road that day.
Well realized.

I had something similar happen years ago. Never again.
Old 10-31-09, 11:29 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was feeling overly cocky after killing it on a climb, wasn't paying attention and took the descent way too fast. Took one turn too hot and missed a head-on with a Jeep by all of two inches. I've been much more conservative on the descents ever since...
Old 10-31-09, 11:32 AM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw
Reminds me of when a van honked at me, then proceeded to slow down and tell me the "sidewalk" routine, plus how dangerous it was to be riding in the first place. After I saw them get caught up by a light, I lit the leg-grenades, got up beside them and screamed something about how their collective weights would be reduced by getting out of their cages. Yeah, later that night, I think I realized who the real doosh was.
No way, screw those jerks, they were wrong. You're letting their ignorance make you feel guilty!

Edit: On-topic: In the last year or two, I've done some really sketchy routes while solo touring- 50+mph roads, often climbing at 10mph or less, with little or no shoulder, being passed by trucks. They don't bother me these days, but my nonchalance scares the crap out of some of my friends/family.

Last edited by Raiden; 10-31-09 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 11:36 AM
unbelievablyred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding behind a car in this "parking lot" (more of a street with perpendicular parking spots all along it) full of speed bumps and decided to pass the guy because he was going really slow. I went to make the pass as he was going over a speed bump, but at the same time the guy spotted a parking spot to our left and proceeded to turn towards it. Next thing I know, I'm accelerating at the side of a car with a very startled driver gaping at me. He braked hard, I braked hard, and I just barely managed to whip to the side and squeeze between his front bumper and the row of parked cars. Not surprisingly, I was chased with a long honk as I rapidly retreated down the road, full of embarrassment.
Old 10-31-09, 11:38 AM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built up a bike up from an 80's frame to start racing with. I didn't touch the original headset. I rode it for a couple weeks and noticed I couldn't really control it hands-free. Ignored it.

Then I went on my first club ride. As a couple riders took a nature break, myself and others spread out and slowed a bit. Perfect time to stretch out my back. Wrong. I went hands-free, swerved sharply, over-corrected and then slammed on a flat and straight stretch of open road. I had to give up the ride about 10 miles later, 7mi shy of the finish. I didn't want to admit how hard I had slammed, and that something was seriously wrong with my elbow. I felt like a total idiot.

Turns out I had broken the elbow, and had to have an enormous screw put in a couple days later.

Last edited by jtwilson; 10-31-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 11:55 AM
LoneCyclone
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday. 50 miles per hour behind a garbage truck on flat ground.

Boy was it fun. But boy was it smelly.
Old 10-31-09, 01:00 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deciding to cross the yellow to dive into a corner only to nearly hit a sneaky Prius.
Old 10-31-09, 01:08 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The stupidest and most dangerous thing I have done this year has to be riding in the "Speedway Century" in Miami. Never again.................. Talk about Ninja Assassins on 2 wheels..........
Old 10-31-09, 01:18 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, the most dangerous thing I did this year was nothing more than a 10 kilometre commute in broad daylight that has left me with what is likely to be a permanent injury.

We can't account for maniac drivers, texting drivers, and distracted motorists in general, but we can make sure we use our heads.

To the OP: get some decent lights. That was indeed dumb & dangerous.
Old 10-31-09, 01:36 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday morning right by a church, I hear two light horn beeps at 7:00 behind me. I figure someone is coming around and look to see. No one there, as I take too long of a look and turn around to see the now red light in front of me. The Horn was someones car being locked.......
Old 10-31-09, 01:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,475 Times in 1,971 Posts
A driver maximally accelerated to pass me with about 30 feet to go before a stop sign, then pulled right in front of me and had to slam on the brakes.
I had someone do that to me passing within inches of my elbow, but while they were waiting for traffic to clear at the intersection I went by on the right and planted myself in front of their vehicle again.
Old 10-31-09, 01:41 PM
Maaku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most dangerous thing I did this year was not while riding but driving home after a race with bike on the trunk rack. Kinda ticked off at my performance that day, I was driving kinda recklessly. Wanted to pass another car, switched lanes without looking into the path of a speeding SUV. If he didn't slow down, he would have plowed right into my rear end with my bike on it!
Old 10-31-09, 02:09 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got cancer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.